Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used Mobil 1 in every car I've ever owned, currently BMW 530i and Subaru Legacy, both 2005 models. I've always changed my daughters vehicles with M1 also. Yesterday, I orderd some Amsoil 5-w3o for the Subaru, and am contemplating using Amsoil 0-W40 for the BMW. I would really appreciate all of your opinions of Amsoil vs. Mobil One. Thanks in advance.

Amsoil works fine. For the BMW you probably want the AFL 5w-40. The 0w-40 is for snowblowers and things like that.

-brian

Good Morning,
I firmly believe Amsoil is the better choice. Prior to finding out about Amsoil almost five years ago, I would usually alternate between Mobil 1 and Castrol.

If you look at the test data Amsoil publishes(or go to Mobil 1's website for the information), Amsoil tops Mobil 1 in all the test data that I have seen.

Some of these diffences may seem miniscule at first glance. Howvever, I believe this indicates that Amsoil will hold up better than Mobil 1. Holding up better will mean better protection and fewer vehicle repairs down the road.

What I think is interesting is that Mobil One is now promoting a series of products designed for extended drain intervals. This is something Amsoil has been promoting for their products since 1972. I would really like to see how Amsoil compares to Mobil 1's new oil.

If you have the time, do a test with your lawn mower or lawn tractor. I know, I know, wrong time of the year. Seriously though, it will be easier to tell a performance difference in small power equipment than your automobiles.

Since I am new here, I am not trying to give an expert opinion. Just thought I would share my thoughts.

Thanks,
bjohnson

I've used Mobil and Amsoil. Mobil 1 is one of the best over the counter oils. Amsoil is formulated for extended drain intervals and offers better valvetrain protection in many cases. It would be a shame to use Amsoil and drain it every 3-5Kmi. How often do you change your oil? Check out Amsoil's SDF oil filters for the Subaru. You are probably using BMW or MANN oil filters in the BMW?

Brian

Just got the Subaru, but I am planning 6 month drain intervals. The car is used exclusively for short trip use.. Also will be using Amsoil filter. As for the BMW, the recommended OCI is 15k, with on-board monitor updates. I do 5 month/7500 miles OCI with MANN filter.

Comparing Mobil 1 to Amsoil is like comparing Honda to Toyota, you can't go wrong with either. The both use high quality additives and base stocks and continuely "one up" each other every few years or so. I also think when comparing Mobil 1 to Amsoil you should focus on which specific viscosity grade of oil, because each has a few that are better then the competitors grade. For instance, I think Amsoil 5w-30 is a bit better than Mobil 1 5w-30. I would also go with real world data and look at the used oil analysis section. PDS and Amsoil's comparisons just don't do it for me.

I can (only) add to your questions. I find it interesting that a few posters recently have noted that some of Amsoil's oils are zinc and phosphorus rich, if I understood their comments. They also noted that Amsoil's oils are not API certified. Maybe in their current formulation, with that balance of additives, they can't be ILSAC GF-4 certified, anyway. This subject about Amsoil comes up every other month, and I am sure I still don't understand it correctly, or its full significance. Good to do a search on here.

I use the Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - same oil as the ASL 5W-30 - in one of my newer vehicles, and will continue to do so because of so many experts on here that recommend it. Like the ubiquitous-poster buster above. Plus my car seems to really like it!

Before the knowledge I have learned from this forum I used Mobil 1 5W/30 in my wife's BMW's. I used Amsoil for one time and will not use again. Price too high for results gained. I am now going to use 0W/30 German Castrol in my wife's current and future BMW's. I use Mobil 1 in my Tundra, daughters Excursion, Honda Accord, and 4Runner.
cheers.gif

They are both excellent. I have found the Amsoil to give slightly better wear numbers. I used Mobil 1 since it first came out and had nothing but experiences with it. I decided to try Amsoil a few years ago after becoming confused/frustrated/annoyed about Mobil 1's guidance on drain intervals and viscosity. I couldn't get anything other than a by the book answer, which wasn't what I was looking for. So far I have been very pleased with Amsoil. I think you you'd be pleased with either.

Either product will do great. I prefer Amsoil simply because it's easy to get. Order it off the website or from a dealer, and in a couple days it's at your doorstep. No hassling with Wal-Mart or the overpriced auto stores, and I don't have to waste time finding what I want.

Why would anyone use Amsoil 25000 mile oil when their cars are in the warranty period requiring at least two oil changes per year. Most any engine will last 200- to 300,000 miles using any good dino the factory recommended intervals.

My opinion: Don't bother with Amsoil unless you are going to do 25,000 mile or one year OCI's.

From Amsoil's website:

quote:

AMSOIL products are available for less.
The suggested retail price of the top oil in ExxonMobil’s new line, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, is $5.79 to $5.99 a quart. That’s right in line with AMSOIL 5W-30 and 10W-30, which retail for $5.95 a quart. By registering as an AMSOIL Preferred Customer, customers pay only $4.65 a quart, and even less when purchasing by the case.

Might be a first...Amsoil is cheaper then Mobil 1 !

This is tough. I don't care much for Amsoil. Lots of that has to do with MLM business. It also has to do with a bad experience in a Mopar automatic transmission I had almost 15 years ago. It's a lot more volatile than I think it should be, and once you factor out all the percentages of the price that everyone up the pyramid from you gets, it's fairly inexpensively made.

OTOH, it did give me a good UOA the one recent time I tested it.

One thing M1 does is stay in grade. Amsoil frequently does not. Again, not a shortcoming I think an oil of the type it's supposed to be should do.

I really don't think you'll have any issues at all with either, and frankly you'll probably do every ounce as well for half the money by using Delo 400 or Delvac 1300 Super.
My $0.02

Im not trying to steer you away from Amsoil - I've been a dealer since 1978. That said, I recently changed the oil in my 2003 Mercury Gran Marquis from the Amsoil ASL product to Mobil 1 EP 5w-30. What led me to change oils are the numerous posts on this web site about the Amsoil xw-30 weight oils having a tendency to thicken out of grade. In some cases, thickening to a 15w-40 after 8k miles. I think I read one uoa where the ASL had thickened to a 50 wt. I don't remember the mileage. Here is an oil study that you might find interesting. The study is located at http://oilstudy.spacebears.com.
Personally I have not been doing oil analysis on the Mercury because in 30 months it had only been drive 11k. Most of that coming during the last 9 months. You might do some searches on this site to see what the uoa's have shown.

>>>In some cases, thickening to a 15w-40 after 8k miles.

I've seen a number of posts which showed the xW-30 became an xW-40 after use, but I have yet to see anyone who put a specific figure on the Xw.
Just wondering where that came from.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
From Amsoil's website:

quote:

AMSOIL products are available for less.
The suggested retail price of the top oil in ExxonMobil’s new line, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, is $5.79 to $5.99 a quart. That’s right in line with AMSOIL 5W-30 and 10W-30, which retail for $5.95 a quart. By registering as an AMSOIL Preferred Customer, customers pay only $4.65 a quart, and even less when purchasing by the case.

Might be a first...Amsoil is cheaper then Mobil 1 !

What is the cost of the oil when the preferred customer charge is added to the price of the oil plus shipping and taxed at retail price? .

I think a few changing factors with M1 may change some peoples' views a little. I saw M1 EP at Autozone for $6.99 a quart. I know it was AZ but thats pricey for OTC oil. We'll see here, real world, how extended drains between the two compare. I guess that most will be without a bypass and a few will be with a bypass filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back