5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

What is the goal when a Manufacturer specs 0w40 ?
Just to be accurate they don’t “spec” a grade, grades are recommendations. Specifications are a “spec”.

In this case, however, if only the grade (0W-40) is the recommendation than the goal is either a minimum HT/HS of a 40-grade or a specific winter rating. Most likely a minimum HT/HS.

But this ignores many of the other things that come along with a typical 0W-40, such as specific manufacturer approvals or minimum performance standards for things like sludge and deposit formation.

There’s absolutely zero issues running a Xw30 in any engine that calls for an Xw20. If you’re looking to keep valves clean, skip any 0w oil since those have many more VIIs and thinner base oils.

If you’re in AZ all the time, you could absolutely run 10w30 year round and never look back. I am super curious though… why would you want so badly to ditch Mobil 1 EP?
wow we agree on something.

I won!

7r9w8c.jpg

All the VCM comments....has anyone had drama with a 2023 like the OP has? I had an '06 with bad mounts several times over my ownership but defeat devices? Is this still even an issue with the current model year? I think most of the issues being thrown out were on much older versions of this system.

Well, not entirely incorrect in terms of a manufacturer’s goal for their product, but this is not the goal for the wording in the owner’s manual. The goal for the wording in the owners manual is to comply with the requirements of their CAFE award letter.
CAFE deserves at least more 3 spots on BITOG BINGO

So I just picked up a 2023 Honda Pilot, which has their new 3.5L v6. As with all Honda engines, the manual specs 0w-20. But I just ran through the desert mountains @ 80 mph and outside temps hit 119 degrees--I don't trust any 0w-20 oil under those conditions. I'm also concerned about carbon deposits on valves with this new v6's direct injection only fuel delivery system. I do 5K OCIs. Can someone recommend a decent oil, preferably one that can be purchased at Amazon or Walmart? Thanks.

Mobil 1 0W40 European.

You're welcome!

So I just picked up a 2023 Honda Pilot, which has their new 3.5L v6. As with all Honda engines, the manual specs 0w-20. But I just ran through the desert mountains @ 80 mph and outside temps hit 119 degrees--I don't trust any 0w-20 oil under those conditions. I'm also concerned about carbon deposits on valves with this new v6's direct injection only fuel delivery system. I do 5K OCIs. Can someone recommend a decent oil, preferably one that can be purchased at Amazon or Walmart? Thanks.

Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP or there 5W-30 in the ESP Line. Do you have a way to measure Oil Temperatures, if not, do the same run again and when you get back home shoot an Infrared Gun at the Oil Pan.

I am more of a Thicky than A Thinny, but it sounds like the 0W-20 held up fine with the Heat you had there. I am guessing your engine that is a V6 holds almost 6 quarts of oil. My Dad is driving my Mom's old car that has a V6 and that engine only hold 4.5 quarts of oil.

Again, before you panic, try and figure out your Oil Temps, and then get back 2 us here!

̶A̶n̶y̶ ̶A̶P̶I̶ ̶5̶w̶3̶0̶ ̶c̶e̶r̶t̶i̶f̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶ ̶s̶a̶f̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶l̶e̶r̶a̶n̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶G̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶y̶n̶t̶h̶e̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶l̶t̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶P̶e̶n̶n̶z̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶u̶l̶t̶r̶a̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶t̶i̶n̶u̶m̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶V̶a̶l̶v̶o̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶(̶i̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶o̶l̶y̶b̶d̶e̶n̶u̶m̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶)̶.̶ ̶I̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶5̶k̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶v̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶M̶o̶b̶i̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶o̶k̶a̶y̶.̶

The bitog people have spoken. However, I'm also tearing into newer engines these days to make this call.

Back