5k OCI Overkill: M1 EP vs Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

I am sure 5% fuel in oil was part of their brilliant engineering process

Perhaps it just… Doesn’t matter?

This forum always has some boogeyman. When sulfur levels in gasoline were lowered, everyone suddenly had to use a low saps oil to combat carbon buildup. Then when SN+ came out, it was LSPI appearing in just about every thread. I haven’t seen that acronym posted in a long time now. Then when SP came out, it was timing chain wear. Right now it is fuel dilution, and next month it will be something else.

No, no, I’m sure in the hundreds of thousands of test miles, that subject never came up.
Never came up? Or never allowed to address it. I agree it does not seem to be a massive problem in practice for this engine though. If I owned one of these I’d definitely run a Euro 0w/5w-30 though.

Honestly, you won't see a bit if difference with either oil. Its a 1.5 Honda lol. Just pick the cheapest oil. It won't make a difference. Now you boost it, thats different. Ive got a boosted K24 making 600 to the wheels and run 300v 5w40...

This forum always has some boogeyman.
Not just forum, 5% is flagged by oil labs as critical, and exceeds industry norms. Toyota modern direct injection engine does not have the same fuel dilution issue as Honda. There is not enough history with most of these cars are sitting with 200-300k miles to say that it does not matter

Last edited:
Perhaps it just… Doesn’t matter?

This forum always has some boogeyman. When sulfur levels in gasoline were lowered, everyone suddenly had to use a low saps oil to combat carbon buildup. Then when SN+ came out, it was LSPI appearing in just about every thread. I haven’t seen that acronym posted in a long time now. Then when SP came out, it was timing chain wear. Right now it is fuel dilution, and next month it will be something else.
Recency bias.

How, exactly?

Fuel change - 2017-2018
SN+ - 2018-2019
SP - 2021-2022
Now - Now

As an example, I can promise you a search of 'LSPI' will yield far, far more results two or three years ago, than now. Probably ten fold.

I would hope so now that many manufacturers spec lspi mitigating oils and many oil companies have gone to them regardless.

There has been recent studies on oil aging and lspi though which is now a test.

People show fuel dilution that is “high” yet have no unusual engine wear. Their 0w-20 is being diluted to a point that clearly makes zero difference in normal driving. Would I use diluted 0w-20 on a track? No, I wouldn’t use ANY 0w-20 on a track. But 99.99% of people driving these aren’t tracking their cars, and the modified 1.5t civic crowd will blow their engines up from poorly thought out modifications anyway
There is not enough history with most of these cars are sitting with 200-300k miles to say that it does not matter
How about all of the CRVs, Civics, and accords with the 1.5t for sale with 200k plus miles? Or have they all had their engines replaced?

I’m going to continue running 0w-20, everyone else can do whatever they want based on their very advanced conspiracy theories

Last edited:
How about all of the CRVs, Civics, and accords with the 1.5t for sale with 200k plus miles? Or have they all had their engines replaced?

The majority of 1.5t do not have over 200k miles. There are some that are over 200k, mostly highway driving obviously.

Last edited:
I’m going to continue running 0w-20, everyone else can do whatever they want based on their very advanced conspiracy theories

Is it a conspiracy if sample of my 0w-20 came back from lab with 6 cSt viscosity ? 5% fuel in oil. Why is that when I put 5w-30, it comes out with 8 cSt which is the same viscosity of 0w-20? You want hard data, test your oil instead of splitting hairs which brand to use

Last edited:
Is it a conspiracy if sample of my 0w-20 came back from lab with 6 cSt viscosity ? 5% fuel in oil. Why is that when I put 5w-30, it comes out with 8 cSt which is the same viscosity of 0w-20?
The conspiracy is that this somehow matters in the real world, when these engines are fed a diet of unknown oils and cheap filters at the dealer, are still running for hundreds of thousands of miles

Is there even one example here where someone actually lost an engine due to diluted fuel?

The conspiracy is that this somehow matters in the real world, when these engines are fed a diet of unknown oils and cheap filters at the dealer, are still running for hundreds of thousands of miles

I am sure there are number of these engines with excessive wear that causes them to burn oil or run poorly. The engine does simply fail and everyone says it failed from fuel dilution. Its a slow process and by the time engine running poorly its on 2nd or 3rd owner with people blaming the prior owner. 5% is not an acceptable fuel level in oil by all standards.
Not enough data, give these engines 15 years when average car has over 150k miles, then we can see how these engines last. And remember, engine does not need to “fail”, if it runs poorly or consumes excessive oil — its bad news. Toyota modern engines do not have this issue (not to the same extent at least). So its not a conspiracy, other manufacturers know how to deal with it better than Honda

Last edited:

Is there even one example here where someone actually lost an engine due to diluted fuel?
Lost an engine is a fallacy, same as "piles of failed engines along the road." The relationship between wear and HT/HS is direct, and when you dilute a viscous fluid with one of lower viscosity the wear will increase, there is no getting around the physics.

Whether it matters to you is a different question, as you note. It does to me.

I am sure there are number of these engines with excessive wear that causes them to burn oil or run poorly. The engine does simply fail and everyone says it failed from fuel dilution. Its a slow process and by the time engine running poorly its on 2nd or 3rd owner with people blaming the prior owner. 5% is not an acceptable fuel level in oil by all standards.
Not enough data, give these engines 15 years when average car has over 150k miles, then we can see how these engines last. And remember, engine does not need to “fail”, if it runs poorly or consumes excessive oil — its bad news. Toyota modern engines do not have this issue (not to the same extent at least). So its not a conspiracy, other manufacturers know how to deal with it better than Honda

But they still have some other issues

I’ve seen some UOAs posted here showing dilution in these engines, and also no unusual wear, so I’m not buying this slow death theory either. Obviously whatever the 0w-20 dilutes to is still more than capable of protecting the engine. The more and more I read the more it sounds like there are companies who are happy to sell you guys snake oil to fix non existent problems you have invented using BS data “I mean, you don’t want fuel in your oil do you?”, and people here are eager to shill for those companies because they drank the kool aid by the bucket

If thicker oil protects better, and Honda has an agenda, then don’t listen to the manual and stop at 5w-30, go full on 15w-40 because thicker is better, and of course you know best

I’ve seen some UOAs posted here showing dilution in these engines, and also no unusual wear, so I’m not buying this slow death theory either. Obviously whatever the 0w-20 dilutes to is still more than capable of protecting the engine. The more and more I read the more it sounds like there are companies who are happy to sell you guys snake oil to fix non existent problems you have invented using BS data “I mean, you don’t want fuel in your oil do you?”, and people here are eager to shill for those companies because they drank the kool aid by the bucket

If thicker oil protects better, and Honda has an agenda, then don’t listen to the manual and stop at 5w-30, go full on 15w-40 because thicker is better, and of course you know best
You certainly could use a 40-grade (with an appropriate winter rating) since no engine is harmed by a somewhat higher HT/HS, whereas it can be harmed by an oil that has one which is too low. The wear vs. HT/HS relationship is direct. You really don't know that a diluted oil is "still more than capable of protecting the engine" since that is not an easy thing to determine. A $30 spectrographic analysis will not show that, certainly not by the methods it is employed by the majority on here.

You don't want fuel in the oil. Besides lowering the viscosity there are other issues which have been discussed here before. Fuel dilution is not benign. Honda has no agenda other than attempting to achieve the highest fuel economy possible. But that's as far as it goes.

Back