Average US vehicle age now 12.5 years

my fleet of 3 averages 15.66 years old but thats because I have a 1995 F150. If I remove that since I dont really drive it we go to 9.5 years average. I have no desire for a newer vehicle. My wife likes her car. I want my wife's car though and she wants something bigger.

Yeah, just that easy... :rolleyes:

Elect the right idiots. I Mean for real though, can there not be a rhing that is better than salt?

In NE Wyoming they use dirt andlittle rocks.

But with modern tech, can there not be a thing that does the job and not destroycars?

Probably but the car companies would not want that.

To prove the Go Green agenda is BS, mandate the car companies to make a vehicle that has to last 20 years. Never happen.

These are the same folks who believe in natural selection.
?

Elect the right idiots. I Mean for real though, can there not be a rhing that is better than salt?

In NE Wyoming they use dirt andlittle rocks.
Rocks do damage too, my cars usually seem to need a windshield every few years. [My VW was horrible, it needed one every 2. Soft glass.]

Beats me how we got here, with such heavy salt usage. Probably from people who wanted roads to be cleaned sooner than later.

It sure will be fun attempting to keep up older cars..... even a few years old now.
DUMMY here. Drive 15 mi to Honda Stealership to purchase a new PCV valve for a 2018 car. "So sorry, we have no PCV valves in stock! You want to order?" Duh! "Of course I have no choice. Yes I want to order!" Zero auto parts stores within 15 mi has them is stock!" Guess China has them all on a boat someplace.

It sure will be fun attempting to keep up older cars..... even a few years old now.
DUMMY here. Drive 15 mi to Honda Stealership to purchase a new PCV valve for a 2018 car. "So sorry, we have no PCV valves in stock! You want to order?" Duh! "Of course I have no choice. Yes I want to order!" Zero auto parts stores within 15 mi has them is stock!" Guess China has them all on a boat someplace.
The only part I remember buying in an actual retail store in the last 20 years is a tail light bulb that was burnt out. I have spares now. Order everything online - most of it OEM from online dealers.

you think that's bad? Ford doesn't even have f-150 parts past 6-7 years beyond the model year! I mean they are discontinued, not even available! And yes that's crazy there isn't even aftermarket available in your area.. I got used to ordering Honda parts for my 96 and waiting til the next day or more. But I know what you mean that they used the last *health thing we cannot mention here* as an excuse to not stock anything in stores, it's only now that the stores are attempting to have anything extra in stock!

you think that's bad? Ford doesn't even have f-150 parts past 6-7 years beyond the model year!

It's amazing how many Big 3 fans don't realize this. I've heard this for 10+ years (no experience, I don't buy Fords/GM/Fiat), but I don't understand how people can continue to support companies that operate like this.

that's a load of bull. "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires manufacturers to provide parts for at least 10 years after a vehicle is discontinued." i see that all the time on bitgo and many forums, people just talk and have no idea what they are talking about.

that's a load of bull. "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires manufacturers to provide parts for at least 10 years after a vehicle is discontinued." i see that all the time on bitgo and many forums, people just talk and have no idea what they are talking about.
No that’s not correct. If so please point me to it. People assume this but there is no such law.

All they have to do is retain parts for in warranty. Even then if there short they can simply retain those parts for themselves and not sell them for anything else.

No that’s not correct. If so please point me to it. People assume this but there is no such law.

All they have to do is retain parts for in warranty. Even then if there short they can simply retain those parts for themselves and not sell them for anything else.
so after an little more research it is during warranty, so whatever is the longest warranty they offer (ie 10 year) they are required to provide parts. I have a warranty out to 2026 on my 2018 and the last year of production was 20, so ford effectively has to have parts out to 2028, at least.

22.6 is our average.. ouch. Keeping this old stuff running tends to take a lot of time. We don't drive enough which is probably harder on them.

We have a 2006 (daily driver), 2007 (garage queen), 2011 (daily driver). So we’re in the club…

?

Rocks do damage too, my cars usually seem to need a windshield every few years. [My VW was horrible, it needed one every 2. Soft glass.]

Beats me how we got here, with such heavy salt usage. Probably from people who wanted roads to be cleaned sooner than later.
@tbm5690 said:
I agree, the issue though is people that can barely drive when the roads are warm and dry let alone in inclement weather.

So what I mean by my ''natural selection" comment is some what complicated........it will seem a bit harsh, but true as i see it.

The same people noted above, that cant seemingly drive on a clear summers day, in the slow lane, without rear ending someone, are a problem. Many of these same people, if not most, believe in natural selection, a process where the most fit and suitable to their environment evolve for one thing to the next, over a period of time. These same people chant "defund" the police, while at the same time, entrust in ONLY police and military with their safety and security. These same people, put forward an idea of equality and enviromentally friendly energy, but order 1 single pen from Amazon, delivered to their door.

The irony in this ''natural selection" comment, is if in fact this is the case, the above noted people are going to have a hard time in the selection process.

Salt on the roads is dumb, and there ought to be a way to suit the needs, while not destroying vehicles is my point. Let figure that one out before we figure out how to go to Mars or figure out the origin of the universe, or whatever.

so after an little more research it is during warranty, so whatever is the longest warranty they offer (ie 10 year) they are required to provide parts. I have a warranty out to 2026 on my 2018 and the last year of production was 20, so ford effectively has to have parts out to 2028, at least.
Yes but they’re under no obligation to sell them retail - just honor their own warranty. They can hoard scarce parts if they need to so if you don’t have an extended warranty they may not be available to you.

Back