5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

Correct, I don't even remember what model I found but it uses the same Honda 3.5L V6 (J35XXX).

No idea but I can't imagine why they would be. They simply don't need to be. I'll bet DEXOS oil is available there since GMs are. I suspect engine oil producers follow API globally too.

Nowhere did I say not to use 0W-20. Point is Honda, etc, etc absolutely "allow" other oil viscosities to be used in the same engine in different countries.
I was waiting for this post. Dexos1 Gen 3 allows for 0w20 or 0w30. In the end I'm gonna say run whatever you feel is suitable for your application. With this being said, get yourself an oil analysis kit. It will give you the data you want to see.

Honda's powertrain is 3 years/36k miles. I wouldn't sweat about losing that warranty because of using a 5W-30 engine oil or using a VCM muffler. That warranty will be up before you know it.

To the OP, use any 5W-30 you want. As you can see in my sig, I'm using HPL's 5W-30 in my J35, but any off-the-shelf 5W-30 would be good.
Honda's Powertrain warranty on a vehicle new or used is 5 years or 60000 miles.

Yup--it seems only in the USA does 0w-20 get regularly mandated by the car manufacturers, no doubt because of fuel economy ratings. If I can safely run a 5w-30 in that engine (or 0w-30), then I want to go that route.
Run a nice good quality 5w30 like a M1 EP 5w30 or QSFS the extra protection is worth it . Also the suv is so new if a CEL goes play dumb take it to the dealership. Let them deal with it. But you should be fine

To answer your question there are lots of good oils. I personally like to use Castrol and Valvoline in my engines however I’ve used all name brands with no problems. In my brother in laws 2015 Odyssey with the 3.5 in it we have been running Toyota oil in it because I get it for $2 a quart bottle. I recently got some STP high mileage on sale though that I will be putting in there next. I avoid store brands if possible unless it’s Napa which is made by Valvoline and often on sale cheaper than any oil from Walmart. However the parts guy at work ordered me two other store brands of oil so I will give those a try as they are certified. If it were mine it would exclusively be getting Castrol or Valvoline in it just because those brands have always kept my engines spotless inside and the first time I ever changed oil it was during the time period my dad loved Castrol so we used Castrol and I’ve always just stuck with it. But you will be fine with any off the shelf brand Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil 1, Pennzoil/Quaker State, Royal Purple whatever all which are available at Walmart as long as in stock which is rare for anything to be in stock at my Walmart so I just have to take whatever sometimes haha. One of the guys at work swears by Royal Purple I’ve used it when on sale but I’m not paying full price for it.

Do as you like but I’d stick with 0W-20 because as a mechanic I’ve torn down and seen several engines tore down and todays modern engines the oil ports are so small that in my opinion you don’t want to deviate from the cap or owner’s manual. Just what I’ve seen since I entered this field.

Do as you like but I’d stick with 0W-20 because as a mechanic I’ve torn down and seen several engines tore down and todays modern engines the oil ports are so small that in my opinion you don’t want to deviate from the cap or owner’s manual.
They don't use different size oil ports in different countries (see owner's manual screenshots that allow 5W-30).

Do as you like but I’d stick with 0W-20 because as a mechanic I’ve torn down and seen several engines tore down and todays modern engines the oil ports are so small that in my opinion you don’t want to deviate from the cap or owner’s manual. Just what I’ve seen since I entered this field.
Just how big do you think oil molecules are?

Cleaning on there twice...
I love the bingo! I want to yell BINGO in two pages of a thread or less and win awesome prizes!

How 'bouts "PROTECTION" - or is that for the firearms subforum? :)

also "Mobile" but maybe you don't want to promote incorrect spelling

One person.... And by showing / proving that Honda specifies, for example, 10W-40, in these same engines that are VCM-equipped, it makes the point moot that VCM can't handle thicker oils.
No. Cause comes before effect. Honda quite clearly built a VCM system, without realizing or intending that it would be problematic. Some folks are suggesting that the VCM has narrow passages that the OW20 oil flows through better. I don't know if that is the case, but seems reasonable. What Honda specifies is not relevant.

All the VCM comments....has anyone had drama with a 2023 like the OP has? I had an '06 with bad mounts several times over my ownership but defeat devices? Is this still even an issue with the current model year? I think most of the issues being thrown out were on much older versions of this system.
My 2014 MDX is one of the oldest vehicles with the DI J35 and newest iteration of VCM. I still have a disable device installed for around town, but I enable VCM on road trips where the fuel economy really counts. Do I need one with this gen engine? No, but the fuel savings around town is minimal at best and although the newest iteration is nearly seamless without documented oil burn or mount issues, I'm still choosing to keep it simple and run on all 6.

To the OP: I run ESP 0W-30. Would run ESP 5W-30 but I can get the 5qt jug of 0W which is much more cost effective.

So I just picked up a 2023 Honda Pilot, which has their new 3.5L v6. As with all Honda engines, the manual specs 0w-20. But I just ran through the desert mountains @ 80 mph and outside temps hit 119 degrees--I don't trust any 0w-20 oil under those conditions. I'm also concerned about carbon deposits on valves with this new v6's direct injection only fuel delivery system. I do 5K OCIs. Can someone recommend a decent oil, preferably one that can be purchased at Amazon or Walmart? Thanks.
Try PUP 0w-20. It's a thick 0w-20. sb OK for 5k. Walmart delivers to your front door.

So I just picked up a 2023 Honda Pilot, which has their new 3.5L v6. As with all Honda engines, the manual specs 0w-20. But I just ran through the desert mountains @ 80 mph and outside temps hit 119 degrees--I don't trust any 0w-20 oil under those conditions. I'm also concerned about carbon deposits on valves with this new v6's direct injection only fuel delivery system. I do 5K OCIs. Can someone recommend a decent oil, preferably one that can be purchased at Amazon or Walmart? Thanks.
Hi rbk777,

I have 4 Honda Odyssey's EX-L's (8 passenger) with the 3.5 liter V6 with VCM enabled. They are speced for 20 weight oils.
I've been running 5W-30 Full Synthetic in them for years. Engines seem to run quieter with 5W-30 in them, and also the higher High Temperature High Shear of about 3.1/3.2 give me added film thickness protection when they are loaded up with 8 heavy people + luggage and we go on cross country trips including going into the mountains with long uphill grades with Air Conditioning on. This same Honda J35 engine is speced for 5W-30 and even 5W-40 in Europe / Australia.

The Walmart SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 in the 5 quart jug at Walmart is what I've decided to make my strategic choice for motor oil in all my vehicles. It is a good thick 5W-30 (KV @ 100C of 11.2). It also has a large dose of anti-wear additives of phosphorous and zinc, and a high dose of detergent (Calcium). The high dose of the detergent additive: Calcium is important to me for engine cleanliness, as the Honda J35 engines with VCM enabled have extreme hot spots on the top of the front cylinder heads, and tend to cook the oil and form deposits.

See the details on the VOA here at the highly respected Petroleum Quality Institute of America:

Some other "name brand" oils have additive packages with very low anti-wear additives and very low detergents additives, so I permanently avoid those brands.

The SuperTech Full Synthetic oils have been around forever, and are "tried and true" here on BITOG's members for decades, and have always had very good UOA's and VOA's. It's one of those rare situations when one of the lowest priced products is also among the best.

I do short 4k mile / 6 month OCI's (whichever comes first) with full synthetic 5W-30.
I also like to do engine flushes during the 1st 3 oil changes after purchasing a used vehicle, since the previous owner(s) might have gone longer than 5k OCI which is not a good idea in these engines. The engine flush I use is: STP Highly Concentrated engine flush @ $5.97 a bottle at Walmart. It has high ratings on Amazon/Walmart with new oil becoming very dark after running the flush, and STP says it's safe to use the flush with every oil change. It's not based on kerosene, as I won't use any flush that is based on kerosene.

This BITOG thread is from a BITOG moderator who did 5k/6 month OCI's in his Honda Odyssey and got some significant sludge (See the thread below). From several different threads and mechanics here on BITOG, I've learned that 5k OCI is too long in these J35 engines with VCM enabled. I prefer to keep the VCM enabled for the added fuel economy as I drive with a very light foot (conserving momentum and coasting a lot with my right foot on the floor using a gradual pulse and glide technique) so the VCM is able to turn off 3 of the cylinders most of the time. I'm getting an average of 27.5 MPG as calculated in my spreadsheet with Van loaded up with 8 people + AC on, which is decent for a minivan.

Last edited:
Back