10 facts about GMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
In light of the earlier post about Chevy trucks and GMC trucks, I thought I'd share this:
------------------------------------------------------

GMC is one of the longest-running brands in the General Motors portfolio, the second-largest of the four GM brands in U.S. sales, and a standard bearer for engineering in pickup trucks, SUVs, and crossover vehicles. Here are 10 little-known facts about GMC:

1. The GMC name turns 100 years old in 2012. In 1912, Rapid Motor Vehicle Company was merged with two others – Reliance and Randolph – to become GMC.

2. On August 1, 1909, a Rapid F-406-B – a GMC predecessor – was the first truck to reach the 14,110-foot summit of Pikes Peak.

3. If GMC was a standalone manufacturer, it would be the tenth-largest automaker in the United States in terms of total vehicle sales from January to November of 2011.

4. GMC built some of the world’s earliest electric vehicles from 1912-1917. These trucks had single-digit model names, each denoting load capacity, from one-half-ton to 12 tons.

5. GMC’s luxury-focused Denali trim level currently outsells the entire product lines of some premium automakers, including Land Rover, Jaguar, and Porsche.

6. GMC was tasked with engineering and production of the 1936 Parade of Progress vans and the 1941 Futurliners, which toured the country carrying mobile road shows.

7. Today, GMC and the Denali trim level are among the fastest-growing nameplates in the U.S. with respective sales increases of 22 percent and 91 percent year over year.

8. During World War II, GMC manufactured approximately 584,000 military vehicles, including the CCKW-353 “Deuce-and-a-Half” and the amphibious “Duck.”

9. The GMC Sierra – the brand’s top selling model – outsold the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan combined, with 40,000 sales to spare, through the first 11 months of 2011.

10. From 1973-1978, GMC produced motorhomes in 23- and 26-foot lengths. They appeared in Bill Murray’s 1981 movie, Stripes and the 1996 blockbuster, Twister.

SOURCE: GM COMMUNICATIONS
http://communicator.gm.com/newswire/usnews/index.html?id=1324482088474.html

Thanks, I love my '03 GMC Sierra I bought brand new & now has over 180,000 miles.....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Now that I think about it, Denalis are pretty common. I never really thought about them outselling entire brands.

Also the Denali has the Escalade drivetrain complete with the 403hp 6.2L for 10-15K less money. Basically everything the Escalade is except for the interior - that is where the Escalade is most different.

go GMC! the high sales volumes (ie sales to dealerships, fleet, vehcies that have never even been driven) figures are quite influential. I once scoffed at McDonalds burgers, but someone told me they outsold porterhouse steaks, and without even considering why, I vowed to choose mcdonalds over any full course dining experience. If they sell more, it has to be better!

jk

Way to go GM, but unfortunately these kind of lists mean virtually nothing to me.

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
go GMC! the high sales volumes (ie sales to dealerships, fleet, vehcies that have never even been driven) figures are quite influential. I once scoffed at McDonalds burgers, but someone told me they outsold porterhouse steaks, and without even considering why, I vowed to choose mcdonalds over any full course dining experience. If they sell more, it has to be better!

jk

Way to go GM, but unfortunately these kind of lists mean virtually nothing to me.

That is a lot of misinformation there regarding "sales to dealerships, fleet, vehcies that have never even been driven". The sales numbers are actual sales to customers. And this was not a "GMC is #1" thread - just purely informational..geez.

Well, I've seen these sales figures before. Ford used them all the time to say the F-series is the best selling pickup. But this was not sales @ the dealers, so much as it was sales TO the dealers, fleets etc. It's like entertainment media, sales are tallied by unit shipped, not units sold to the end user. :IDK:

GM does deserve respect for being one of the originals in the motoring world, no argument about that.

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
Well, I've seen these sales figures before. Ford used them all the time to say the F-series is the best selling pickup. But this was not sales @ the dealers, so much as it was sales TO the dealers, fleets etc. It's like entertainment media, sales are tallied by unit shipped, not units sold to the end user. :IDK:

GM does deserve respect for being one of the originals in the motoring world, no argument about that.

Actually, lol, you are correct! I verified that here at my plant once we build and ship a unit it is counted in our sales. But, given that this is also done by Ford and the other makers it still leaves an apples to apples comparison since one day the units will be in customer hands. I don't understand why or agree with it, though.

Last edited:
Is GMC a team? Do they play football, basketball or baseball? It is really sad when people treat a company like a team. The team can be losers, and these people will still root for the team.

It is far better to NOT be brand loyal. Go with the brand that has the best value and reliability at the time you need to purchase.

Brand loyalty means you will not necessariliy make wise purchase choices.

As to GMC, it has spent most of the last 30 years making inferior products, and is the shame of any American becaues it has often shown we Americans (1) make [censored] and (2) buy [censored].

The biggest reason GMC sales are "good" is because they are often the lowest priced across the competition.

Lets hope that going forward, GMC and the other domestic car makers start making us all pround by truly making the best in the world.

Root for Quality, and not a company!

21.gif
What is a GMC? It's what you get when you buy a Chevrolet truck at a Buick dealer.

Originally Posted By: lovcom

As to GMC, it has spent most of the last 30 years making inferior products, and is the shame of any American becaues it has often shown we Americans (1) make [censor bypass attempt] and (2) buy [censor bypass attempt].

Inferior to what?

For every advantage that the F-series and Tundra has, the Silverado/Sierra excels somewhere else. They are all good trucks. And they are all made by Americans. (I would have included the Rams but all the new ones appear to be made in Mexico...they've all had VINs beginning with "3" )

Is there some foreign manufacturer of full size trucks I am unaware of that is vastly superior to the Silverado/Sierra?

mercedes-pickup-truck-.jpg

GMBoy:

I think I fully get why the GMC brand has survived, whereas Olds and Pontiac got the axe. I think... Now let me respectfully put you on the spot: is there today any real difference, other than superficial trim pieces, between the line of Chevrolet and GMC truck products? Under the skin, they seem to be virtually identical -- engines, transmissions, body structure, and so forth. I understand full well that they once were very different lines, but it doesn't look like that's the case any more. Your thoughts on this?

Is GMC a team? Do they play football, basketball or baseball? It is really sad when people treat a company like a team. The team can be losers, and these people will still root for the team.

It is far better to NOT be brand loyal. Go with the brand that has the best value and reliability at the time you need to purchase.

As to GMC, it has spent most of the last 30 years making inferior products, and is the shame of any American becaues it has often shown we Americans (1) make [censored] and (2) buy [censored].

The biggest reason GMC sales are "good" is because they are often the lowest priced across the competition.

Lets hope that going forward, GMC and the other domestic car makers start making us all pround by truly making the best in the world.

Just where in the Heck did all that [censored] come frome????

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
GMBoy:

I think I fully get why the GMC brand has survived, whereas Olds and Pontiac got the axe. I think... Now let me respectfully put you on the spot: is there today any real difference, other than superficial trim pieces, between the line of Chevrolet and GMC truck products? Under the skin, they seem to be virtually identical -- engines, transmissions, body structure, and so forth. I understand full well that they once were very different lines, but it doesn't look like that's the case any more. Your thoughts on this?

First off, I did not post this for any other reason other than just trivia. But in typical BITOG fashion, it went other ways. (not pointed at you, just a general observation)

Now, to answer your question in a nutshell. The two trucks are identical in all ways except for Denali models. With the Denali you do get the 403hp 6.2L and some upgraded trim. You can (or used to) be able to get the 6.2 optional in a Silverado but you still couldn't get some of the better appointments. Think of the Denali pickup/SUV as a lower cost Escalade since you do have the same powertrain. Since 2007+ however, the differences are slimmer.

The Denali is the standout of the GMC line (but not by much anymore), the rest are exactly identical to the Chevys...LTZ chevy to SLT GMC, etc..

I prefer GMC over Chevy just for the looks. I own a Seirra Denali crewcab because I wanted the bigger engine and luxury. But, even an LTZ Silverado is super nice and can have NAV ect.

I always recommend folks buy by looks and price when chosing GMC or Chevrolet. One other plus with a GMC is you "Usually" get a better dealer experience because they are usually tied with Cadillac or Buick dealers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Just where in the Heck did all that [censored] come frome????

Typical lovcom. Someone go buy this guy a CVCC Civic or Tercel so he will calm down.

Oh, I've been calm since I stopped being loyal to any brand. I drive a 2007 Yaris, 130,000 miles trouble free, no oil burning, so yea, I'm calm. My next car? Who knows?

GMB: (slight pun intended there...
wink.gif
)

It was not my intent at all to unpleasantly put you on the spot. I'm just curious about your perspective from inside as to the parallels between the Chevy/GMC (and perhaps Cadillac, as in the Escalade).

Over the years, I've been hot and cold and in between about GM and its products, and I guess the same is true as to virtually ALL car makers. I've owned cars from GM, Ford, Chrysler, VW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan-Inf. While every single one of these makers has played the "clone game", GM, in my perception (and I may be very wrong...) has been the most transparent about it. To GM's credit, they seem to have been moving toward making more meaningful distinctions between "platform siblings" than in the past. The Denali example is a good one. And they completely killed Olds and Pontiac. I remember back in the early 80s, almost the only difference between a Chevy Celeb, a Pontiac 6k, a Buick Century, an Olds Cutlass Supreme, etc. was pretty much the grille and the tail lights. Now I admit, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I think you see the point. And actually, I too prefer the appearance of the GMC trucks compared to the Chevys, but I still wonder -- why? Denalis are surely nice products, but I think if I wanted a truck, it would not be for the n-th degree of sweet smelling leather seats, if you catch my drift. In ten years, will GM still be selling trucks under both the Chevy and GMC brands? (And don't forget -- you have the right to remain silent...
wink.gif
).

All else aside, have a safe and Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back