Average Vehicle age now 12.6 years old

I wonder what Cuba’s average car age is. Is America heading there? Once cheap money ends, expensive cars won’t sell. I sure hope that means manufacturers will offer simple economy cars.
Although Cuba is a poor country, there are newer cars there. Apparently there are 60,000 pre-60’s classic cars and there are a total of 700,000 vehicles in the country. The old American cars still exist mostly in the tourist districts. I was there a couple of times and recall the modern French Peugeot taxis. I would agree though that practically nothing gets junked unless it’s absolutely wrecked, so the average age must be 20 years or more. There is not much data out there. There are only something like 67 cars per 1,000 people.

B4528B17-6FF5-4A3B-9361-B3F81F3758BC.jpeg

Last edited:
I just wish someone would fix the stupid rules that keep us from having regular cab trucks with eight foot beds and true compacts like the Hilux.
I don’t think there is a rule against RCLB’s. Other than maybe having to pass emissions and /or crash separately from CCSB, due to being different. Believe that comes down to sales, mo money to be had in four door truck.

What I bemoan is the small cars Europe can have. Small station wagons anyone? gone for the same reason.

I don’t think there is a rule against RCLB’s. Other than maybe having to pass emissions and /or crash separately from CCSB, due to being different. Believe that comes down to sales, mo money to be had in four door truck.

What I bemoan is the small cars Europe can have. Small station wagons anyone? gone for the same reason.
To be honest, the USA ( and Canada) are losing out on efficiency issues especially with the electric EV trucks with huge battery packs hauling one person around. The result is a long slow chipping away of GDP. Less production for every dollar spent. It also feeds inflation.

To be honest, the USA ( and Canada) are losing out on efficiency issues especially with the electric EV trucks with huge battery packs hauling one person around. The result is a long slow chipping away of GDP. Less production for every dollar spent. It also feeds inflation.
Not sure what to do with that bit of info (opinion?), I mean, is the solution to push people into cities so as to ride public transportation and thus get more people moved per unit of energy?

Or are you bemoaning about how we're being pushed into electric vehicles, which are ever so larger in order to get the perceived required range? thus simply raising the cost to any given consumer. Given how many are so quick to sign the line for a $$$$ pickup that is ICE I'm not sure on that--but you might have a point, while at the moment I'd be just fine with a $20k small station wagon, I don't have the option. To meet my perceived needs and wants, I would be looking at more like $40k and up (EV or ICE).

Not sure what to do with that bit of info (opinion?), I mean, is the solution to push people into cities so as to ride public transportation and thus get more people moved per unit of energy?

Or are you bemoaning about how we're being pushed into electric vehicles, which are ever so larger in order to get the perceived required range? thus simply raising the cost to any given consumer. Given how many are so quick to sign the line for a $$$$ pickup that is ICE I'm not sure on that--but you might have a point, while at the moment I'd be just fine with a $20k small station wagon, I don't have the option. To meet my perceived needs and wants, I would be looking at more like $40k and up (EV or ICE).
Well, 80% of Americans live in cites already, so no, that wouldn’t be much of a prize. Freedom of choice is important as well. America was built on the premise of wide open spaces, but consumers are feeling the pinch of inflation. Most of the EV trucks will be leases or 6 year loans. In the end it really doesn’t add anything to productivity. Sure a EV truck is cheaper than a IC truck to fuel but the capital cost ruins that. That smaller station wagon or smaller service van can make a lot of sense.

You totally missed the point. You can use my example with GM (although the square bodies will have support for a long time yet) or Dodge.

Look at what you gain from an '85 Chevy or Dodge to a '97 Chevy or Dodge.

Now, with that in mind, what do you gain from a 2024 Chevy or Dodge that is markedly improved over a 2012 Chevy or Dodge? A bigger nav screen maybe? I suppose LED packages are nice on today's stuff (I like it on my '19 Wrangler).

Also: nothing against people who want or own brand new vehicles. I'm just saying most of our automotive "advancements" are small nuances these days.
Well my 2024 is markedly improved over a similar 12 3/4 ton gasser. It is better than my 17 1 ton by far. Brakes, power, transmission, ride quality, functionality. Having said that I loved the 17 and wish I still had it. Everything else is 9 years older or older and paid for.

Well, 80% of Americans live in cites already, so no, that wouldn’t be much of a prize. Freedom of choice is important as well. America was built on the premise of wide open spaces, but consumers are feeling the pinch of inflation. Most of the EV trucks will be leases or 6 year loans. In the end it really doesn’t add anything to productivity. Sure a EV truck is cheaper than a IC truck to fuel but the capital cost ruins that. That smaller station wagon or smaller service van can make a lot of sense.
80%? seems high? guess it depends on how you define a city, population density or simply in name.

I can't speak much about it, as I live in what I consider a "big" town now, it's like population 6k and has a traffic light. I consider it a commuter area, and think most are driving 20+ miles to work, but that's more of a guess--I know I certainly drive more than 20 miles.

Interesting that there was a BITOG thread started May 15 last year - "Average US vehicle age now 12.5 years".

So in one year the average age went up by 1 month. The avg is 12.6 years, but what is the standard deviation?

Are there a lot of 20 year old cars on the road, to balance out the number of 2 year old cars?

I have four Chrysler 300m's (2001 to 2004) and a 2001 Dodge Ram (46k miles) but only 2 are on the road at any one time. I buy engine and suspension parts from Rock Auto for ridiculously low prices. My 300m (3.5L) gets 28 to 30 mpg on the highway. Not bad for a 20 yo car.

The average age of the cars in my driveway is 14. The newest one is my 2017 truck and it only has 45k miles.

I wonder what’s the average mileage of cars on the road?

Here is some data for Europe.

View attachment 221717
One thing learned from this is Greece is in the recovery mode. They were in dire straits. One solution was to tighten their belts. “ Look, you can’t buy a new service van when your clients are next to broke”. So, up goes the average age. Up here in Canada it’s ridiculous that plumbers and builders have contests to see who has the big dog trucks.

Well my 2024 is markedly improved over a similar 12 3/4 ton gasser. It is better than my 17 1 ton by far. Brakes, power, transmission, ride quality, functionality. Having said that I loved the 17 and wish I still had it. Everything else is 9 years older or older and paid for.
I absolutely agree but I think the study (or article, or editorial) which inspired the creation of the thread might relate to economics (and even somethingnomics we dare not talk about, but worry not because it's "transitory")

Consumers today with somethingnomics might be more inclined to hang on to a 12-yr old vehicle that's paid for rather than assume payments on a 2024.

Now, if one can afford a new truck, by all means -- go for it! If it's an insurance situation with a totaled vehicle, nothing you can do. And finally if people want to take on hefty payments, I'm not their financial advisor.

But when the benefits of a 2024 MY are weighed against payments, consumers today might be more inclined to tolerate slightly less comfort and power from their existing truck.

According to AI results from Google, a $70k truck with no money down and 6% interest is $1350/mo. Edit: 5 year term. Holy cow!! That said I have no idea if you can obtain a loan like that with zero down, and I don't know if 6% is unreasonably high. I've never financed a vehicle in my life.

I absolutely agree but I think the study (or article, or editorial) which inspired the creation of the thread might relate to economics (and even somethingnomics we dare not talk about, but worry not because it's "transitory")

Consumers today with somethingnomics might be more inclined to hang on to a 12-yr old vehicle that's paid for rather than assume payments on a 2024.

Now, if one can afford a new truck, by all means -- go for it! If it's an insurance situation with a totaled vehicle, nothing you can do. And finally if people want to take on hefty payments, I'm not their financial advisor.

But when the benefits of a 2024 MY are weighed against payments, consumers today might be more inclined to tolerate slightly less comfort and power from their existing truck.

According to AI results from Google, a $70k truck with no money down and 6% interest is $1350/mo. Edit: 5 year term. Holy cow!! That said I have no idea if you can obtain a loan like that with zero down, and I don't know if 6% is unreasonably high. I've never financed a vehicle in my life.
The big check that came with total certainly lessened the sting of buying a 62,000 dollar vehicle. I wound never had paid that if it were not for the accident.

Although Cuba is a poor country, there are newer cars there. Apparently there are 60,000 pre-60’s classic cars and there are a total of 700,000 vehicles in the country. The old American cars still exist mostly in the tourist districts. I was there a couple of times and recall the modern French Peugeot taxis. I would agree though that practically nothing gets junked unless it’s absolutely wrecked, so the average age must be 20 years or more. There is not much data out there. There are only something like 67 cars per 1,000 people.

View attachment 221716
The old American cars have been retrofitted with a smorgasbord of foreign parts in Cuba.

Last edited:
Back