5k OCI Overkill: M1 EP vs Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

It depends. While under warranty, likely better of with an approved oil. Within the approved lubricant world there are tiers - ex. Mobil Super, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP. All 3 have a dexos 1 gen 3 license. Of the 3, Mobil 1 EP greatly exceeds industry standard tests. For example, the IIIH - Mobil 1 scored 20x better than the industry standard limit for viscosity increase whereas regular M1 was 10x.

Or if you're interested in ultra-premium oils that operate outside the chemical restriction box as some put it, you have HPL, Amsoil and Red Line which are fortified with significantly higher levels of metallic additives which put the sulfated ash levels well over 1.0. These oils are great in their own right for the niche market they operate in.
OTOH, when I was at my local automotive store yesterday, the "lower" tier Pennzoil Platinum carries the Dexos 1 Gen 3 label while their more "premium product" (Ultra Platinum) does not (while charging extra). Maybe the PUP very likely already meets/exceeds Dexos 1 Gen 3 but Shell hasn't yet gone for the license (or they are in the process of changing over their product)?

In any case, I walked out with 3 jugs of PP 0w-20 as they were on sale (they also happen to have the with the Dexos 1 Gen 3 label). I guess my car should be fine regardless of PP or PUP at the OEM oil change interval (8000 km)?

OTOH, when I was at my local automotive store yesterday, the "lower" tier Pennzoil Platinum carries the Dexos 1 Gen 3 label while their more "premium product" (Ultra Platinum) does not (while charging extra). Maybe the PUP very likely already meets/exceeds Dexos 1 Gen 3 but Shell hasn't yet gone for the license (or they are in the process of changing over their product)?
Maybe they're using a different add pack for Ultra that was never tested for D1G3? Ultra is a lower volume product, perhaps the economics of licensing do not make sense.

Walmart $77 3x 5Q M1EP 0w-20 - $20 rebate = $19/5Q jug. That's about as cheap as you can find for any oil.
Yea I got 6 of the jugs which between my civic and the wife’s inbound 1.5t CRV should last us 2 years. OEM filters are also stocked up

Back