Getting extremely confused on what to use in 2021 Veloster N

Vehicle is a 2021 Veloster N 2.0t

I'm too far down the rabbit hole to make my own decision anymore and I'm pretty lost in the sauce.

I'm currently running Motul X-Clean efe 5w30, I noticed the manual says API SP OR ACEA C2 (X-Clean is a c2/c3) and I drive it fairly hard, nothing crazy but I do the odd back road run, I'm wondering if this oil is adequate as I'll be doing a lot of regular driving as well. The other option is to dump a bunch of money again (just changed the oil last week) and put in some Motul Xcess gen 2 5w40 which is API SP but ACEA A3/B4?

I've been using Motul products for ages because I come from the Subaru world and I can get it cheap from a shop owner I'm friends with (he recommends using Motul).

The whole oil thing is confusing the hell out of me and the more I read the more confused I get. I just want a decent oil that will keep my motor healthy. Is the Motul x clean efe 5w30 going to accomplish this? Should I bump up to the Xcess gen 2 5w40? Should I not use Motul all together?

Added a link to the owners manual. (I don't drive it in the winter)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230814-093742.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814-093742.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 97
What makes you think you shouldn't use what the manual recommends?
I am, Motul X-Clean efe is a ACEA C2/C3 and it says use latest ilsac or C2?

Do you have an oil recommendation? I thought I was pretty clear the in the OP I'm confused as hell about this. The performance shop I use put in Motul and the specs seemed to match?

I am, Motul X-Clean efe is a ACEA C2/C3 and it says use latest ilsac or C2?

Do you have an oil recommendation? I thought I was pretty clear the in the OP I'm confused as hell about this. The performance shop I use put in Motul and the specs seemed to match?

The oil in the car now is already overkill compared to Hyundai's recommendation. The car calls for minimum of API SP 0w30, which is a bog standard 30 grade oil with an HTHS of about 3.1. The oil you are using is a minimum HTHS of 3.5. This is very close to a 40 grade oil already. Changing the oil to the 40 grade Motul is a waste of time and money.

The difference between C2/C3 and A3/B4 is SAPS levels. In basic terms, how much sulfated ash and phosphorous is in the oil. C2/C3 is a cleaner, more modern standard. Should you use A3/B4 instead? Only if you like more carbon buildup.

Keep using what you are using, Motul makes great oils, have you compared the PDS and SDS of both the 5W-30 and 5W-40?
Get a VOA on both oils, which might not tell you much, or see if you can find the HTHS Numbers of both oils.

Keep using what you are using, Motul makes great oils, have you compared the PDS and SDS of both the 5W-30 and 5W-40?
Get a VOA on both oils, which might not tell you much, or see if you can find the HTHS Numbers of both oils.
I haven't got a VOA for either but I've seen some UOA for them. I think there's one VOA on this site for the X-Clean. I'll be 100% with you I'm not even sure what PDS or SDS is, I'll have to check the acronyms.

From the sounds of it looks like I'll just keep using the Motul X clean efe

This chart has the HTHS for the X clean efe

HTHS viscosity at 150°C (302°F) ASTM D4741 3.5 mPa.s

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230814-095857.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814-095857.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 20
Would it be better so switch to the Xcess gen 2 5w40 since it's API SP despite being ACEA A3/B4?
I wouldn't worry about the API spec with that car. The Euro specs are more demanding. Visit this site... It will give you a better understanding as to an Approval's, Rating's and Certification's' abilities.
Be carful not to compare...

1692029384347.png

Last edited:
I haven't got a VOA for either but I've seen some UOA for them. I think there's one VOA on this site for the X-Clean. I'll be 100% with you I'm not even sure what PDS or SDS is, I'll have to check the acronyms.

From the sounds of it looks like I'll just keep using the Motul X clean efe

This chart has the HTHS for the X clean efe

HTHS viscosity at 150°C (302°F) ASTM D4741 3.5 mPa.s

Never mind, no VOA needed, a 3.5 HTHS, those are like Euro Specs and CK-4 Specs. I did not look at the Attachment in your 1st post, stick with this oil you are using.

Vehicle is a 2021 Veloster N 2.0t

I'm too far down the rabbit hole to make my own decision anymore and I'm pretty lost in the sauce.

I'm currently running Motul X-Clean efe 5w30, I noticed the manual says API SP OR ACEA C2 (X-Clean is a c2/c3) and I drive it fairly hard, nothing crazy but I do the odd back road run, I'm wondering if this oil is adequate as I'll be doing a lot of regular driving as well. The other option is to dump a bunch of money again (just changed the oil last week) and put in some Motul Xcess gen 2 5w40 which is API SP but ACEA A3/B4?

I've been using Motul products for ages because I come from the Subaru world and I can get it cheap from a shop owner I'm friends with (he recommends using Motul).

The whole oil thing is confusing the hell out of me and the more I read the more confused I get. I just want a decent oil that will keep my motor healthy. Is the Motul x clean efe 5w30 going to accomplish this? Should I bump up to the Xcess gen 2 5w40? Should I not use Motul all together?

Added a link to the owners manual. (I don't drive it in the winter)
That manual recommendation is fairly broad which makes me think that Hyundai is just opting for the latest API requirement (SP).

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 would be very similar to Motul X-clean efe 5w30 but it also meets API SP. The big difference between C2 and C3 is that C2 has a fuel efficiency requirement. Some oils can meet it with a hths over 3.5cP.

Another vote for Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, may be more available, cheaper and actually a better oil than the Motul you are running now.
Would it make a large difference? The performance shop I use stocks Motul and sells it to me at cost since I know the owner, otherwise I'd have to bring in the Mobil 1 myself.

Back