A2Z-FE High oil consumption- What type oil should I try? 2009 Toyota Matrix S 2.4L 175miles

I chronicled my 2AZ oil burning saga in a thread
Piston soaks, idle flushes, 0w40, and HPL Products

Did it help?
In 2013 I bought one Matrix for my daughter and one for my daughter-in-law. I drained the 0w20 FF on both around 600 miles, and put in
PC Duron 10w30. In the spring of 2014 I went 50/50 10w30 and 15w40 Duron, both of the same CJ-4 chemistry. Vis @ 100C about 13.50.
Both were 5 speed standards. My daughter the far more aggressive driver drove the crap out of her car. Driving 45 miles to and from UBC on the Sea to Sky highway with her foot to the floor the whole way. That car ended up with straight 15w40 and once went 12,000 miles before I got around to changing the oil. It was just above the add line.
Previous to the Matrix, she drove a 2010 Yaris. Same thing, except one year I put SAE 40 in it. That car never used oil, and was a trade in for her Matrix. As a precaution, I only mix 'n match the same brand and family of engine oils.
If I had to suggest one cold climate oil for year round use I'd pick Chevron Delo 400 5w40 CK-4/SN plus.
Mobil 5w50 Dexos R would be interesting.

Last edited:
In 2013 I bought one Matrix for my daughter and one for my daughter-in-law. I drained the 0w20 FF on both around 600 miles, and put in
PC Duron 10w30. In the spring of 2014 I went 50/50 10w30 and 15w40 Duron, both of the same CJ-4 chemistry. Vis @ 100C about 13.50.
Both were 5 speed standards. My daughter the far more aggressive driver drove the crap out of her car. Driving 45 miles to and from UBC on the Sea to Sky highway with her foot to the floor the whole way. That car ended up with straight 15w40 and once went 12,000 miles before I got around to changing the oil. It was just above the add line.
Previous to the Matrix, she drove a 2010 Yaris. Same thing, except one year I put SAE 40 in it. That car never used oil, and was a trade in for her Matrix. As a precaution, I only mix 'n match the same brand and family of engine oils.
If I had to suggest one cold climate oil for year round use I'd pick Chevron Delo 400 5w40 CK-4/SN plus.
Mobil 5w50 Dexos R would be interesting.
I bet she had fun, the sea to sky Hwy is beautiful! I grew up in BC, I'm in the Texas heat with this Matrix now- so no cold weather concerns.

I had a saturn s-series with the same problem-- low tension rings, burning oil, but a quart every 550 miles or so.

The burning oil caused knocking, as oil is very low octane. The knock sensor picked up on this and pulled timing, so the car ran poorly compared to its peak ability. Once reassembled it burned no oil and ran better.

I pulled the pan, timing cover, and head one weekend, did the rings, head gasket, and timing set. Your car is set up similarly, and you're about 85% in to doing what you need to do.

I bet she had fun, the sea to sky Hwy is beautiful! I grew up in BC, I'm in the Texas heat with this Matrix now- so no cold weather concerns.
So I converted kms to miles for nothing?
Now she drives a 2018 3500 Duramax and I've seen her pass a string of cars up a 7% grade at 170.
Lytton, BC hit 49.6C June 29, 2021. Beat that Texas.

Last edited:
Cylinders are holding mystery oil and it has not drained down in an hour. I had the head machined and am replacing the head gasket, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, head bolts and fluids. Engine is still in the car. I’m working in a small home garage with limited tools. 3rd photo is before pistons were cleaned. A2Z-Fe 175 miles 2009 Toyota Matrix S without Service Bulletin completed. Where is a quart of oil every 200 miles going??
CA25B325-37E3-41F1-8FB8-4410B3B5C405.jpeg

Attachments

• 78AA23FC-98CE-46F8-AB64-D9BBF4097A0A.jpeg
    78AA23FC-98CE-46F8-AB64-D9BBF4097A0A.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 4F3E3896-6831-4C3E-8EA6-2FF8BDC14BF6.jpeg
    4F3E3896-6831-4C3E-8EA6-2FF8BDC14BF6.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 82
So I converted kms to miles for nothing?
Now she drives a 2018 3500 Duramax and I've seen her pass a string of cars up a 7% grade at 170.
Lytton, BC hit 49.6C June 29, 2021. Beat that Texas.
Yep, I speak Km! ;) I watched those temps of near 50C and couldn’t believe it! I grew up in Williams Lake. My daughter went to UBC. I’m going to be an oil consumption recording freak and pass cars on those mountains on my next trip home!

Tough to tell from the photo but that cylinder looks like crap. Is it pitted/scored? I definitely see vertical streaks at least. Can you catch your nail on any of that?

Tough to tell from the photo but that cylinder looks like crap. Is it pitted/scored? I definitely see vertical streaks at least. Can you catch your nail on any of that?
It's only discoloration. Can't catch your nail on the cylinder walls, or feel anything rough to the touch. You can still see the cross-hatching.

Cylinders are holding mystery oil and it has not drained down in an hour. I had the head machined and am replacing the head gasket, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, head bolts and fluids. Engine is still in the car. I’m working in a small home garage with limited tools. 3rd photo is before pistons were cleaned. A2Z-Fe 175 miles 2009 Toyota Matrix S without Service Bulletin completed. Where is a quart of oil every 200 miles going??
For reference here is an engine that burned 1 quart of oil in about 800 miles or so.

IMG_1293.JPG

Cylinders are holding mystery oil and it has not drained down in an hour. I had the head machined and am replacing the head gasket, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, head bolts and fluids. Engine is still in the car. I’m working in a small home garage with limited tools. 3rd photo is before pistons were cleaned. A2Z-Fe 175 miles 2009 Toyota Matrix S without Service Bulletin completed. Where is a quart of oil every 200 miles going??View attachment 148991
If you're going that deep, why not pull the pistons out and install new ones?

Back