Top Domestic Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Why is Canada considered to be part of the United States when it comes to car manufacturing? I'd like a list of the US parts in cars, not the US and one other selected foreign country. Why leave out Mexico? It is mostly in North America.

The Canadian-American auto industry has been integrated for nearly forever (through the autopact) that is why.

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%E2%80%93United_States_Automotive_Products_Agreement

Last edited:
The reason I leave out Mexico is because it is possible to treat the environment carelessly and pay extremely cheap wages to employees, unlike the USA or Canada.

That is also why I like stuff that is made in Japan, Korea, or Western Europe.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
By the way, the plant that I work at supplies around 60% to the domestic compainies and 40% to the imports. So the import plants and makes are just as important to the survival of my workplace as the domestic makes.

Or you could just supply the same or probably more volume of parts 100% to the domestic companies. I agree that import plants here are better than just imported complete cars, but even those plants still did not create market. They just took a share of the already existing domestic market. And if they bring their own suppliers, existing US suppliers volume goes down. Good jobs were replaced with not so good and sometimes temporary jobs at the foreign owned and ran plants and suppliers. If a someone doesn't care, then fine. Just don't try to tell us there wasn't an economic hit and loss of good jobs.

Again, I do not know about the Toyota and Honday plants in the US but up here they pay an excellent wage and the employees are treated very well. The facility I work at depends on the import brands just as much as the domestic brands for our survival. So this petty arguement that foreign plants do not put as much into our economy and community is false and total scare mongering.

This may be true at the place you work, but import transplants do bring their own parts suppliers here for some of their major components, and it is ridiculous (disclaimer: IMO) to consider an import transplant as American as a domestic manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: kelpie

This may be true at the place you work, but import transplants do bring their own parts suppliers here for some of their major components, and it is ridiculous (disclaimer: IMO) to consider an import transplant as American as a domestic manufacturer.

But then how about a "domestic manufacturer" like oh say GM that builds engines in China?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine#LNJ

Last edited:
Yes,

I decided on a 2011 Mazda6 over the Ford Fusion due to the Mazda6 being assembled in Flat Rock, Michigan in a Ford plant. It also had double the domestic content than the Mexican built Ford Fusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back