Top Domestic Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trucks Vans SUVs
http://wot.motortrend.com/top-10-trucks-suvs-vans-north-american-parts-content-67961.html
Quote:

Dodge and Toyota make the vehicles with the most North American parts content, according to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report. The Dodge Dakota is made with 84 percent of its parts coming from the U.S. or Canada.

Thanks to the American Automobile Labeling Act, the NHTSA issues a report every year that lists vehicles according to the amount parts that are derived from the U.S. and Canada. Percentages can change from year-to-year, but for 2011, the now-dead Ford Explorer Sport Trac tops the list for trucks, vans, SUVs, and cars with a full 90 percent of its parts from North America. We’ve omitted that vehicle, along with the defunct Mercury Mountaineer and outgoing Ford Explorer — each at 85 percent — before collecting the top performers in each segment. Check out the top cars in the related post right here.

Top Trucks

The midsize Dodge Dakota, at 84 percent, has just a bit more North American content than the full-size Toyota Tundra, at 80 percent. The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon come in third, with 75 percent. For those who are curious, the 2011 report shows the Ram truck at 70 percent, the Chevrolet Silverado at 61 percent, and the Ford F-Series at 60 percent.

Top SUVs

Toyota’s large Sequoia SUV and Dodge’s midsize Nitro SUV have the highest North American parts content of any currently made SUV, according to the 2011 report, at 80 percent each. The four-door Jeep Wrangler has 79 percent North American content, actually one percent higher than the two-door model. The Jeep Liberty — made alongside the Dodge Nitro — is listed at 78 percent. The Buick Enclave has the highest content from the U.S. and Canada among luxury SUVs, at 75 percent, followed by the Acura RDX at 70 percent.

Top Vans/Minivans

The Dodge Grand Caravan has a higher North American parts content than any van or minivan, at 82 percent, even higher than the Chrysler Town & Country, which is at 80 percent. GMC’s Savana slips in at 80 percent, followed by the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey at 75 percent. Not surprisingly, the Ford Transit Connect has 10 percent North American parts content, as it is manufactured primarily in Turkey. The Kia Sedona is shown at 7 percent while the Mazda5 minivan has, well, 5 percent North American parts content, not a surprise, since the vehicles are made in South Korea and Japan, respectively.

Do you think that a vehicle’s North American parts content is more important for a truck or SUV than a car? How much would that affect your vehicle purchasing decision? Tell us in the comments section below.

Source: NHTSA

Top Cars
http://wot.motortrend.com/top-cars-north-american-parts-content-67627.html
Quote:

When “Made in America” is the most important consideration in purchasing a new car, consumers would be wise to head to a Dodge dealership and test drive an Avenger. That sedan, according to a 2011 report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, has 83 percent of its parts content from the U.S. and Canada.

Below, we’ve compiled a list of the top cars with the most North American parts content list below comes from data required of automakers by law thanks to the American Automobile Labeling Act. A companion post with trucks, SUVs, and vans is right here. The car list is full of Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors products but also includes a few representatives from Honda and Toyota.

The parts content percentages change from one year to the next. Last year, for example, the Honda Accord had 75 percent of its content derived from the U.S. and Canada, down 5 percent compared to the 2011 report. The Ford Fusion (and Lincoln MKZ) is listed as having 20 percent parts content from the U.S. and Canada – likely due to the fact that the factory is in Mexico – while the Nissan Altima appears in the 2011 report at 60 percent. Affordable midsize sedans comprise the first five positions on the NHTSA report, part of which is shown here.

1. Dodge Avenger – 83%

2. Chrysler 200 sedan – 81%

3. Toyota Camry – 80%

3. Toyota Avalon – 80%

3. Honda Accord – 80%

4. Chevrolet Impala – 77%

5. Cadillac DTS – 76%

5. Buick Lucerne – 76%

6. Chevrolet Malibu – 75%

6. Chevrolet Corvette – 75%

6. Lincoln Town Car – 75%

6. Acura TL – 75%

7. Dodge Caliber – 73%

7. Chrysler 300 – 73%

8. Dodge Charger – 70%

8. Dodge Challenger – 70%

8. Honda Civic – 70%

9. Chevrolet Camaro – 66%

10. Toyota Matrix – 65%

10. Cadillac STS – 65%

10. Cadillac CTS – 65%

10. Ford Taurus – 65%

10. Ford Mustang – 65%

Would a new car’s parts content percentage influence your purchasing decision? Tell us what you think in the comments section below.

Source: NHTSA

Why is Canada considered to be part of the United States when it comes to car manufacturing? I'd like a list of the US parts in cars, not the US and one other selected foreign country. Why leave out Mexico? It is mostly in North America.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Why is Canada considered to be part of the United States when it comes to car manufacturing? I'd like a list of the US parts in cars, not the US and one other selected foreign country. Why leave out Mexico? It is mostly in North America.

Leaving out Mexico makes the Japanese look more "American". Because of course Ford, GM and Chrysler all have significant Mexican operations.

And of course Mexico is part of North America. So if Canada is included, Mexico should be as well.

I still think foreign transplants domestic parts content can be dubious. If they set up their own suppliers which is owned by the foreign country, and they do, it gets counted as if he is some high paying American owned supplier. Some subpart and assemblies get counted as domestic. This is how in the bigger picture it can be claimed the US still has manufacturing. But where are the formerly high paying manufacturing jobs? they've been lost.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I still think foreign transplants domestic parts content can be dubious. If they set up their own suppliers which is owned by the foreign country, and they do, it gets counted as if he is some high paying American owned supplier. Some subpart and assemblies get counted as domestic. This is how in the bigger picture it can be claimed the US still has manufacturing. But where are the formerly high paying manufacturing jobs? they've been lost.

Good point. It's all a game of obfuscation and lies anyway.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Leaving out Mexico makes the Japanese look more "American". Because of course Ford, GM and Chrysler all have significant Mexican operations.

And of course Mexico is part of North America. So if Canada is included, Mexico should be as well.

That's a good point, but I'd argue Canada should be considered US domestic content. The US auto industry has a long history with Canada of providing good paying auto industry jobs that one could freely move across wthe border. Not really the case with Mexico.

There is a significant difference between claiming the highest North American content versus the most US-Canadian content in my mind. Mexico is certainly part of North America. I'll grant the economic conditions are different in Mexico then the US or Canada, but I've had no issue with the automotive parts I've bought that have come from there. Certainly much better performance then the equivalent Chinese parts I've experienced...

quote mechanicx:"[b]I still think foreign transplants domestic parts content can be dubious. If they set up their own suppliers which is owned by the foreign country, and they do, it gets counted as if he is some high paying American owned supplier. Some subpart and assemblies get counted as domestic. This is how in the bigger picture it can be claimed the US still has manufacturing. But where are the formerly high paying manufacturing jobs? they've been lost."[/b]

Right.Everyone knows that Toyota has a plant in Ky.They have several suppliers that have built plants here to supply Toyota.These plants are foreign and would not be here if Toyota didnt want their parts.

The same also applies to Honda.There is a gear factory not far from where I live that was built here in the US to supply transmission gears for Honda.

I think that it is safe to say that American workers/companies can make parts that are as good as if not better than these foreign counterparts but Toyota/Honda etc. want their own suppliers.

I think what's interesting to note here is that 2 Toyotas and the Honda Accord have more NA content than the Cadillac DTS, the Buick Lucerne, and the Lincoln TownCar.

And, aren't these 3 "American" luxury cars going to be discontinued now or in the very near future ?

Why leave out Mexico? It is mostly in North America.

Actually, Mexico is entirely in North America. As are the so-called "Central American" countries.

Here we go again with the domestic vs import comparison again. Who cares, I will buy from who will give me the best value for my money regardless of make or origin. By the way, the plant that I work at supplies around 60% to the domestic compainies and 40% to the imports. So the import plants and makes are just as important to the survival of my workplace as the domestic makes.

I guess Dodge's "Imported From Detroit" ads have a lot of truth to them...........

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
By the way, the plant that I work at supplies around 60% to the domestic compainies and 40% to the imports. So the import plants and makes are just as important to the survival of my workplace as the domestic makes.

Or you could just supply the same or probably more volume of parts 100% to the domestic companies. I agree that import plants here are better than just imported complete cars, but even those plants still did not create market. They just took a share of the already existing domestic market. And if they bring their own suppliers, existing US suppliers volume goes down. Good jobs were replaced with not so good and sometimes temporary jobs at the foreign owned and ran plants and suppliers. If a someone doesn't care, then fine. Just don't try to tell us there wasn't an economic hit and loss of good jobs.

If folks think they can do it better than any supplier, foreign or domestic, get some investors and build your own parts plants and supply the parts.

If you can make it better and cheaper than any existing supplier, you'll get the work.

If you don't like what someone is doing, either don't buy their product or offer them an alternative that works better and for less cost.

Looks like North American parts content has definitely gone lower in just the past several years. My 2002 Ranger has 90% North American parts content...the other 10% being the French transmission and a handful of smaller components.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Looks like North American parts content has definitely gone lower in just the past several years. My 2002 Ranger has 90% North American parts content...the other 10% being the French transmission and a handful of smaller components.

I wouldn't really complain if the other components came from France, Germany, UK, etc. That French Tranny is a great one too, love it in the Mustang.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
By the way, the plant that I work at supplies around 60% to the domestic compainies and 40% to the imports. So the import plants and makes are just as important to the survival of my workplace as the domestic makes.

Or you could just supply the same or probably more volume of parts 100% to the domestic companies. I agree that import plants here are better than just imported complete cars, but even those plants still did not create market. They just took a share of the already existing domestic market. And if they bring their own suppliers, existing US suppliers volume goes down. Good jobs were replaced with not so good and sometimes temporary jobs at the foreign owned and ran plants and suppliers. If a someone doesn't care, then fine. Just don't try to tell us there wasn't an economic hit and loss of good jobs.

Again, I do not know about the Toyota and Honday plants in the US but up here they pay an excellent wage and the employees are treated very well. The facility I work at depends on the import brands just as much as the domestic brands for our survival. So this petty arguement that foreign plants do not put as much into our economy and community is false and total scare mongering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back