5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

It looks to me like that vehicle is not even sold in Australia.
Scratch that. The US Vehicle is imported and has a 3.5 liter engine, so probably pretty close. But who knows if oil formulations are different down under? In the case of this vehicle, I know personally of four of them (actually MDX's) that have sailed well past 200k on 0W20. Plus, the cylinder deactivation seems to call the XW30 oils into question. I would also add that the outside temperature does not really make a difference to the car's engine if it is running correctly, with a functional cooling system. I have owned tons of Hondas and few Acuras, and can attest that their operating temperature is constant, whether you are in Death Valley in summer, or Telluride in January.

But what does that have to do with Xw30 oils and cylinder deactivation?
Other posts in this thread suggest that the 0W20 oil is better for the system. Why is that? I don't know. Is it true? I don't know. Are XW30's worse with VCM? I don't know. I do have experience with many of these motors and I have always run the recommended oil or close to it. (on my old TL, I would run 0W30 instead of 5W30. On most of these cars, the newer ones, I have seen mostly OW20 used, and that works out just fine.

What is the goal when a manufacturer specs 0w20 vs 5w30 ?
The goal for a manufacturer to spec any oil, is to ensure the engine has a trouble free service life. It's not like majority of manufacturers conspired to spec a lower viscosity oil with some agenda to harm the consumer.

Also I keep hearing the same "but in other countries" thing, but the owners manuals I checked, from the UK to the Arab Emirates, still show lower viscosity oils as "preferred" or "recommended", though they do show other grades on the chart as alternatives. If thin oils did not protect adequately, majority of manufacturers (in the US or Internationally, it doesn't matter) would not recommend them.

From the UK Manual for the new FL5 Type R

IMG_9268.jpeg

Let's get a little hotter, how about The Arab Emirates?

IMG_9271.jpeg

Is the conspiracy spreading?

The goal for a manufacturer to spec any oil, is to ensure the engine has a trouble free service life. It's not like majority of manufacturers conspired to spec a lower viscosity oil with some agenda to harm the consumer.
No, the goal of the manufacturer is to get the vehicle through the warranty period (usually up thru a 60k powertrain warranty) without any claims that are on them to fix. After they're off the hook, they generally give two bowel movements about "trouble free service life".

There's zero money to be made on a vehicle that lasts 300k without any problems; partly because nobody would be buying any parts for them, and partly because nobody could afford a vehicle that was engineered well enough to last 300k without problems.

One really BIG and NICE thing all of us 0w20 (recommended) users has going is this: I dont think a single soul has mentioned any type of machinery or engine failure from using 0w20 motor oil in their vehicles? While not crazy about the new water thin oils I realized one day I have been running our 14 yr old 2009 Accord with 5w20 oil and it still purrs like a kitten and goes like the eveready bunny. It is not a DI engine but still is a 20 weight we all seem so worried about. If it were not for the DI engine dillutions we would not be talking it up at all I suspect.

No, the goal of the manufacturer is to get the vehicle through the warranty period (usually up thru a 60k powertrain warranty) without any claims that are on them to fix. After they're off the hook, they generally give two bowel movements about "trouble free service life".

There's zero money to be made on a vehicle that lasts 300k without any problems; partly because nobody would be buying any parts for them, and partly because nobody could afford a vehicle that was engineered well enough to last 300k without problems.
Funny how some manufacturers have had great records of reliability before and after 20wt oils. Please teach me more, my hat is on and I'm ready to learn

Scratch that. The US Vehicle is imported and has a 3.5 liter engine, so probably pretty close.
Correct, I don't even remember what model I found but it uses the same Honda 3.5L V6 (J35XXX).

But who knows if oil formulations are different down under?
No idea but I can't imagine why they would be. They simply don't need to be. I'll bet DEXOS oil is available there since GMs are. I suspect engine oil producers follow API globally too.

I know personally of four of them (actually MDX's) that have sailed well past 200k on 0W20
Nowhere did I say not to use 0W-20. Point is Honda, etc, etc absolutely "allow" other oil viscosities to be used in the same engine in different countries.

Other posts in this thread suggest that the 0W20 oil is better for the system. Why is that? I don't know. Is it true?
One person.... And by showing / proving that Honda specifies, for example, 10W-40, in these same engines that are VCM-equipped, it makes the point moot that VCM can't handle thicker oils.

It's like Deja vu all over again.

Many manufacturers say useful life of an engine is 150K miles. That's what they are basing their recommendations on, including grade and OCI.

Don't let the CAFE Boogeyman get you.

but the owners manuals I checked, from the UK to the Arab Emirates, still show lower viscosity oils as "preferred" or "recommended", though they do show other grades on the chart as alternatives.
Your images don't correspond to your statement(s). They "recommend" the oils "shown in the image" and clearly list 0W-20, 0W-30, and 5W-30. They aren't in order of preference or anything nor are they "alternates".

The owner's manual says, and I quote "Use a genuine engine oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable type and viscosity (for the ambient terperature) as shown in the image that follows. Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. If you drive the vehicle with insufficient or deteriorated oil, the engine may fail or be damaged."

The "image that follows" is a box that only contains 0w-20 viscostiy oil.

I'm not a lawyer thank God. lol
However, when I read
"...oil of suitable type and viscosity (for the ambient temperature) as shown ..."

Your Honor, If 0W-20 is "suitable" for all types of loads, RPMs, speeds and operating temperatures, then why "oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature"?
Isn't 0W-20 a perfect choice for ALL ambient temperatures?

I also have two other witnesses for today. They are PD pump and M1 0W-40. They need to be heard as they are a major contributor to every thread. :alien:
Tomorrow third expert witness @ZeeOSix since we will most likely get into HTHS, MOFT, design of PD Pump and heat transfer. :ROFLMAO:

How about the owners manual for a 2023 Land Cruiser, pulled from Toyota.ae

IMG_9428.jpeg

Still waiting for the Subaru guy to teach me about engine failures. They’re the best resource for that stuff

Also I keep hearing the same "but in other countries" thing, but the owners manuals I checked, from the UK to the Arab Emirates, still show lower viscosity oils as "preferred" or "recommended", though they do show other grades on the chart as alternatives. If thin oils did not protect adequately, majority of manufacturers (in the US or Internationally, it doesn't matter) would not recommend them.

From the UK Manual for the new FL5 Type R

IMG_9268.jpeg

Let's get a little hotter, how about The Arab Emirates?

IMG_9271.jpeg

Is the conspiracy spreading?
Well, not entirely incorrect in terms of a manufacturer’s goal for their product, but this is not the goal for the wording in the owner’s manual. The goal for the wording in the owners manual is to comply with the requirements of their CAFE award letter.

Your images don't correspond to your statement(s). They "recommend" the oils "shown in the image" and clearly list 0W-20, 0W-30, and 5W-30. They aren't in order of preference or anything nor are they "alternates".
It’s because the argument is not being made on a rational or technical basis. There is a different agenda here.

Physics and technical truth is just lost.

Back