A2Z-FE High oil consumption- What type oil should I try? 2009 Toyota Matrix S 2.4L 175miles

My A2Z-FE engine is consuming a large amount of oil- what oil should I use? It's a 2009 Toyota Matrix S 2.4L with 175 miles. The Toyota piston/rings High Oil consumption Service Bulletin was not performed as best as I can tell from talking to Toyota. What brand, viscosity, and oil additives can I try to reduce the consumption and extend the life of my otherwise fantastic little car? Can anyone link me to past threads? I'm searched but am only finding references to them. Thoughts on Valvoline Maxlife? Which viscosity? I was using Castro High milage 5W30 and that didn't help.

Nothing is likely to fix it entirely short of a tear down, but what mattd suggested should help. HPL stands for High Performance Lubricants (google their web site). They sell an engine cleaning product that stays in the oil for the duration of the oil change interval that can help break up carbon deposits in the piston ring lands.

Nothing is likely to fix it entirely short of a tear down, but what mattd suggested should help. HPL stands for High Performance Lubricants (google their web site). They sell an engine cleaning product that stays in the oil for the duration of the oil change interval that can help break up carbon deposits in the piston ring lands.

Great info and thanks for explaining the acronym.

Are you sure it's not leaking oil? At 200 miles a quart it should be smoking a lot.
It's not smoking and I can't find any leaks. I keep in it the garage and the floor is clean. No signs of leaks when running it. Replaced the valve cover and am replacing the head gasket.

x2, might as well fix it correctly.
Car Care Nuts on YT have a full on video about changing the Piston ring in a 2AZ-FE.

Piston soak with berrymans B12 follow by an OCI with HPL EC with some short intervals of an Ester based oil
I am replacing the head gasket and have direct access to the piston tops right now. Can I add Berrymans B12 directly to the rings or should I do it after I get it all back together?

My grandmother had a Chevy Prizm with the 1.8 with the same type of issue. We tried all sorts of things and ultimately settled on just keeping it topped off with the cheapest 5w30 we could find. She ran it that way from 50k to 175k and the next owner drove it for awhile after that. In her case, the car wasn't worth much so the repair would have been hard to justify. That equation may differ in today's market though. Aside from the inconvenience and one catalytic converter replacement the oil burning really wasn't a big deal.

I am replacing the head gasket and have direct access to the piston tops right now. Can I add Berrymans B12 directly to the rings or should I do it after I get it all back together?
Absolutely. Pour an ample amount of it over the pistons and let it soak into the ring lands. Make sure to flush the oil pan when you are finished, as you don't want a solvent like that circulating among your new gaskets. It will not be good for them.

It will be most effective if you give it enough time to work. In essence, you want the solvent to get all the way down to the oil rings and dissolve carbon there, along with the oil ring's oil drain holes.

B12 is a good product. There are other products that also work very well to dissolve carbon. Methylene Chloride based paint gun cleaners come to mind. Hard to find now, but extremely effective and fast.

Last edited:
Have you considered removing the spark plugs and checking out the inside of your cylinders for their condition? You can use a borescope to do that.

My A2Z-FE engine is consuming a large amount of oil- what oil should I use? It's a 2009 Toyota Matrix S 2.4L with 175 miles. The Toyota piston/rings High Oil consumption Service Bulletin was not performed as best as I can tell from talking to Toyota. What brand, viscosity, and oil additives can I try to reduce the consumption and extend the life of my otherwise fantastic little car? Can anyone link me to past threads? I'm searched but am only finding references to them. Thoughts on Valvoline Maxlife? Which viscosity? I was using Castro High milage 5W30 and that didn't help
Absolutely. Pour an ample amount of it over the pistons and let it soak into the ring lands. Make sure to flush the oil pan when you are finished, as you don't want a solvent like that circulating among your new gaskets. It will not be good for them.

It will be most effective if you give it enough time to work. In essence, you want the solvent to get all the way down to the oil rings and dissolve carbon there, along with the oil ring's oil drain holes.

B12 is a good product. There are other products that also work very well to dissolve carbon. Methylene Chloride based paint gun cleaners come to mind. Hard to find now, but extremely effective and fast.
Which Berrymans B12- Fuel injector cleaner or Carb choke and throttle cleaner?

Back