So we're all buying Toyotas now 🤔

Screenshot_20220215-011516.jpg

I won this 2009 xB on eBay, I'm gonna go pick it up Friday

281k, warned of grinding brakes and having to add oil 🛢️

Bring on the piston soak 😈

I got a few cans of on sale B12 chemtool, and a can of Kroil, might let it soak for multiple days

It's an auto, coming from it's first and only owner, and all 4 hub cabs are intact

The service history shows it's been moderately loved over it's 13 years

This will be interesting 🤔, compared to Project Milan

As this project will be about keeping costs down, and this vehicle has no specific purpose at this time

If you got time and money to waste - then go through with your methods. There may be small improvements, but none will be permanent unfortunately. I would rather just go straight to this:

I miss my 2009 Scion xB. A deer took it away from me. If I find a 5-speed manual locally, I'm snatching it. Should be a good deal too due to all the oil burning, but thankfully now there is HPL EC to help in that battle.

Last edited:
I think you'll love it. Not only because it's free but because they're overall quite reliable and quite a flexible vehicle.
I'd take it. (y)

Some people misunderstood, I won the eBay auction, it's not free

$1426 was the final bid

I'm getting shipping quotes to get it the 30 miles or so home, because how can I drive with no plates🤷‍♂️
Very carefully. What we did (do at your own risk) when my brother bought a Dakota was he followed right behind me in his Dart while I drove the truck, the only way to see the truck had no plate was to get up beside us. He did have insurance on the truck when we did that though.

Or according to the NY bmv website, it’s $12.50 for an instate “intrastate” travel permit that’s good for 30 days. This option is less fun IMO.

I’ve always liked those xB’s… there used to be a silver one I’d see riding around that was lowered, like really low but I never heard it scraping even on terrible roads. The license plate on that one said “TOASTR” 🤣

$1426 was the final bid

I'm getting shipping quotes to get it the 30 miles or so home, because how can I drive with no plates🤷‍♂️
That was a really good deal.
Doesn't NY offer transport tags?

View attachment 88991

I got a few cans of on sale B12 chemtool, and a can of Kroil, might let it soak for multiple days

It's an auto, coming from it's first and only owner, and all 4 hub cabs are intact

As this project will be about keeping costs down, and this vehicle has no specific purpose at this time
My guess the soak will not help anything with the oil consumption, it may make it worst, because it is typical the valve seal will break down after 10 years. Old seal plus Kroil is recipe for quick destroy.

View attachment 88991

Michael,

NADA prices listed below. Good Luck, it looks initially like you got a good deal on this and can afford to spend some money on the problems it might have.

I was wondering why a few posts said it was free. :p
Heck, at that price, I would have bought it and I'm 6'6".
When I test drove one of these ages ago it had tons of "van like "headroom and I am 6'-1"+
They also have a cool gauge cluster. I didnt like how it drove though. This is the "Big" one with the camry engine and long wheelbase.

cool(?) center-focused gauge cluster:

2011-scion-xB_dashboard.jpg

I've been afraid to buy such a vehicle for even very cheap because even though it's "cheap", if it turns out to be a total dud then you're out that money still. Like just throwing away whatever you spent on it.

$1426 was the final bid

Here in Ontario, you can legally put any currently valid plate you own, that has insurance tied to it, onto a new vehicle for up to 10 days.

Back