Another killed in a Honda with Takata airbag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
You know where we're heading when the book was thrown at VW for emissions, but it's business as usual when people are dying.

Some of my friends are smack-talking about Tesla since they are "non-union" and I resisted the urge to tell them Honda is just as callous as 1970s-1990s Detroit - Ford walked away from the park pawl issues, flimsy TFI modules and alternator/cruise control wiring, and the Pinto. GM got away with murder with the side-mounted fuel tanks on the pre-GMT400 series trucks. Chrysler had faulty tailgates on their minivans. And of course, Toyota - but that was more to do with buggy code than mechanical issues.

A friend got the notice from Subaru about 2 months ago when his 2012 Forester was in the body shop, and the dealer has the parts in stock. Previously, Subaru of America said only the 2003-2005 cars were affected. Subaru dealers aren't that great when it comes to service - but if they can handle a critical recall quicker than Honda, that says something. Takata is part-owned by Honda, they are the primary supplier of seatbelts and airbags for Honda. While Honda themselves said they will no longer use Takata airbags, I doubt that would be on the magnitude of the Ford and Firestone split - that was family ties. Japanese business and finance are intertwined with each other.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Originally Posted By: CKN
If people don't take their cars in for the fix-who's fault is that? As far as not receiving a recall notice-OK maybe. But you would have to be living in a cave not to know your car was affected. When this first came to the surface. It WAS PUBLICIZED on local and national news shows-both on radio and T.V. as well as online sources. It was even on my AOL homepage news-and I'm one of the few left who has that on my homepage sign on.

I find it very hard to believe that there are people out there that didn't have access to at least one of the three.

As I and several others have said, knowing about the recall doesn't make a bit of difference if the manufacturer doesn't have the parts to fix it.

It's been an across-the-board issue for every single affected maker, whether Japanese, German, Korean, or American(and any other affected ones I'm leaving out). I've know about the recall on the car I'm driving now for well over a year, but the dealership can't get replacement bags to fix it.

So, I'll turn the question around-if the owner makes a good faith attempt to have the recall repaired but has an accident before it can be done(remember,the clock is ticking at over a year for me) who is at fault?

I guess it depends on how the recall notice is written. I currently have one on my Subaru. If you leave the windshield wipers in the "upright" position-it's something about the warm motor coming in contact with a plastic cover and then your car burns down. They suggest not leaving your wipers in that position-and parking your car outside. I'm not doing anything about the recall-the car is being traded in this week.
So-if I do both of these things they suggest NOT DOING and my house burns down-who's at fault?

Personally-I wouldn't let my loved one drive a car currently involved in the air bag recall. It's just too dangerous. Whether that means ride sharing, public transportation-or if you have the means a car rental. Does the recall notice suggest not driving the vehicle?

I have a very poor paint job on the Subaru-they refuse to do anything about. Granted-this isn't safety related-but manufacturers not standing behind their product is-unfortunately nothing new.

Last edited:

Personally-I wouldn't let my loved one drive a car currently involved in the air bag recall. It's just too dangerous. Whether that means ride sharing, public transportation-or if you have the means a car rental. Does the recall notice suggest not driving the vehicle?

I have a very poor paint job on the Subaru-they refuse to do anything about. Granted-this isn't safety related-but manufacturers not standing behind their product is-unfortunately nothing new.

Not all of us live in urban areas where there is ready access to public transportation. Even though I could get by on it somewhat, I still need to travel places where public transport isn't practical.

The only co-worker I have who lives near me also has a vehicle under the recall-truth be told it can be difficult to find a vehicle these days NOT covered by it.

Rent a car? Even if I were independently wealthy, I couldn't afford to rent one for over a year. Again, this is the sort of timeline that most of us affected are looking at on a repair. Heck, every time I've checked, I get a date even further in the future.

Having a car is a fact of life for a good portion of Americans, and telling someone who relies on their 4 or 5 figure purchase to get to work and do their job isn't exactly a solution that's even remotely possible.

Not all of us live in urban areas where there is ready access to public transportation. Even though I could get by on it somewhat, I still need to travel places where public transport isn't practical.

The only co-worker I have who lives near me also has a vehicle under the recall-truth be told it can be difficult to find a vehicle these days NOT covered by it.

Rent a car? Even if I were independently wealthy, I couldn't afford to rent one for over a year. Again, this is the sort of timeline that most of us affected are looking at on a repair. Heck, every time I've checked, I get a date even further in the future.

Having a car is a fact of life for a good portion of Americans, and telling someone who relies on their 4 or 5 figure purchase to get to work and do their job isn't exactly a solution that's even remotely possible.

Then-you could be injured fatally-if your unwilling, unable to put any of my suggestions to work. And you know the risks-and accept them by getting in your car every day.

Not trying to be flippant-but that's the situation. As I mentioned-I would do whatever it takes not to have anyone I cared about in a vehicle covered under the recall.

Last edited:
And that's all good and well to say, but like I said it's just not a feasible solution for folks who have to have a vehicle and have one so affected. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The list of affected vehicles seems to grow every few weeks, and so there there may well be folks driving around out there with faulty Takata bags that haven't yet been recalled.

The only real solution is to just get the blasted parts, but that seems to be impossible these days.

I can get by with a mix of my bike, Uber and public transit - but I still need my car to go outside of the city limits and even in urban metropolises like the San Francisco Bay Area and to an extent LA and Chicago public transit becomes non-existent after you leave the "core" - SF/Oakland/Berkeley for me or it runs very limited hours.

Honda and Subaru have been offering loaners or even paying for a rental from Hertz or Enterprise - but they can get expensive quick at $20-30/day. I knew of someone that was driving around in a rental Chevy on Honda's dime since her Fit was in the shop. I can understand not wanting to drive it due to a Claymore mine in the steering wheel and she has a kid. Toyota made it a point when Lexus was introduced any anyone who brings their car in for service is entitled to a loaner - but there's only so many of them and the magnitude of a safety-related recall, they had dealer techs drive out to customer's homes to carry out the first Lexus recall.

yes, isnt there so many cars with these air bags and not enough inventory of replacement air bags that replacement via recall will take a long time.

only thing on Honda is they kind of covered up initially which blows their quality mantra out of the water, ie they are no better than anyone else, but guess their CEO comitted harakiri by steping on the sword for the cover up.

Checked on our '04 Civic we bought earlier this year and found it needing the passenger airbag recall done.

I called our local dealer on Friday (5th), they set us up for an appointment today. In and out within 45 minutes. Not bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back