2003 Acura RSX Type-S (K20A2) E-85 Oil Suggestion?

Hello, this is my first post on here. I have a 2003 RSX Type S, with a K20A2. I street drive the car pretty often, and hit VTEC every time I go out. I have full bolt-ons, and I run E-85 for fuel full time. The engine has 150k miles on it. There's no major oil leaks, apart from a slight valve cover gasket leak, but it's not heavy at all unless it's just evaporating. There's no blue smoke out of the exhaust.

The reason I say all this is the oil is... escaping somewhere, at a rate that's higher than I'm comfortable with. I'll measure exact consumption with whatever oil I switch to next. I'm using Mobil 5W30 full synthetic. I believe the previous owner had a similar issue with Castrol Edge 5W30. I would say it's the piston rings, but the motor is otherwise healthy. Since I'm burning E-85, I know that can affect oil choice, and I see a lot of people on here suggest Mobil 0W40, and ClubRSX forums seem to think well of Amsoil 5W30 and Pennzoil 5W30, with some Royal Purple 5W30 fans mixed in there. What should I look into or try? Are there any further tests I should do? I just want to do what's right for my engine in this use case.

Last edited:
What have you done to the car to enable using E85?

The reason being, if nothing, then it is quite possible you're running lean since Honda/Acura to my knowledge never made an E85-compatible car. (Except probably a few special builds).

Looking at the owner's manual from 2003 it shows 10% ethanol maximum.

WELCOME!
I don't know if anyone can recommend an oil that will slow down your oil consumption. I mean, hitting VTEC every time you go out is also a good way to burn oil. Taking the engine into VTEC and above, and can I assume, well into redline as well? The oil has to go somewhere. Yeah, probably going past the rings

I mean, the engine isn't new, its had 150K miles worth of mods, incorrect fuel and well, VTEC often.
Someone may guess correctly as to what oil brand/grade will slow down your oil consumption but it's just a guess.

Best of luck,
CB

Last edited:
Insert "when the vtec kicks in yo'"meme... j/k! Cool car.

You could certainly try going to one of the Euro oils like M1 5W40 and see if your consumption slows down. I'm a fan of Liquimoly oils and they have a few that would be appropriate too - 5W40 Molygen could be a good one. Doing something to try to help clean out the ring area *could* be helpful as well. Adding a bottle of the HPL Engine Cleaner discussed on this forum frequently (search) in a 30W with your current fill, run it for 2K miles, then use a product like Liquimoly Engine Flush prior to your drain and change over to the 5W40 *could* also be beneficial here.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlk
The OP has likely tuned the car and added the necessary hardware to run/make more power with E85 folks...you typically don't just run it for the fun of it b/c you get poor mpgs that often don't offset the price differential. You run it b/c you tuned for it/have hardware for it b/c you make that sweet sweet CORN POWAAAAAA!

Last edited:
Oh boy I didn't expect to hear back this soon! Yes, I have a K-Pro v4 modified ECU and I run a GM Flex Fuel sensor, with steel braided teflon fuel lines, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc. The car has been dyno tuned on E-85 and makes 240 HP to the wheels.

The reason I came here about it is that I know E-85 can "wash" the cylinder walls because you have to spray something like 33% more fuel to make the same power you would on regular gasoline. And it's caustic since it's 50-85% ethanol. I also read an interesting report a while ago about how this can greatly reduce the ability of oil to lubricate.

What's the benefit of running a European oil? Also with the HPL Engine Cleaner, wouldn't that just do the same thing as the E-85 is doing?

Oh boy I didn't expect to hear back this soon! Yes, I have a K-Pro v4 modified ECU and I run a GM Flex Fuel sensor, with steel braided teflon fuel lines, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc. The car has been dyno tuned on E-85 and makes 240 HP to the wheels.

The reason I came here about it is that I know E-85 can "wash" the cylinder walls because you have to spray something like 33% more fuel to make the same power you would on regular gasoline. And it's caustic since it's 50-85% ethanol. I also read an interesting report a while ago about how this can greatly reduce the ability of oil to lubricate.

What's the benefit of running a European oil? Also with the HPL Engine Cleaner, wouldn't that just do the same thing as the E-85 is doing?
Nice to see I was right about the E85 ahahaha.

The value of the Euro 40W oil is just that - the HTHS is going to be pretty high which is really what you are looking at to aid in lubrication with the issues you are facing (E85, extra power).

Not really on the HPL stuff - the E85 isn't going to be doing much that I understand w/r to cleaning out your rings.

Last edited:
Alright, I'll try LiquiMoly MolyGen 5W40 then, and try some HPL Engine Cleaner and LiquiMoly Engine Flush. I'll check the oil level every time I fill up the gas tank. Any suggestions for an oil filter? I usually just use the K&N filters because the welded-on nut makes them easier to take off.

Alright, I'll try LiquiMoly MolyGen 5W40 then, and try some HPL Engine Cleaner and LiquiMoly Engine Flush. I'll check the oil level every time I fill up the gas tank. Any suggestions for an oil filter? I usually just use the K&N filters because the welded-on nut makes them easier to take off.
Then I'd just stick with the filter you are you using/like.

I would do a piston soak with Berryman's B12 prior to running a 0/5w40 Euro oil and HPL EC30 or EC40. Don't except 100% no consumption right off the bat. The piston soak will definitely slow it and then running whatever you want to continue to clean the rings with either hpl ec30 or Rislone original yellow qt bottle or concentrate. I would do 3-5k mile oil change intervals w the EC30 or Rislone. Rislone will be slower but it does work as well. You could also run HPL's oil after the initial EC30 cleaning as it will also clean a lot stronger than the engine cleaner. Or you could run a 0/5w40 Euro in Amsoil SS, Motul Xclean, Renewable Lubricants, Mobil 1 0w40, Redline or Torco as they all contain the ester's and AN which will clean too.

Back