10 facts about GMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've mentioned previously, most shoppers of GMC list Ford as #2 choice, and Chevy as #3 choice.

That alone says it's worth keeping.

I've always found the "Ford is #1 sales in trucks" amusing since the Chevy/GMC twins outsell the Ford F-150 and all variants every year.

Very interesting post, thank you. I spend most of my time on Subie forums, but find sifting through threads on here about other makes very interesting.

I 100% agree with lovcom about choosing based on your current needs, but he seems to have missed the point of this thread. I didn't finish reading your thread and decide to trade my Subie in for a GMC. If I were in the market for a truck, this post would not have been a factor. As you said, this thread wasn't intended as a GMC-is-#1-all-others-are-poop kind of thread. All well...

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
GMB: (slight pun intended there...
wink.gif
)

It was not my intent at all to unpleasantly put you on the spot. I'm just curious about your perspective from inside as to the parallels between the Chevy/GMC (and perhaps Cadillac, as in the Escalade).

Over the years, I've been hot and cold and in between about GM and its products, and I guess the same is true as to virtually ALL car makers. I've owned cars from GM, Ford, Chrysler, VW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan-Inf. While every single one of these makers has played the "clone game", GM, in my perception (and I may be very wrong...) has been the most transparent about it. To GM's credit, they seem to have been moving toward making more meaningful distinctions between "platform siblings" than in the past. The Denali example is a good one. And they completely killed Olds and Pontiac. I remember back in the early 80s, almost the only difference between a Chevy Celeb, a Pontiac 6k, a Buick Century, an Olds Cutlass Supreme, etc. was pretty much the grille and the tail lights. Now I admit, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I think you see the point. And actually, I too prefer the appearance of the GMC trucks compared to the Chevys, but I still wonder -- why? Denalis are surely nice products, but I think if I wanted a truck, it would not be for the n-th degree of sweet smelling leather seats, if you catch my drift. In ten years, will GM still be selling trucks under both the Chevy and GMC brands? (And don't forget -- you have the right to remain silent...
wink.gif
).

All else aside, have a safe and Merry Christmas!

You are fine - I didn't take your post the wrong way at all, it is a very good question in fact. As for GM in the past, like your example, yes GM was the worst at "badge engineering" where cars like the Citation/Phoenix/Sklark and the Celebrity/Ciera/6000/Century were disgustingly similiar. Now, thank goodness, you don't see GM in that situation any longer. Why we do share "platforms" and some common components (such as switchs and some radios) between models - it is much more concealed and "sense making" where the buyer truly gets a unique model. As for GMC being around another 10 years - that is anyone's guess....but I can tell you there will still be GMC's with the upcoming 2014 models.

Fact #11.. my 1988 GMC S15 was in the shop more than any other vehicle I've owned combined.

Fac #12.. my parents 00 Impala was in the shop more than any other vehicle my dad owned in 40 years and was the last of a long line of Chevy's.. prefers Toyota now go figure.

I could add a few more but that would be redundant. I'm keeping with the theme yes?

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Fact #11.. my 1988 GMC S15 was in the shop more than any other vehicle I've owned combined.

Fac #12.. my parents 00 Impala was in the shop more than any other vehicle my dad owned in 40 years and was the last of a long line of Chevy's.. prefers Toyota now go figure.

I could add a few more but that would be redundant. I'm keeping with the theme yes?

Some more facts...
13. No, now you are trolling

14. My 89 GMC 1 ton that towed for most of the 180,000 miles I owned it with no issues .

15. My 01 Grand Prix that I put 270,000 miles on.

I could keep going but that what be redudant...
06.gif

16. The one client that I have that is closing in on a half million miles drives a C1500 TBI 350. Nothing but the speedometer/odometer works in the interior anymore. Even the knocking heat blend door is now silent. But no Toyotas, Fords or Jeeps are near that mark amongst the many trucks I see monthly.

I'm pretty sure my C1500 has more miles than anyone elses vehicle on here (or I haven't seen anyones sig with more). They seem to hold up well in my experience. But, as GMBoy said, it's really not the point of the thread. Although it turning into what it has was inevitable. Any thread involving GM will bring out the "haters".

I friend of mine has a 2002 GMC pickup 4x4 1/2 ton, owned It since 2004.

it was ok till about 115,000 miles. then everything start falling apart. note it gets light use, most miles are highway with no load.

but the number one reason To NOT buy a GMC over a Chevy? in the long run that is: cost of parts if you get in fender bender

GM Boy, I am ok with a feel good article about a product line. How are they inferior? I once had a fleet of 8-10 trucks from pick up to 3 24,000 gvw. I had lots of Fords, a couple of Chevys, a bunch of GMC, Heavy duty Nissans and 2 or 3 Ivecos.

All of them were good vehicles and did their jobs well. The GMC was an all day every day, reliable truck that did what ever you asked it to do, They are cheaper to fix and maitain, parts are are available like yesterday, the dealers are everywhere, every indy knows GM product, they ran hundreds of thousands of hard miles.

The domestics were my most reliable and always on the job. If the Iveco or Nissan broke down, it was nothing to wait 2 or 3 weeks for a part... and they were good trucks too. all in all If you size the truck for the job and do the maintenance then the truck will love you for a long time.

I like GMC trucks and I like Ford, Dodge, International and so forth.

It's okay to highlight accomplishments.

Thank You Ghostflame, I too like other trucks. I really like the new Fords - the interiors are very nice and the eco boost engine looks good to me. My wife actually wants a new F150....she drives the 2006 GMC now and loves it but she admits those new Fords are nice.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Thank You Ghostflame, I too like other trucks. I really like the new Fords - the interiors are very nice and the eco boost engine looks good to me. My wife actually wants a new F150....she drives the 2006 GMC now and loves it but she admits those new Fords are nice.

Hmmmmm, given your "professional orientation," that could be grounds for divorce. Look me up in Pensacola if you'd like some initial advice. We are, of course, "professional grade" lawyers at my firm. I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist saying that.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor

Way to go GM, but unfortunately these kind of lists mean virtually nothing to me.
+1

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor

Way to go GM, but unfortunately these kind of lists mean virtually nothing to me.
+1

Just a few fun little facts guys, it made a cool thread.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Hmmmmm, given your "professional orientation," that could be grounds for divorce. Look me up in Pensacola if you'd like some initial advice. We are, of course, "professional grade" lawyers at my firm. I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist saying that.
wink.gif

LOL!! I sure will.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
..and the Haters sure came lol

...they ALWAYS DO, and ALWAYS will on this site.
frown.gif
mad.gif

I like you more and more every post!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Interesting post guys, I'm looking at GMC trucks now. I was considering Nissan trucks, but perfer American. More input PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back