Amsoil's response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go Dragboat. We need a little humor from time to time.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ November 23, 2002, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: westex39 ]

quote:

Let me say it in another way... If your engine doesn't get any hotter than 190 degs but in maybe the heat zone in the ring area which an oil is only there for an extremely short time is maybe 350*deg's, and you have an oil that handles 445*'s verses another oil that does 490*'s, does it really matter?

I was just doing some reading on your web-site Bob and found it interesting that in your "Recommendations On How To Look For a High Shear and Sludge Resistant Oil" article, one of the important oil attributes you talk about is NOACK volatility. I couldn't agree with you more.

From bobistheoilguy.com:

Noack Volatility is a measurement of the amount of oil which is lost during engine operation because of burn-off.

There are several concerns associated with oil volatility. First, engine oil is lost and must be replaced. Additionally, the viscosity of the remaining oil increases. Moreover, oil loss could change the effectiveness of the oil as a lubricant and start to gel into sludge . The chemical properties and additive package ratio of the oil may also change as the volatile components are burned off and additives can become a contaminant increasing the acids and creating more strain on the remaining oil. Finally, there is also evidence that the volatilized oil may damage the exhaust catalyst as it passes through.

The volatility of an engine oil is measured using ASTM test method D5800 (NOACK Volatility % Evaporation Loss (ASTM D-5800)). A known weight of oil is heated to 250°C in a special chamber and held at that temperature for one hour. Air is introduced into the chamber and maintained at a constant flow rate under slight vacuum. After one hour, the amount of oil remaining in the chamber is weighed again. The percentage of oil lost is determined by comparing the remaining weight of oil with the original weight of oil.

Specifications set by ILSAC determine that the amount of engine oil lost through volatilization at 250°C for one hour should not exceed 22%. Of course in this case the lower this number the better the oil will hold up and no additional oil will be needed between oil changes.

Tommy, Read the WHOLE page not just the one thing that MIGHT make the oil good. If you have a point to be made here, make it, but don't nit pick nor manipulate my comments.

Base your decision on the COMPLETE package. What else does the page recommend and for what reason?

O.K., I think I have it now:

When Amsoil is concerned, NOACK is just "frivolous information" from a Technical Data Sheet

quote:

I'm seeing a lot of mention on amsoil this and that and how it's TD#s are superiour over all these other oils and with all this TD info flying around, poor guys that have no clue on basic fundimental lubrication priciples are being baffled with a lot of frivoulis information as to how other oils burn off but not theirs and because it can stand up to a few more degrees of temp that any other oil that cannot must burn off but yet an engine will never produce that amount of temp therefore will not burn off either in real life application.

but when looking for a shear and sludge resistant oil is concerned, then NOACK volatilty is something that one should pay attention to.

Tommy,

Since you think you have it as you "say " you do why don't you just drop this one and lead some sort of crusade on another topic ?

You have made your points so now is time to drop it

It would make the Moderator posting this a happy man but it takes two to Tango and you have been given some good advice from one

[ November 24, 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back