Flat tire help - urgent but not emergency anymore

Yea, much better to spend 2 or 3 hours searching for and then sit around at a shop waiting to get a tire repaired on vacation, instead of spending 2 minutes shoving a plug into the tire.

Exactly. Had a bolt in a tire while on vacation in CO. We were in my offroad rig at the time Xterra. I had a compressor with me for airing up/down on the trails, so I topped it off until we hit a walmart for food/supplies. Grabbed a "cheap rope kit", put it in while my son was playing in the pool, aired it up. Finished 10 more days on the trails...trip home to Iowa including the slab across NE at ~75-80mph, and daily life until I sold it a couple years later. All it cost was ~$8 and a few minutes I didn't have to be in the pool. Zero impact on family vacation time. If I had stopped at a tire shop, it would have been a mandatory tire replacement as it was in a shoulder lug, although still about 2" in from the shoulder, and several hours of time sitting and waiting if I were lucky enough they had or could even find my size of off road tire. Yeah...rope kit FTW!!!!

" A new set of tires " ? Huh ?

If tires are a bit worn, and you have a newer AWD car, the difference in RR can throw error codes. A tire that can't be repaired on today's AWD systems means new rubber all the 'way 'round.

Last edited:
If tires are a bit worn, and you have a newer AWD car, the difference in RR can throw error codes. A tire that can't be repaired on today's AWD systems means new rubber all the 'way 'round.
This 2012 Fit is AWD ?

That sure sounds like an oddball tire size.
It is a very odd ball tire size in the US where Fit was an instant hit but was discontinued/sacrificed for Civic and especially HRV. Most shops don’t carry it because no other cars spec’ed for it.

Definitely just go to Costco, they will take care of you.
And they sure did.

Costco fixed the flat, which took awhile to find the leak cause, and mounted it. They even rotated and balance the whole set for FREE and I didn’t buy them there as they pulled up the record and my last Costco set was Premier and not these Defenders. I was not sure where I brought these due to lack of availability.

Yea, much better to spend 2 or 3 hours searching for and then sit around at a shop waiting to get a tire repaired on vacation, instead of spending 2 minutes shoving a plug into the tire.
Fortunately, we have these things called "smart phones" and we can use them on a thing called "google" to find exactly what we need wherever we might be.
You can then call or text for cost and timing.
I've plugged tires in the past but would prefer a proper repair on a long road trip with a heavy load, especially on a tire maybe a third or fourth way through its service life.

Fortunately, we have these things called "smart phones" and we can use them on a thing called "google" to find exactly what we need wherever we might be.
You can then call or text for cost and timing.
Most business establishments use land lines so not sure who you would text. If you want to spend an hour by the side of the road searching for a repair place on a 5 inch screen, knock yourself out. That's an exercise in frustration. I would have put the spare tire on and be on my way in a few minutes.

I am on vacation in Canada and my 2012 Fit (185/55R16) just got a flat. I visually checked the tires before heading out to the train station this morning and the front tires look slightly low but I figured it was due to the wheel being turned causing them to look low. They drove fine to the training station and looked fine. I tried to check upon return but couldn’t have a good look becaise the parking lot was dark and my Fit was squeezed between two large trucks.

The drive home was 18 miles and around 15 miles I noticed the tire pressure gauge turned on. The car still drove fine so I drove home and saw that the front driver side was very low but far from completely flat. I put away the shopping bags and went out with intention of driving to the nearest open gas station with a confirmed tire pump and notice the tire was completely flat at the time, which was less than 30 mins from when I pulled in the lodging driveway.

Of course, the one time I left my e-kit at home, I have a flat. I did pit the donut tire on. This trip included 5 people and all of our gears which loaded the car up fully so I couldn’t bring my trusty Caterpillar jump box that has a air pump and a small compartment for my flat tire repair kit.

I got the tires in the US and am now in Hamilton, Ontario. There is a Wally about 2 miles away and a Costco 8 miles away. I don’t trust Wally in US for tires, would Costco fix my flat as I am a member but don’t recall if I got this set of tires there at Costco or not since tires in weird size had 8+ months waiting period during covid. I don’t mind paying for the repair as it can’t be more than $40 CAD. I just rather not be scammed into a new set of tires when these Michelin Defenders only have 20k miles on them at the most and I remember for sure having to wait 2 years for availability during covid because ai wanted Defender tires and not just anything available.

Any tip on honest shop would be great. I would love to just have Costco do the repair even if ai have to pay. Is Canadian Tires a good and honest shop?

Thanks.
M1, you will have to be more descriptive of this flat if we are to help you.

if you drove any distance at all on it flat the tire is ruined now
I think I am 10-15 seconds lucky as it still had air when I pulled over but was dead flat 10. Ins later when I was about to head out last night to pump it up to avoid having a the heavy front end weight pressuring on a flat tire over night. So I changed the flat out for for the donut last night snd drove the donut, which someone lost air in the 2-3 weeks sitting in my trunk as I prepped the vehicle with oil and filter change, brake fluid change, brake inspection, and tire rotation and balance, and underbody inspection. The only thing I failed to do is to brong my tosd side assistance kit, enich I have but needed to leave at home to make room for gears.

Back