API ratings in relation to Dexos2?

If you worry about the manual, then stick with their grade recommendation too :rolleyes:

Whatever Hyundai recommends isn't going to save your engine. A recommendation isn't a requirement.

What you use depends on your unknown location. I would take any 5w40 from walmart/napa/autozone/oreilly/carquest/advance and not worry about ANY of the API or ACEA.
I'm in Canada but the vehicle is only driven in the summer so +28c average temperatures.

Should I not be concerned with avoiding LSPI via oil ratings since it's T-GDI?

I'm thinking Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 is likely a safe bet?

Last edited:
No LSPI concern.... wasn't really a theta2 issue. Be more concerned with intake valve deposits and consider a yearly IVD spraying.
Your fuel choice should keep the pistons, injectors, and combustions chambers clean, which is most of the battle. Consumers are the cause of most issues with pathetic fuels and maintenance intervals.

Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil, Castrol.... all make excellent 5w40's.

To clear up some misinformation.

Dexos 2 is both a gasoline and diesel spec. It is a spec called for in some US manufactured gasoline engines as well. I own one.

Dexos 2 DOES include a test for lspi...

That said API SP calls for more than just LSPI mitigation. It also includes chain wear mitigation among others

Follow your mamuals recommendation if you want to comply with warranty and also with what the engineers want in your engine.

Choosing a United States top tier fuel while helpful for many things will not directly mitigate LSPI.

Correct, the fuel has never been shown to have a correlation to LSPI. Many people confuse pre-ignition knock with LSPI.

Also the warranty is not predicted on the manual recommendation.

You should forget this oil and get M1 ESP X3 0W-40 if you wanted a dexos2 oil. It’s also SN+ and has lowered calcium. After reading, if I owned that engine I’d just run M1 FS 0W-40 which is now API SP.

If the LSPI is your concern then I would keep with the GF6A license with the lower calcium.

However no one really knows for certain exactly how the phenomenon of LSPI occurs. The thought process is soot will build up on the piston, and or ring packs - the soot will act like sponge, absorbing fuel and oil (calcium), and when the piston travels upwards and the combustion chamber pressure increases the area containing the soot/fuel/calcium will ignite BEFORE the spark plug fires. This will create increased pressure adding to the flame fronts colliding, causing damage to the piston. And boom! There goes the piston. Maybe.

You’d need a turbo/DI engine for this to occur, which you have. Yet, for years European cars have gone on their extended intervals using oils that would not have met these lower calcium oil specifications. So, I’m not sure how frequently LSPI happens, or how much lower calcium add packs actually prevents it. And I’m not certain you’d have to have a turbo for this to happen either, but I do think soot is possibly a factor. But all this is different than detonation, which occurs AFTER the spark on the power stroke (and causes less frequent damage because it happens after that spark and perhaps not when the piston is actually traveling upwards on that compression stroke). Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back