Amsoil - Performance Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this post a while back and maybe got the wrong impression. Page 29. On or before year 2010 API SM

GTL has been around for decades.
Read starting at page 28 and further pages describing why Mobil 1 is reformulating. Page 29 states Visom is a precursor to GTL. (not GTL) Presently Mobil 1 is using GTL. Are they being supplied GTL by SOPUS, or do they manufacture their own? This write up was before 2010…

IMO I believe this is response to Shell Pearl oil startup with full production in 2012. ExxonMobil needs at that time to compete with Shell.

Last edited:
Some history of GTL also know as the Fischer Tropsch process. From Wiki;

The Fischer–Tropsch process is a collection of chemical reactions that converts a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen, known as syngas, into liquid hydrocarbons. These reactions occur in the presence of metal catalysts, typically at temperatures of 150–300 °C (302–572 °F) and pressures of one to several tens of atmospheres. The process was first developed by Franz Fischerand Hans Tropsch at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Coal Research in Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany, in 1925.[1]

As a premier example of C1 chemistry, the Fischer–Tropsch process is an important reaction in both coal liquefaction and gas to liquids technology for producing liquid hydrocarbons.[2] In the usual implementation, carbon monoxide and hydrogen, the feedstocks for FT, are produced from coal, natural gas, or biomass in a process known as gasification. The process then converts these gases into synthetic lubrication oil and synthetic fuel.[3]

I know that there are a bunch of work trucks out there, with less than stellar maintenance intervals, done at "oil change places" using whatever bulk oil is on special, that run fine for 250k. Point being, I would think that you would never know "how good" an oil is until you tear a piece of equipment down, or have a lubricant related failure, and how many times have you seen a lubricant fail.........if so it is usually not the lubes fault, it is abuse or other.

Amsoil has stepped up their game over the years. These tests are not cheap to run but it's always nice to see these things if available. Telling me your oil has 1 trillion ppm of moly tells me nothing.

No, I don't sell Amsoil and no I don't think you "need" a boutique oil. Just putting it out there. Like Mobil and their testing, it gives a bit more to work with.

View attachment 131923
View attachment 131925
View attachment 131926
A recent video with Gale Banks and some "scientists" from Amsoil surfaced on you tube......In this video thay went over in great detail about the different types of oils and the like.........and in the video, the "scientist" CLEARLY states that Amsoil uses Group 3 oils in their products as the base oil, and elaborates that group 3 are "great".......In the same breath, he states that " we did not create the standard or definition of a synthetic oil"...........

which is really saying........." we market our stuff as 100% synthetic, but it is not as our base is mineral oil, good mineral oil, but mineral oil nonetheless."

start watching at about 8:30 seconds on through to validate the above statement.

I will add that at no point does this person say they use PAO in their products..............which i would think would be a selling point.

A recent video with Gale Banks and some "scientists" from Amsoil surfaced on you tube......In this video thay went over in great detail about the different types of oils and the like.........and in the video, the "scientist" CLEARLY states that Amsoil uses Group 3 oils in their products as the base oil, and elaborates that group 3 are "great".......In the same breath, he states that " we did not create the standard or definition of a synthetic oil"...........

which is really saying........." we market our stuff as 100% synthetic, but it is not as our base is mineral oil, good mineral oil, but mineral oil nonetheless."

start watching at about 8:30 seconds on through to validate the above statement.

I will add that at no point does this person say they use PAO in their products..............which i would think would be a selling point.

You need to listen a bit better. Wow.

Please relisten and update your post, because frankly you are incorrect.

SOME Grp III base oils are GREAT and we use SOME in SOME of our products.

Plus the usual misinformed mantra that Group 3 base stocks aren’t synthetic.

Looks like a post to just stir things up rather than provide any substantive information.
You need to listen a bit better. Wow.

Please relisten and update your post, because frankly you are incorrect.

SOME Grp III base oils are GREAT and we use SOME in SOME of our products.
The guy says that they use group 3 in their products, then goes on to say that they "come from the ground" and "we did not define this"..........how is my post wrong?

So many people sell Amsoil as 100% synthetic and explain in their sales pitch how others are not 100% synthetic, and if using base oils that come from the ground, by definition are not 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back