3k vs 5k Synthetic OCI

A couple of UOAs would give you a good baseline. That is what I do with all of our new vehicles anyway. I pick a couple of oils that I would like to run and compare them over an OCI of 5 or 6K. Then I'll settle on an OCI of 50-60% of the mileage, which has been 6K across several new vehicles.

My owners manual for 2022 wrx says 6k miles under ideal conditions or 3k if under "severe use". I go with the severe use because I like to push it every once in a while. Also, I sometimes do short trips which is more likely to fuel dilute.

Couple things:

How about actually posting this video you keep mentioning so we can review it and give feedback.

You’re willing to spend an extra $26 on “early” oil changes for the lifetime of the vehicle based solely on YT videos, but you are not willing to spend $35 once on UOA? What sense does that make?

Why are so worry about this? I would sell the vehicles before I’d let them eat my lunch like this.

Couple things:

How about actually posting this video you keep mentioning so we can review it and give feedback.

You’re willing to spend an extra $26 on “early” oil changes for the lifetime of the vehicle based solely on YT videos, but you are not willing to spend $35 once on UOA? What sense does that make?

Why are so worry about this? I would sell the vehicles before I’d let them eat my lunch like this.
Is one UOA enough? This is a genuine question since I'm considering doing my first uoa

Couple things:

Mentions 3000-3500

(This isn’t a “big” youtuber) 3000 intervals

Says cut them 1/2-1/3

Is one UOA enough? This is a genuine question since I'm considering doing my first uoa
They seem useful but what’s to say if the car doesn’t have dilution now that it won’t in the future. So you end up in this loop of constantly paying for UOAs instead of potentially paying to change oil prematurely. I’d do one or two here but that doesn’t mean that in 50k miles everything will be the same

They seem useful but what’s to say if the car doesn’t have dilution now that it won’t in the future. So you end up in this loop of constantly paying for UOAs instead of potentially paying to change oil prematurely. I’d do one or two here but that doesn’t mean that in 50k miles everything will be the same
I think you are creating a false dichotomy to help support the conclusion you want to be true, to be honest.

You don’t have to do them all the time to create a plan. My Toyota showed signs of dilution so I started doing an annual UOA to check on dilution and create an action plan for the future. Don’t make this more complicated than it actually needs to be.

So on my new 2022 1.5t Honda I’ve been doing 5k intervals for now. Factory fill dumped at 5k and have been using M1 AFE (most recently at 20,332) and bought up a bunch of M1 EP (it was on sale and hardly more expensive than AFE) since the wife also has a 2023 1.5t CRV. My understanding is the EP is a solid oil, but both cars being DI and Turbocharged I don’t plan to change the oil any less frequently than 5k.

Then was watching a few videos and saw a few people mention 3k intervals just due to the fact that even though the oil may be designed to last up to 20k or whatever, it is still getting contaminated and holding those contaminants for the length of the OCI. This got me thinking whether maybe I should dump the EP at 3k miles just to have clean oil

Is there any reason to do this, or not to? Each oil change costs me $26 so in my case going from doing 3 a year to roughly 5 isn’t going to really break me financially, but if there is absolutely no benefit then I’d love to use the time for family or fun instead.

I haven’t done any UOA and at this time don’t plan to. Fuel Dilution is obviously a concern but both of the cars drain out the same quantity I put in, so dilution is either not present of very minimal and offset by slight oil consumption though I doubt two newer cars would just so happen to burn oil at the same rate they dilute, considering my drives are long and steady (good anti-dilution) and the wife’s are short and sweet (5-10 mins to get to the highway and on that highway for about 10 mins)

TLDR: is there any benefit or merit to changing M1 EP at 3k miles on a DI Turbo engine compared to running it for 5k?
You’re overthinking it by 2,000+ miles.

I’m not against 5k intervals, happy to have the time to do other things. appreciate the out, ordered a few test kits
Not once have you mentioned what viscosity / grade of oil you're using.
You should be thinking about soaking-up fuel dilution. Increasing oil thickness right now is your #1 concern. Your OCI length bats 2nd.

Don't put watery oil in your engine and steer into 5k OCIs with the fuel diluter you have purchased.

Reactions: wlk
I’m not blindly putting thicker oil into my car because people here say so based on generalizations that my car has a problem people don’t know it has. How can you tell me my #1 goal should be to thicken oil if you don’t know what I’m using now

I’m not blindly putting thicker oil into my car because people here say so based on generalizations that my car has a problem people don’t know it has
Good move, and another reason for a UOA. If you have a problem like fuel dilution, coolant in the oil, elevated wear metals, high silicon, etc. odds are the UOA will show it, along with how the oil is holding up in your vehicle.

Mentions 3000-3500

(This isn’t a “big” youtuber) 3000 intervals

Says cut them 1/2-1/3

# 1 his only criteria was how long you want to keep the vehicle which has little to do with when you should do change the oil. So granny with the Corolla and Mr Lead-foot with the Corvette at track are on the same schedule based on nothing but time of ownership. This one is a non sequester.

#2 he said 3-5000 miles because he does this and does not care what other people say. Once again, not much in the way of criteria engine type, driving habits, weather, etc.

# 3 he said 1/2 to 1/3 related to 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 mile intervals but really didn’t give a criteria. Then he landed on just do 5000/6-month if you don’t know what you’re doing.

You just took these videos and ran off the deep end with them. If you wanna do 3000 OCI go for it. But this all much ado about nothing IMO.

So on my new 2022 1.5t Honda I’ve been doing 5k intervals for now. Factory fill dumped at 5k and have been using M1 AFE (most recently at 20,332) and bought up a bunch of M1 EP (it was on sale and hardly more expensive than AFE) since the wife also has a 2023 1.5t CRV. My understanding is the EP is a solid oil, but both cars being DI and Turbocharged I don’t plan to change the oil any less frequently than 5k.
I’m exactly in the same boat as the OP. My wife’s 2008 Pontiac Solstice 2.0T DI Ecotec was GM’s first DI turbo engine ( starting in 2006 ) and are known to have carbon deposits accumulate on the back of the intake valves. I do use BP 92 octane fuel. Bought used in February of 2023 with 32,000 miles now currently at 34,800 miles so driven less than 3,000 miles in the last 14 months. After reading about fuel dilution and LSPI on some DI engines, the first oil change I chose the same Mobil1 EP in the 5w30 flavor . After a 150 mile drive the rear facia seems to accumulate a slightly sooty film so I’m considering doing a UOA on the next oil change in the next week or so, but with the short oci I too am straddling the UOA fence.

I’m not blindly putting thicker oil into my car because people here say so based on generalizations that my car has a problem people don’t know it has. How can you tell me my #1 goal should be to thicken oil if you don’t know what I’m using now
It's a pretty harmless suggestion, the only downside is a tiny increase in fuel consumption.

Fuel dilution usually reaches steady state within ~1k miles, so changing the oil more often doesn't really help with that. It's just something you have to live with. You can address the reduced viscosity by going up to a 5W-30 if you want. Taking longer trips and using a block heater in cold weather will also help reduce dilution.

The OLM on these Hondas will typically recommend an OCI of ~10k miles in mostly highway driving, so even 5k is very conservative. I'd base your OCIs on a percentage of the OLM, and change it no sooner than 50%, and no later than 20%. A good oil filter can safely be used for two OCIs with frequent oil changes.

TLDR: is there any benefit or merit to changing M1 EP at 3k miles on a DI Turbo engine compared to running it for 5k?
Absolutely not. Pull some in-service samples at your target mileage, then make a decision based on data, not a guess or from emotions. Whether it’s fuel %, insolubles, soot, viscosity, or TBN/TAN, at least the decision will have a bit of actual reasoning behind the decision to dump the oil.

I’m not a Mobil fanboy by any measure, but I’m almost certain that even AFE will happily surprise you with its results at 5-7k.

Back