5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

I have not noticed ANY degrade in MPG once so ever.
On a much, much grander scale, across an automaker's entire fleet, 0W-20 no doubts provides better MPG. It might only be tenths of an MPG improvement but multiply that across every vehicle they produce, it helps them on CAFE. 0W-20 also isn't damaging engines.... Toyota has moved to 0W-16 and I think I've seen someone mention 0W-8 for some models. They aren't switching to these oils knowing they destroy engines.

That said, in order to comply with the marketing aspects of CAFE, as long as they put in the owners manual to "use 0W-20 engine oil", they're good.

On a much, much grander scale, across an automaker's entire fleet, 0W-20 no doubts provides better MPG. It might only be tenths of an MPG improvement but multiply that across every vehicle they produce, it helps them on CAFE. 0W-20 also isn't damaging engines.... Toyota has moved to 0W-16 and I think I've seen someone mention 0W-8 for some models. They aren't switching to these oils knowing they destroy engines.

That said, in order to comply with the marketing aspects of CAFE, as long as they put in the owners manual to "use 0W-20 engine oil", they're good.
They "recommend" 0w20, they do not require it. People seem to get so confused.

So I just picked up a 2023 Honda Pilot, which has their new 3.5L v6. As with all Honda engines, the manual specs 0w-20. But I just ran through the desert mountains @ 80 mph and outside temps hit 119 degrees--I don't trust any 0w-20 oil under those conditions. I'm also concerned about carbon deposits on valves with this new v6's direct injection only fuel delivery system. I do 5K OCIs. Can someone recommend a decent oil, preferably one that can be purchased at Amazon or Walmart? Thanks.
Walmart is selling Castrol 5w30 European in the stores today for $28..........

Realistically you can probably run any oil in any car, and everything will be just fine. Some people need that extra sense of viscosity security though, even if it provides no real world benefits.

You would lose that bet.
Uhh, not to displace @kschachn from his normal spot, but have you actually read your owners manual? Just pulled this from Honda's site (pardon the goofy red line, not sure what went on here):
1689618923943.jpg

Uhh, not to displace @kschachn from his normal spot, but have you actually read your owners manual? Just pulled this from Honda's site (pardon the goofy red line, not sure what went on here):
View attachment 167563
The owner's manual says, and I quote "Use a genuine engine oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable type and viscosity (for the ambient terperature) as shown in the image that follows. Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. If you drive the vehicle with insufficient or deteriorated oil, the engine may fail or be damaged."

The "image that follows" is a box that only contains 0w-20 viscostiy oil.

The owner's manual says, and I quote "Use a genuine engine oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable type and viscosity (for the ambient terperature) as shown in the image that follows. Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. If you drive the vehicle with insufficient or deteriorated oil, the engine may fail or be damaged."

Yep, recommended. Oils that damage the engine are what violate the warranty. No oil with a somewhat higher HT/HS will damage the engine; film thickness protects not harms.

Look up a typical CAFE award letter on here or elsewhere and you will see the extent to which an automaker must go in promoting the grade that was used for fuel economy testing. None of which is based on any technical reasoning nor is there any connection to warranty.

No worries, there is always lots of marketing involved, sometimes it's hard to separate marketing from fact, especially when from the manufacturer. Also notice in the small black bar on the Honda Genuine Motor Oil 0w20 bar, there is an *1, and the bottom red circle in the pic below:
1689619495485.jpg

I really don't care what the manual says--evidently some do? I asked about a good 5w-30 oil. Can someone please do that, considering VCM and direct port (only) injection? THanks.

Bottom line too is anyone going to pay if for some reason there IS a problem NOT using recommended oil and warranty denied? I think not. too much risk NOT using recommended

Bottom line too is anyone going to pay if for some reason there IS a problem NOT using recommended oil and warranty denied? I think not. too much risk NOT using recommended
As far as I know no one has ever posted a verifiable instance where this scenario has happened to them. Given that it’s likely it’s nothing but fear mongering for no real reason.

In fact the reverse is true. I asked that my dealer use VW 504 00 oil instead of the recommended 508 00 when my Tiguan was new and I was getting free oil changes. They did as I asked with no questions.

Back