5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

Would those other countries that allow up-to 10w40, do-so using our USA-gasoline fuel?
Well first, here in the US at least the country nor the manufacturer "allow" a grade, it is always a recommendation. Although they try and make it look as if it is an allowance it is not.

But beyond that what would the gasoline have to do with the grade? For high-sulfur fuel the TBN could be impacted but why the grade?

10W is fine for S. CA.
But don't you have to use a Dexos oil? That may limit some of the selections.
PP Euro L 5W-30

Last edited:
Here's the first time I read where high VII's and 0w20 oils, make GDI valves dirtier sooner.

Hoping thread-starter rbk777 responds to why Mobil-1 EP Triple Action will get his avoidance.
You can't separate two things you highlighted in my quote. Light base oils AND VIIs.

Also, I found in analyzing my catch can trappings that the oils are volatilizing, but not the additives, meaning if there are any cleaning abilities from those things, they're staying in the sump; they're not carrying through the PCV system back into the intake and so whatever the oil itself is is what's hitting the back side of the valves.

10W is fine for S. CA.
But don't you have to use a Dexos oil? That may limit some of the selections.
PP Euro L 5W-30
There is no requirement for "Dexos" oil. The manual says "SN or higher grade", and "API Certification Mark 'Starburst'".

The new engine does have VCM. And I won't be disabling anything until at least the warranty is up.
I suggest you search for “VCM” threads by @Trav. He opened up and fixed quite a few.
I believe he recommends M1 EP 5w30 for these and VCM disable.

If you want to keep it long term, I would follow his suggestions. The VCM disable devices can be easily removed and everything goes back to normal, so there should be no warranty concerns.

There is no requirement for "Dexos" oil. The manual says "SN or higher grade", and "API Certification Mark 'Starburst'".
I this a DI or port DI engine?

Some oils are supposedly more "DI friendly" ... if you care. An example was PP I listed.

Its more than the heat. 0w-20 can handle it. But with the VVT system may not be about to hande the 5w-30. Also the hydraulic belt tensioner may not be able to handle 5w-30

Seems kinda a rough breakin at those speeds fyi
I must have missed it since when has has the J-35 used engine oil for the hydraulic tensioner?

How can the hydraulic belt tensioner not handle a 5w-30? Where does this info come from?

On a J series 0w-40 is my lubricant of choice coupled with a VCM Disabler.

0w20 is for CAFE. Other countries can use various other weights (stated in the manuals outside of the US) so why can't we?

I'm willing to bet that your manual says 0w20 "recommended" and NOT "required".

ILSAC "5W-30 vs 0W20"

5w30 better wear prot = negligible but real in a laboratory
0w20 better MPG = negligible but real in a laboratory

Real world situations provide so much variation that one using 0w20 over 5w30 can actually obtain better wear results depending on how the vehicle is driven. Same for the "benefit" of 0w20 over 5w30 where MPG is concerned. Depending on how it's driven, you can actually get better MPG using 5w30.

*INFINATE VARIABLES*

Last edited:
ILSAC "5W-30 vs 0W20"

5w30 Wear = negligible but real in a laboratory
0w20 MPG = negligible but real in a laboratory

Real world situations provide so much variation that one using 0w20 over 5w30 can actually obtain better wear results depending on how the vehicle is driven. Same for the "benefit" of 0w20 over 5w30 where MPG is concerned. Depending on how it's driven, you can actually get better MPG using 5w30.

*INFINATE VARIABLES*
My Accord 2.0t owners manual "recommends" 0w20. However I have been using either 0w30 or 5w30 ESP.

I have not noticed ANY degrade in MPG once so ever.

Its more than the heat. 0w-20 can handle it. But with the VVT system may not be about to hande the 5w-30. Also the hydraulic belt tensioner may not be able to handle 5w-30

Seems kinda a rough breakin at those speeds fyi

The 0w20 in Canadian winters will be much more viscous than the 5w30 driven in Miami during start/warm up. This condition will last through the warm up process and will return every time the vehicle is turned off and back on throughout the day.

My Accord 2.0t owners manual "recommends" 0w20. However I have been using either 0w30 or 5w30 ESP.

I have not noticed ANY degrade in MPG once so ever.
...Absolutely. And because physics doesn't lie, the same must be said for the minute difference in wear.

The true differences arrive when the HT/HS is increased to 3.5+ (assuming the same ad pack is used).

Back