Current Gen GMC/Chevy 1500 thoughts and opinions?

For the same money as the 6.2L 1500 I’d go with the 6.6L 2500 or 3500 and not have the annoying 0W20, stop start, cylinder dropping or fake engine noises generated through the stereo system.
On top of that, you get real truck tires, a suspension and steering system that you can maintain with a grease gun instead of replacing parts every five years.

Last edited:
For the same money as the 6.2L 1500 I’d go with the 6.6L 2500 or 3500 and not have the annoying 0W20, stop start, cylinder dropping or fake engine noises generated through the stereo system.
On top of that, you get real truck tires, a suspension and steering system that you can maintain with a grease gun instead of replacing parts every five years.
can’t second this enough. buy a 3/4 ton. they drive better and weren’t built just to get groceries.

I third this. A 3/4 ton will last almost forever in a regular duty cycle of taking the wife to dinner, getting 10 bags of mulch from HD, going to HEB for groceries etc... when you want a pallet of sod...no problem.
Just don't complain about the rough ride, worse fuel economy than a 1/2 ton or harsh shifting. Too many people bought 3/4 or 1 tons and complained and they got "softer "...get a 1/2 ton if that will bother you.

I drove a 2022 TrailBoss 6.2 10spd on the beach last year for several days in SUPER soft sand. It was an absolute Billy goat. It went everywhere without even a bit of wheel spin. It was actually kind of fun. Good power too.
God bless a 1/2 ton that still has 4low. It's a shame they make that an option now. It will probably be gone altogether in 10 years.
Those who say the 10spd has a low 1st that makes up for not having low range or people that don't know HOW to engage low range are a joke...and if you have to ask, you're not going to ever understand.

Last edited:
I third this. A 3/4 ton will last almost forever in a regular duty cycle of taking the wife to dinner, getting 10 bags of mulch from HD, going to HEB for groceries etc... when you want a pallet of sod...no problem.
Just don't complain about the rough ride, worse fuel economy than a 1/2 ton or harsh shifting. Too many people bought 3/4 or 1 tons and complained and they got "softer "...get a 1/2 ton if that will bother you.

I drove a 2022 TrailBoss 6.2 10spd on the beach last year for several days in SUPER soft sand. It was an absolute Billy goat. It went everywhere without even a bit of wheel spin. It was actually kind of fun. Good power too.
God bless a 1/2 ton that still has 4low. It's a shame they make that an option now. It will probably be gone altogether in 10 years.
Those who say the 10spd has a low 1st that makes up for not having low range or people that don't know HOW to engage low range are a joke...and if you have to ask, you're not going to ever understand.
Didn't know 4 low is an option now...I have used it multiple times in my 2005 Silverado...backup one of those huge bucket lift machines into our back yard and my father in law's (he tried with his cargo van and got stuck) and for driving into my ramps.

I don't think it's available on the 2.7T, I think you can get it with the 5.3 and the z71 package. The 5.3 with the standard 4x4 package looks to be an AWD truck.. IE no low range. SADNESS! That's how it looked on their ordering site. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Only GM considers 4x4 with no low transfer case a 4x4. No other truck brand has done this.

It's because their buyers complained. They built what the masses want. I knew a ton of people that say they'd want a stick shift truck and were in the market. Back in 2018, I'd show them a G56 Cummins with the options they'd want and they'd buy the automatic every time. I bought my Tacoma BECAUSE It was a 6spd manual. Who does that! The Salesman was like "Are you sure you want a manual, nobody buys these". Same with my 6.4 F350 DRW 4x4 truck. Almost word for word the same line.
FYI- Toyota's 3.4TT V6 in the Tundra makes V8 sounds on TV. V8s are the sound of strength to the masses. The cry and cry about the fuel mileage of a truck, who does that junk! There solution, V6 engine with V8 noises on TV and through the speakers...darn brilliant

It's because their buyers complained. They built what the masses want. I knew a ton of people that say they'd want a stick shift truck and were in the market. Back in 2018, I'd show them a G56 Cummins with the options they'd want and they'd buy the automatic every time. I bought my Tacoma BECAUSE It was a 6spd manual. Who does that! The Salesman was like "Are you sure you want a manual, nobody buys these". Same with my 6.4 F350 DRW 4x4 truck. Almost word for word the same line.
FYI- Toyota's 3.4TT V6 in the Tundra makes V8 sounds on TV. V8s are the sound of strength to the masses. The cry and cry about the fuel mileage of a truck, who does that junk! There solution, V6 engine with V8 noises on TV and through the speakers...darn brilliant
I personally know a woman (who was my manager in parts at a Ford dealer when I was 20 years old 20 years ago) who bought a focus and wanted a manual and the idiot salesperson talked her into the automatic (because the resale value would suck on an automatic). You know what made her car worthless in the end? The dual clutch automatic when it failed for the third time and was finally out of warranty.
When the problem is first becoming known and the car is still new people will claim it's 0.xxx% of cars failing....yeah maybe initially it's that low. But some of these problems would likely be a nearly 100% failure if you ran it long enough.

What i would be more interested in is how many failed before 200k miles. Unfortunately we won't get that kind of statistic. If you can afford to replace your vehicle every few years anyway than it's not a concern to you. But no need to try to convince everyone of your personally perceived failure rate.

I'll toss in my 2 cents: My thoughts and opinions on the current gen GMC/Chevy 1500 is that I opted for the Ram after I drove both of them and priced them out.

Now at 2 years later and still think I made the best choice. Depreciation is a b!tch though...

Thank you all for the responses!

I actually ended up purchasing a Tundra w/17k miles on it instead of the GMC a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the 3.4 TT in it is now being recalled. Fingers crossed that Toyota does a good job with handling the recall because the new Tundra really does drive great. I guess we’ll see how it all plays out though.

The “new” Tundra:

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1291.jpeg

Meanwhile-I have read several articles that guys want to dump their 3.5 Tundras because of the recall (full motor replacement) and not wanting to deal with it and (GM) dealers literally don't want them on trade.

Back