Another stealership horror story.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my daughters vehicle in Colorado had a dead battery. It wouldn't jump so she had it towed to a dealership.
Long story short a bad battery cost her $700 after diagnostics, new battery and a Fuel Injector service they talked her into.

Ridiculous. I told her to find a local trusted shop to go to next time.
This is why I like to have family nearby. Family that are not car people, that is, so I can lend a hand.
Your daughter got caught up in the moment. It happens to all of us one time or another.
Hopefully this experience teaches her a valuable lesson. If so, it is $$ well spent.

I just went through a similar experience with my niece's '15 Odyssey. $3,100 bill and they misdiagnosed part of the problem.
If she is gonna be there for some time, perhaps find a shop she can trust to help with her car.
Of course, finding a shop to trust is sometimes easier said than done. Good luck.

Oh yeah, perhaps buy one of those battery pack jumpers. I just did.

Lets look at the bill. Have her take a snap of it.

Part of the bill is towing.

Lots of things could have happened, but likely not.

The injector cleaning was 99% a rip off.

Yep, a breakdown of the bill is necessary. You probably have $500 just in the battery, diagnostics and installation. One good thing about a dealer battery is they *should* connect a scan tool and do all the relearning procedures new cars require with battery replacements. This can be a disaster with a battery installed in an Autozone parking lot.

Yep, a breakdown of the bill is necessary. You probably have $500 just in the battery, diagnostics and installation. One good thing about a dealer battery is they *should* connect a scan tool and do all the relearning procedures new cars require with battery replacements. This can be a disaster with a battery installed in an Autozone parking lot.

Im fully ready to criticize the bill but need to be fair about seeing what happened prior.

Sometimes the relearn stuff is everything - idle, idle with AC in park vs drive, window auto open, everything.
Some cars you want to power through the data port or keep live with a charger in "supply mode" to avoid all this.

If she had a garage or house and or an extension cord and sub 100 maintainer would have likely gotten her to 7 years.

I was a service writer as a kid, so I try to be fair about these things.

I agree with everything you say, except the cost. It's a Chevy. I had the battery replaced on our BMW E90. $172.50 labor, $287.00 for the battery, $459.50 total. In late model BMWs the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) needs to be reprogrammed.

Scott

I guess it is this:

A high-pressure cleaning solution is attached to the fuel system at the engine. The technician runs the engine exclusively on the cleaning solution which breaks down carbon, grime, and debris build-up on the fuel injectors, and washes any deposits from the rest of the fuel system.
This is what it is superposed to be. With reputable dealerships it's just not "pouring fuel injector cleaner" in the gas tank. Lots of ignorant comments on this thread.

I guess it is this:

A high-pressure cleaning solution is attached to the fuel system at the engine. The technician runs the engine exclusively on the cleaning solution which breaks down carbon, grime, and debris build-up on the fuel injectors, and washes any deposits from the rest of the fuel system.
Hopefully!

So my daughters vehicle in Colorado had a dead battery. It wouldn't jump so she had it towed to a dealership.
Long story short a bad battery cost her $700 after diagnostics, new battery and a Fuel Injector service they talked her into.

Ridiculous. I told her to find a local trusted shop to go to next time.
Line 1: Customer states vehicle does not start, tow-in. Check and advise.

1 hr, $200

Line 2: Replace battery
0.3 hr or some menu price for labor, let's just say $60

Line 3: Fuel System Service
$200

Battery: ACDelco 47G, List is $128.95
Tax: $13-15

Total: $604

$700 seems a little high, but maybe their labor rate and parts markup is higher.

ZZman said:
I guess it is this:

This is what it is superposed to be. With reputable dealerships it's just not "pouring fuel injector cleaner" in the gas tank. Lots of ignorant comments on this thread.

The high pressure injector cleaning may be necessary on a car that has over 100k miles on it and was run with the cheapest non-top tier gas available most of it's life. But adding a bottle of Techron or other quality fuel system cleaner for a few dollars every 5000 miles would probably obviate the need for an expensive dealer service. A 2017 vehicle with 78,000 miles on it probably didn't need the dealer service, provided that they even did the high pressure service and didn't just pour in a bottle of cleaner.

$700 is 8 years of AAA plus membership @ $91/yr, something to consider going forward.

Finding a trusted indy mech is sound advice but probably not easy for a single (?) female to do. OP dad maybe can do some interweb research and find some possible indy choices.

I guess it is this:

Unless the engine is direct injected. I think the additives have to be 'in tank' only for those. Either way, I feel for your daughter. Hopefully it was a lesson learned for her.

I would treat this as a learning experience.

Hopefully she makes preparations to handle a similar situation better in the future.

We can't expect everyone to be as car savvy as the average person here.

Nothing new. You can find any trade to soak you anywhere and at any time.
Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.
Local GM dealer charged $1400 to do an alternator on a 20-year-old chevy truck. (neighbors)
But at least they cracked the bracket...but refused to make good on it.

They try this nonsense on everyone and not just young ladies... just say NO!

Line 1: Customer states vehicle does not start, tow-in. Check and advise.

1 hr, $200

Line 2: Replace battery
0.3 hr or some menu price for labor, let's just say $60

Line 3: Fuel System Service
$200

Battery: ACDelco 47G, List is $128.95
Tax: $13-15

Total: $604

$700 seems a little high, but maybe their labor rate and parts markup is higher.

I will say that replacing the battery on a 2010-2017 Equinox is not the most fun. Definitely not a 10-minute job.

Dealer estimate when I needed one on my 2015 was $300 parts and labor.

Did it myself for $100, but it took about an hour. The next time I could probably do it in 30-40 minutes.

Just a thought, How old is your daughter and do they have a signed work authorization ? I'd check with an attorney to see if there are any remedies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back