5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

Some folks are suggesting that the VCM has narrow passages that the OW20 oil flows through better.
Again, one person (a different one this time).

No. Cause comes before effect. Honda quite clearly built a VCM system, without realizing or intending that it would be problematic.
Okay, I'll play along.... You're suggesting that Honda has moved to 0W-20 at least partly to help deal with their VCM system ? Yet you fail to acknowledge that a) Honda still uses VCM today, keeps updating it (they're on "VCM-3" currently), and recommending 5W-30 engine oil (in other countries).

OP,

You'll be fine with 0/5w20, 0/5/10w30/40.

But since you're looking for a 5w-30...

Any ILSAC /SP rated xw30 will do. Nothing specific about any them will garner you more protection from LSPI / dilution or wear than the other. I still contend that if you want more protection, move up to a 3.5 HT/HS offering. These are typically euro 30s and 40s.

ILSAC/SP
Mobil synthetics
Pennzoil synthetics
Valvoline synthetics
Quaker State synthetics
Havoline synthetics
Castrol synthetics
Warren Dist synthetics (Kirkland, Super Tech, Amazon...)
Napa synthetic
...and many more.

visit https://pqia.org/

Use 15w40. Rotella T6 and report back.
Another suggestion since OP seems to live in the south, or a desert:
5 gallon pail of 15w40 Sinopec at Walmart. I'm sure it will do great.

I'm no longer interested in 0w20 in hot weather until i educate myself more on why the low upper end temperature band is there.

1689696668265.jpg

Again, one person (a different one this time).

Okay, I'll play along.... You're suggesting that Honda has moved to 0W-20 at least partly to help deal with their VCM system ? Yet you fail to acknowledge that a) Honda still uses VCM today, keeps updating it (they're on "VCM-3" currently), and recommending 5W-30 engine oil (in other countries).
I did not suggest that. I observed that some people think 0W20 will help with VCM issues. I don't know if it is true. I think we can pretty definitively say that Honda has not recommended "moving" to any particular oil grade based on the oil better managing VCM. Honda, like other manufacturers has for more 20 years recommended XW20 oils for cars sold in the states. This was primarily based on the efficiency that that these oils provided, and using these oils has been to nobody's detriment. VCM is a slightly unreliable system that was introduced after and separately and unrelatedly to the oil specification question.

Yup--it seems only in the USA does 0w-20 get regularly mandated by the car manufacturers, no doubt because of fuel economy ratings. If I can safely run a 5w-30 in that engine (or 0w-30), then I want to go that route.
Run it , it will not hurt a thing. I have never refilled the factory fill with their recommendation. These low viscosity grades are purely for "CAFE" standards that might give an extra mile or two per tank full.

Another suggestion since OP seems to live in the south, or a desert:
5 gallon pail of 15w40 Sinopec at Walmart. I'm sure it will do great.

I'm no longer interested in 0w20 in hot weather until i educate myself more on why the low upper end temperature band is there.

View attachment 167725
Whoa!!! Don't drive your 0W20 equipped vehicle if it's more than 68 degrees out. Please note that this is independent of engine temperature. Great chart.

I really don't care what the manual says--evidently some do? I asked about a good 5w-30 oil. Can someone please do that, considering VCM and direct port (only) injection? THanks.
For the injectors I run Redline SL1 at 60% and 20% olm. Run the proper spec and move on. Disabling the VCM keeps the engine happy.

Whoa!!! Don't drive your 0W20 equipped vehicle if it's more than 68 degrees out. Please note that this is independent of engine temperature. Great chart.
All the 5W30 folks...86 deg F is it. Better move to 50 to be safe in this minivan 🤣🤣🤣

I guess Honda should just lay off their entire technical writing team, along with all their engineers, because you've determined that what Honda specifies is not relevant. Makes sense. :rolleyes:
I want to be respectful, but you pulled this short sentence completely out of context. You know you did that, right?

This was primarily based on the efficiency that that these oils provided, and using these oils has been to nobody's detriment.
I've said more than once that people can (absolutely) use 0W-20 in their Hondas. I have NEVER said they can't or not to.

Honda even went as far as back-spec'ing older models (back to about 2003-ish) that they can use 0W-20. Why ? My opinion is so their dealers can stock (mostly) one oil instead of multiple.

Do as you like but I’d stick with 0W-20 because as a mechanic I’ve torn down and seen several engines tore down and todays modern engines the oil ports are so small that in my opinion you don’t want to deviate from the cap or owner’s manual. Just what I’ve seen since I entered this field.
AM - study up on positive displacement oil pumps that are use in engines. This is why "PD Oil Pump" should be on the "bingo card". 😄

1689700634071.jpg
It's there because the operating oil temperature in some engines is effected by the ambient outside temperature. They spec higher viscosity oil for hotter climates because they want the higher HTHS viscosity to maintain an better MOFT and engine protection ... bingo, bingo. :D

No. Cause comes before effect. Honda quite clearly built a VCM system, without realizing or intending that it would be problematic. Some folks are suggesting that the VCM has narrow passages that the OW20 oil flows through better. I don't know if that is the case, but seems reasonable. What Honda specifies is not relevant.
Positive Displacement Oil Pump ... why oil passage size doesn't matter.

Back