5w-30 for new Honda 3.5L v6

Increased fuel economy (across their fleet)

Exactly.

I want to be respectful, but you pulled this short sentence completely out of context. You know you did that, right?
[URL='https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/goto/post?id=6560213' said:
TomYoung[/URL]]
No. Cause comes before effect. Honda quite clearly built a VCM system, without realizing or intending that it would be problematic. Some folks are suggesting that the VCM has narrow passages that the OW20 oil flows through better. I don't know if that is the case, but seems reasonable. What Honda specifies is not relevant.

“What Honda specifies is not relevant”… in your own words. How is that taken out of context?

“Some folks are suggesting that the VCM has narrow passages,” doesn’t change fluid dynamics. The VCM will work just fine on 5w30, or 0w40, or just about any other viscosity. 👍🏻

“What Honda specifies is not relevant”… in your own words. How is that taken out of context?

“Some folks are suggesting that the VCM has narrow passages,” doesn’t change fluid dynamics. The VCM will work just fine on 5w30, or 0w40, or just about any other viscosity. 👍🏻
What Honda specifies is not relevant is true in the context of oil specifications that predated the mechanical issue and not action from Honda on oil related to this problem. You took the last line of my post out for commentary, without context. Here you are adding the context back in and saying "see?"

This was probably a bad post to get involved with. First, the original poster started with the premise that 0W20 would not work in hot weather. The immediate response should have been that 0W20 works fine in hot weather, but this immediately went to a discussion of the variable cylinder system, with some red herrings like the internally lubricated hydraulic tensioner.

What Honda specifies is not relevant is true in the context of oil specifications that predated the mechanical issue and not action from Honda on oil related to this problem. You took the last line of my post out for commentary, without context. Here you are adding the context back in and saying "see?"

This was probably a bad post to get involved with. First, the original poster started with the premise that 0W20 would not work in hot weather. The immediate response should have been that 0W20 works fine in hot weather, but this immediately went to a discussion of the variable cylinder system, with some red herrings like the internally lubricated hydraulic tensioner.
It's all good. (y) I think we all agree, in terms of long-term reliability, VCM = bad, regardless of viscosity.

But yes, 119* ambient doesn't affect 0W20 any "more" than an Xw50; as long as the needed MOFT is maintained all will be fine.

I’m pretty sure 0w-20 is a trigger phrase here. Their safe word is CAFE

I’m pretty sure 0w-20 is a trigger phrase here. Their safe word is CAFE
7t02fj.jpg

To answer your quetion : Valvoline Advanced / EP 5W30 or M1 standard / EP 5W30 and Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30 would be my choices from Amazon or WM . On the open road , 5K mile OCI's are fine but in mixed driving I drop back to 4K mile OCI's with DI engines .

1000000754.jpg

He came in first!

Why can't we all just get along and play silly internet games?

Laws...... Er'body gotta be the best internet Albert Sherlock Holmesstein

It's all good. (y) I think we all agree, in terms of long-term reliability, VCM = bad, regardless of viscosity.

But yes, 119* ambient doesn't affect 0W20 any "more" than an Xw50; as long as the needed MOFT is maintained all will be fine.
Thank you. I think most BITOGers are in agreement with that -- I certainly am. Keep your oil fresh!

Depends on the engine oil cooling system (if it has one), and how you're driving in that ambient 119F. So when is 20 not maintaining adequate MOFT? Ans: When it's not, lol ... and nobody has real time MOFT sensors in their bearings to know. A 20 may not maintain adequate MOFT as long as a 30, 40 or 50 in the same use conditions. Would it be safer to run a xW-30 instead of a xW-20 in very hot weather to ensure some MOFT headroom? ... yes it would.

Depends on the engine oil cooling system (if it has one), and how you're driving in that ambient 119F. So when is 20 not maintaining adequate MOFT? Ans: When it's not, lol ... and nobody has real time MOFT sensors in their bearings to know. A 20 may not maintain adequate MOFT as long as a 30, 40 or 50 in the same use conditions. Would it be safer to run a xW-30 instead of a xW-20 in very hot weather to ensure some MOFT headroom? ... yes it would.
In my opinion, 5W-30 is what all cars would be speced for if CAFE fines didn't exist.
It offers the optimal HTHS / MOFT protection for nearly all engines.
I am glad Ford is specing 5W-30 for all it's Ecoboost engines, so that the viscosity will always be available.

Back