Luxury Car Owners Switching to Pickup Trucks

Boy has this thread twisted around! At least I found out that because I drive a truck I'm overweight, in debt, a fuel hog, dangerous in winter weather and on and on and on. So I'll add this one last reason for driving a truck: you're cruising on the freeway and some idiot crosses the highway into your lane. There's a heck of a crash. Trucks might come out of that luckier than cars. If I've got to face that scenario ( it happens more than you think) I think I want to be in a truck instead of a car.
 
Messages
2,874
Location
pa
for sure todays overpriced oversized trucks are the safest vehicles on the road, except the big rigs that pull trailers.
 
Messages
17,975
Location
NH
I dunno, I recall a decade or more ago that trucks were more likely to be involved in rollover accidents. That might have changed with ESC, but the fact remains, higher center of gravity means more likely to rollover in the case of an accident. More mass means more easy to punch through guardrails and the like, and wind up farther out in the woods.
 
Messages
5,624
Location
Atlanta,GA
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Personally, I feel debt is waaaay overused and gets people in debt. There is good debt and bad debt. Bad debt caused the 2007 financial crisis. As others have posted, it's your choice. Not owing anyone a nickel is a pretty good feeling. Just my 2 cents.
That. Debt free is wonderful.
And key element to becoming wealthy no matter what your income is.
You can't buy properties to be used for rentals-debt free-so you can retire at 55. Ask me how I know..........
Depreciation is your friend.
 
Messages
4,924
Location
Southeast
Originally Posted by supton
I dunno, I recall a decade or more ago that trucks were more likely to be involved in rollover accidents. That might have changed with ESC, but the fact remains, higher center of gravity means more likely to rollover in the case of an accident. More mass means more easy to punch through guardrails and the like, and wind up farther out in the woods.
To my knowledge this has not changed. Trucks have a mass advantage against smaller vehicles, but have disadvantages in rollover stability, exacerbated by lacking rollover strength. Newer ones seem to be catching up in rollover strength. A 3,000lb sedan going sideways in front of a 5500lb truck at 60 mph has more than enough energy to send the truck sideways into an epic roll. A 35mph accident on city streets will favor the truck in my arm-chair-engineer mind. What I'm not sure about is crumple zone management. That sturdy BOF construction needed for doing truck things may not compromise as well as as unibody vehicle. So... it all comes down to ... how you crash. I drive a truck, so I'm not trying to bias in any direction.
 
Last edited:
Messages
17,975
Location
NH
I suspect BOF matters not. You'd think it would, but, if they have to pass the same crash standards as cars, then the frame has to not matter. Otherwise the same standards couldn't apply. My pure guess is that they design so as to have strength in one direction (up/down). Forces come in from other directions will cause deformation so as to dissipate energy. Wild guess but how many frames today are long and straight? I suspect most have angles and curves so as to give areas that will bend, but only for forces for any direction other than up/down. [For the record I have both a BOF and unibody vehicles. I don't think I have a bias either way.]
 
Messages
4,437
Location
Guilford, CT
EVERYONE judges others to some degree. It's human nature. What if someone told you they bought a brand new tri-axle dump truck as a daily driver? And they park it in their driveway and just use it to commute to their office job and they never actually haul anything in it? You can say "It's a free country, it's their money, it's none of my business or anyone else's, blah blah blah" all you want, but you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't think buying a dump truck for that purpose is ridiculous and stupid! And as soon as that thought crosses your mind - you've just judged that person. Some are just more judgmental than others. Just sayin'.
 
Messages
4,924
Location
Southeast
^^^ Yes. It's human nature. The challenge is to learn to Evaluate, but stop the thought process before it becomes judging. To judge is to commit a sentence. To evaluate is to measure.
 
Messages
1,547
Location
Texas, USA
I really don't care that so many people spend $60K+ to drive a pickup back and forth to work. If they're happy, I'm thrilled. I just wish they'd learn how to drive a large vehicle in such a manner that doesn't put others in danger of being killed or mamed. I'm sorry that your vehicle is too tall or long to see me in your blind spot, but it may be safe to assume that, during rush hour, there's ALWAYS someone in your blind spot, and act accordingly. Some day, I'm going to stop making accommodations (slamming on the brakes and steering away) for the bully-like driving styles of the pickup drivers around here and just start letting them hit me, and let the police and insurance companies deal with them.
 
Messages
17,975
Location
NH
Originally Posted by meep
^^^ Yes. It's human nature. The challenge is to learn to Evaluate, but stop the thought process before it becomes judging. To judge is to commit a sentence. To evaluate is to measure.
Just wanted to say I agree with you, although I'd call your "evaluate" or "measure" as "my opinion". I have lots of opinions, and most of 'em I don't expect anyone to care about much less to act on.
 
Messages
756
Location
Northern California
Originally Posted by MrMoody
This new trend has been going on for about 30 years. I've heard high-end pickups referred to as "cowboy Cadillacs" for literally decades. Then the Escalade pickup came out in '02?
Pickup trucks have become the new 'land barges' of the 70's. Parking lots now need to expand the parking spaces to accommodate what people drive. It's always odd to see a large pickup truck in a spot marked as compact.
 
Messages
586
Location
Raleigh NC
Originally Posted by exranger06
What if someone told you they bought a brand new tri-axle dump truck as a daily driver? And they park it in their driveway and just use it to commute to their office job and they never actually haul anything in it?
I know guys who collect and drive things like deuce-and-a-half military trucks, which is almost as ridiculous a personal vehicle with no useful purpose. I don't think they're driving them to work, but they do drive them around just for fun. It's just a big toy to me, there's plenty of expensive, impractical toys out there. I don't begrudge anyone their toys. Boats burn gas like you would not believe, and no one who doesn't fish for a living needs one but every lake bigger than a farm pond is full of them.
 

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Messages
46,077
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by exranger06
What if someone told you they bought a brand new tri-axle dump truck as a daily driver? And they park it in their driveway and just use it to commute to their office job and they never actually haul anything in it?
I know guys who collect and drive things like deuce-and-a-half military trucks, which is almost as ridiculous a personal vehicle with no useful purpose. I don't think they're driving them to work, but they do drive them around just for fun. It's just a big toy to me, there's plenty of expensive, impractical toys out there. I don't begrudge anyone their toys. Boats burn gas like you would not believe, and no one who doesn't fish for a living needs one but every lake bigger than a farm pond is full of them.
Exactly. I can blow through $100 in ammo on my .338LM in a couple of minutes, doing nothing more than punching holes in paper.
 
Messages
247
Location
Denver, CO
Originally Posted by ediamiam
Originally Posted by MrMoody
This new trend has been going on for about 30 years. I've heard high-end pickups referred to as "cowboy Cadillacs" for literally decades. Then the Escalade pickup came out in '02?
Pickup trucks have become the new 'land barges' of the 70's. Parking lots now need to expand the parking spaces to accommodate what people drive. It's always odd to see a large pickup truck in a spot marked as compact.
I more so believe they need to pass a driving test for a larger truck. I have been driving trucks since I was 15 and I make it a point to park well. Then there are guys taking up 2.5 spots because they don't know how to park or maneuver larger wheel bases.
 

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
Messages
1,717
Location
FL
Originally Posted by Env1ous
Originally Posted by ediamiam
Originally Posted by MrMoody
This new trend has been going on for about 30 years. I've heard high-end pickups referred to as "cowboy Cadillacs" for literally decades. Then the Escalade pickup came out in '02?
Pickup trucks have become the new 'land barges' of the 70's. Parking lots now need to expand the parking spaces to accommodate what people drive. It's always odd to see a large pickup truck in a spot marked as compact.
I more so believe they need to pass a driving test for a larger truck. I have been driving trucks since I was 15 and I make it a point to park well. Then there are guys taking up 2.5 spots because they don't know how to park or maneuver larger wheel bases.
Plenty of BMW and Porsche drivers taking up 2 spaces as well
 
Messages
1,322
Location
Central Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Env1ous
I more so believe they need to pass a driving test for a larger truck. I have been driving trucks since I was 15 and I make it a point to park well. Then there are guys taking up 2.5 spots because they don't know how to park or maneuver larger wheel bases think they can do whatever they want because they're bigger.
Fixed. When I worked at Lowe's, "contractors" smirk2 did this all the time. This or they'd park in my loading zone for 2 hours, which irritated those who followed the rules. Every time I'd unload a truck of lumber/concrete/etc. with a forklift, I'd make it a point to completely pin them in and I took my sweet time to let them leave. grin And before anyone criticizes, I only did this to the obnoxiously parked or chronic offenders. Served them right.
 
Messages
17,235
Location
...
I think "fixing " other members comments in a quote is done in poor taste and should be discouraged here.
 
Messages
43,670
Location
'Stralia
Originally Posted by meep
To my knowledge this has not changed. Trucks have a mass advantage against smaller vehicles, but have disadvantages in rollover stability, exacerbated by lacking rollover strength. Newer ones seem to be catching up in rollover strength. A 3,000lb sedan going sideways in front of a 5500lb truck at 60 mph has more than enough energy to send the truck sideways into an epic roll. A 35mph accident on city streets will favor the truck in my arm-chair-engineer mind.
They have come a LOOOOOONG way... My best engineer witnessed a Colorado come off the road at highway speeds, drifted onto the centre grasslands, slid a bit, overcorrected the slide, and the truck got tripped over and rolled. Landed on it's roof, and the lady driver forced the door open and got out. Saw 4 people get out of a rolled Hilux the other week near work...out the windows due to orientation, but the ute was standing fairly and squarely on it's roof, not collapsed pillars like the old days. I've seen more regular cars then utes on their roof over the last 35 years, and the modern ones are very good.
Originally Posted by meep
What I'm not sure about is crumple zone management. That sturdy BOF construction needed for doing truck things may not compromise as well as as unibody vehicle.
Again, that's changed...in Oz, the Colorado is a five star safety rated vehicle in the crash testing programme (even the Chinese LDV has stepped up to 5 stars)...the Mustang is 3.5 stars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGdLvMh5OPs&t=140s
 
Messages
1,322
Location
Central Oklahoma
Originally Posted by PimTac
I think "fixing " other members comments in a quote is done in poor taste and should be discouraged here.
That's an opinion. I'll reserve mine. That's what a forum is. A place of opinions. It was simply my own opinion. If I wanted to do it in poor taste I wouldn't have used strikethrough. Wasn't there something said in this thread about "buttin in"...? wink
 
Messages
17,975
Location
NH
Originally Posted by Shannow
I've seen more regular cars then utes on their roof over the last 35 years, and the modern ones are very good.
Interesting--I can't say I've made that observation, but all vehicles today seem very safe. Although I'm still scratching my head--one day I saw a Cayenne on it side in the middle of the highway. Sunny morning, dry road, etc. Yet sitting on its door. I guess nothing is idiot-proof as the idiots just keep getting smarter.
 
Top