USA Today: Average age of vehicles hits all-time high

wemay

Site Donor 2023
traded my great enhanced 2001 jetta 1.8T at 200 thou for something different just because, no rust + ran great, replaced with another 1.8T this time in an audi TT 225Q roadster. its no wonder with overpricing + high repair cost when warranty ends due to very complex systems used today. anything older not rusting out is a keeper IMO, of course some have lots of $$$$ + you see many $$$$$ 4 dr tanks aka 4wd pickups rarely used as a truck, its your $$$$ so spend if you got it to support big dollar dealers the average jo like myself can never afford!!

Today, if you intend on owning an ICE for 10 yrs you must be prepared to essentially get nothing for it when you want to sell because the cost of gasoline is going to be astronomical.

Imagine that! Do the math. “Cash for Clunkers” was in 2009. I guess some whiz in DC will try it again.
I think you need to stop that already. It is 12 years ago and a lot of the crushed cars were genuine clunkers (Caravan? Gen3/4 Taurus? Explorers? Sebring?) with slipping transmission and head gasket leaks that barely pass the test. Our overall vehicles reliability in the whole world (we are not the only one doing C4C, the whole Europe is) got much better as a result, as do mpg.

What is more amusing is the age distribution, it’s far worse than the article alludes to considering our policy to export all the mid range used cars over seas

More like the importing nations' policy. For example Mongolia has no tax on hybrid vehicles so most used hybrids were sent there, Mexico has no tax on vehicles with exactly 10 years of age (not more not less) so exactly 10 years vehicle got sent there.

They also don't cost $2k to replace a bumper matching your paint color, or $100-200 per hour mechanics time. So might as well sell the "not worth repairing here" cars there.

If the price of gas goes thru the roof, you can bet the power companies are going to take advantage of it. How much do you think it will cost to charge up that electric vehicle?. You'll have time to figure it out, while waiting for what seems an eternity for it to charge up enough to get you to the next charging station. And you can be sure replacement batteries will be as cheap as a oil change .,,,

Borrowing my parents 2000 Toyota Tundra 4wd to move some sand for backyard pool.....Their new car is a 2001 Forester! Parents about 80 barely drive this because of the high step in/out.

1623700973180.jpeg

Today, if you intend on owning an ICE for 10 yrs you must be prepared to essentially get nothing for it when you want to sell because the cost of gasoline is going to be astronomical.
I concur! The only constant is change! Nano tech should transform EV distance woes.

If the price of gas goes thru the roof, you can bet the power companies are going to take advantage of it.
What do you mean? If their cost of fuel goes up, then of course they have to pass the buck along.

Parents about 80 barely drive this because of the high step in/out.
Can you add running boards? I found my tall Tundra easy to get in and out of, easier than my CRV--I could step on the running board, grab the hand-hold next to the door, and swing in very easily.

Back