5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

So I just picked up a 2023 Honda Pilot, which has their new 3.5L v6. As with all Honda engines, the manual specs 0w-20. But I just ran through the desert mountains @ 80 mph and outside temps hit 119 degrees--I don't trust any 0w-20 oil under those conditions. I'm also concerned about carbon deposits on valves with this new v6's direct injection only fuel delivery system. I do 5K OCIs. Can someone recommend a decent oil, preferably one that can be purchased at Amazon or Walmart? Thanks.

Its more than the heat. 0w-20 can handle it. But with the VVT system may not be about to hande the 5w-30. Also the hydraulic belt tensioner may not be able to handle 5w-30

Seems kinda a rough breakin at those speeds fyi
Yeah, I hated to have to drive a new vehicle like that, but I had little choice. I did vary speeds a lot whenever possible. I changed the oil when I got home at 400 miles (Mobile 1 EP 0w-20), but I'm looking to switch when I get to 5K miles. However, if I can be convinced to stay with 0w-20, then fine. I've always used 5w-30 in my v6 Honda cars and never had a problem, but this new engine design has given me pause. I want to keep the valves clean.

Castrol (in Australia) recommends 5W-30 for that engine. They list (4) alternate oils - all 5W-30. Nowhere in their recommendations do they list 0W-20.
Yup--it seems only in the USA does 0w-20 get regularly mandated by the car manufacturers, no doubt because of fuel economy ratings. If I can safely run a 5w-30 in that engine (or 0w-30), then I want to go that route.

Yup--it seems only in the USA does 0w-20 get regularly mandated by the car manufacturers, no doubt because of fuel economy ratings. If I can safely run a 5w-30 in that engine (or 0w-30), then I want to go that route.
There’s absolutely zero issues running a Xw30 in any engine that calls for an Xw20. If you’re looking to keep valves clean, skip any 0w oil since those have many more VIIs and thinner base oils.

If you’re in AZ all the time, you could absolutely run 10w30 year round and never look back. I am super curious though… why would you want so badly to ditch Mobil 1 EP?

Its more than the heat. 0w-20 can handle it. But with the VVT system may not be about to hande the 5w-30. Also the hydraulic belt tensioner may not be able to handle 5w-30
Neither one are legitimate concerns, just Internet amplifications of misinformation.

Neither is the "deposit" issue. Deposits aren't a function of grade.

There’s absolutely zero issues running a Xw30 in any engine that calls for an Xw20. If you’re looking to keep valves clean, skip any 0w oil since those have many more VIIs and thinner base oils.

If you’re in AZ all the time, you could absolutely run 10w30 year round and never look back. I am super curious though… why would you want so badly to ditch Mobil 1 EP?
Next week I’m putting M1’s 10W30 EP in the 2017 Tahoe … it was switched to 5W30 at 60k - but my son took it to fast eddy’s lube and they put in 0W20 😡

For 20k miles I ran Castrol Edge HM 0W-20 in my '22 Odyssey with no issues to report. Last oil change was with Castrol Edge EP 5W-30 that I got on WM clearance. There has been no change to the sound, "feel," or fuel economy.

I really don't see a downside to the 0W-20 and will be going back to it.

...why would you want so badly to ditch Mobil 1 EP?
Here's the first time I read where high VII's and 0w20 oils, make GDI valves dirtier sooner.

Hoping thread-starter rbk777 responds to why Mobil-1 EP Triple Action will get his avoidance.

"Desert mountains @80 mph & 119F air temp" and most likely a loaded car? ... time for 40.
VVT is a heavy drinker and likes the manly stuff. lol

if you are afraid of 40, I would try M1 EP 10W-30.

Last edited:
5w-30 may actually make deposits worse
Stop

When an oil manufacturer like Castrol (or Valvoline or Pennzoil or anyone else) recommend an oil, it will always be the same viscosity as the engine manufacturer specs (for that region). You can be 100% certain that in other markets, the owners manual for that engine doesn't say "0W-20 only".

I may or may not use 5W-30 in our Civic that calls for 0W-20 🤷‍♂️ The owners manual for other countries says you can use anything from 0W-20 up to 10W-40.

For those that asked, I'm fine with M1 EP in 5w-30 (not 0w-20 in a V6 in hot weather)--I really don't know how to read spec sheets so I just wanted to confirm what was a good 5w-30 that will not leave valve deposits. I should also add that my morning commute is only 5 miles each way, so I don't want to go to a 40 weight. I live in SoCal, but I also drive up to the mountains in the winter where it can get quite cold, so I'd prefer to stick to a 5w rather than a 10w. I was thinking this might be good: Castrol Edge Euro 5W-30 A3/B4

Back