Average US vehicle age now 12.5 years

Well, I guess us OCD maintenance freaks aren't the only ones getting all the life out of their vehicles:

"284 million vehicles in operation (VIO) on US roads, the average age of cars and light trucks in the US has risen again this year to a new record of 12.5 years, up by more than three months over 2022"

Also of note "In addition, the continued rise of light trucks/utilities means the number of passenger cars on the road will fall beneath 100 million for the first time since 1978."

Full article for those interested with some good charts. Probably best to select only neccessary cookies. https://www.spglobal.com/mobility/en/research-analysis/average-age-of-light-vehicles-in-the-us-hits-record-high.html#:~:text=With more than 284 million,analysis from S&P Global Mobility.

In the FWIW column, in the last couple years our economy has gone thru things that have absolutely no precedent and none of it has been good. The route that I normally go to & from work, there is this several acre paved lot and little used warehouse visible from the street (highway), and they are gone now, but, a year or so ago, there were acres of new Ford trucks just sitting there; I heard that they were completely assembled and ready for sale, except they were lacking some computer chips and were unsellable in that condition....
And I don't own anything newer than 2005 for a vehicle; furthermore, for purposes of paid travel necessary for my job, I've driven newer rental vehicles, and I want nothing to do with owning anything like them. When they get older and start having sensors fail, you're not going to need a mechanic; you're going to need a computer scientist to troubleshoot at $300 hr.

In the FWIW column, in the last couple years our economy has gone thru things that have absolutely no precedent and none of it has been good. The route that I normally go to & from work, there is this several acre paved lot and little used warehouse visible from the street (highway), and they are gone now, but, a year or so ago, there were acres of new Ford trucks just sitting there; I heard that they were completely assembled and ready for sale, except they were lacking some computer chips and were unsellable in that condition....
And I don't own anything newer than 2005 for a vehicle; furthermore, for purposes of paid travel necessary for my job, I've driven newer rental vehicles, and I want nothing to do with owning anything like them. When they get older and start having sensors fail, you're not going to need a mechanic; you're going to need a computer scientist to troubleshoot at $300 hr.
IC's have been in cars since the 70's. Computers are much easier to troubleshoot than carburetors and points usually - just different.

a15e3bec9fa9f58c822db46ce9cb83a5c6924080.gif

Yep-new tech phobia on here is rampant. Many newer vehicles are better than whatever you are driving from 2005.

Hmm, I have 2002, 2004, 2010, 2012, and 2018 MY vehicles in my drive right now.
Puts me at 13.8 year average (was 15 year average last week, but had a 2002 vehicle totaled recently).
If I add the 2 other vehicles I service (2010 and 2018 MY vehicles) it puts me right at a 12.43 year average age.

I see the 2018's (Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Soul) being the first one out of service due to the number of electronics on them (especially the Santa Fe).
They both have integrated touch screens, and the Santa Fe has parking sensors, cruise and lane sensors, auto headlights that self adjust, and several other integrated electronics.
In 10 years from now, if the computer goes out, good luck finding a replacement.
It will slowly loose features till it gets to a point it is no longer driveable.

My 2002 F150 still has pretty much all replacement parts available, many still OEM.
Only thing I can't find for it that it needs is the OEM drivers seat heating element.
Plus most of the electronics on it are relativly simple and most can be worked on (I resolderd my ABS control module a few years ago, need to resolder the intermittent odometer connections at some point)

Last edited:
Its cheaper to keep her.......
Most times.
However, sometimes you have one that is troublesome and costs more to keep her. If she lets you down and cannot be trusted, it's cheaper to let her go.
I've had the experience in both arenas. While it may hurt to let her go, in the long run, you see that you are better off without one that is untrustworthy.

Well, I guess us OCD maintenance freaks aren't the only ones getting all the life out of their vehicles:

"284 million vehicles in operation (VIO) on US roads, the average age of cars and light trucks in the US has risen again this year to a new record of 12.5 years, up by more than three months over 2022"

Also of note "In addition, the continued rise of light trucks/utilities means the number of passenger cars on the road will fall beneath 100 million for the first time since 1978."

Full article for those interested with some good charts. Probably best to select only neccessary cookies. https://www.spglobal.com/mobility/en/research-analysis/average-age-of-light-vehicles-in-the-us-hits-record-high.html#:~:text=With more than 284 million,analysis from S&P Global Mobility.
Auto part stores and related chemical companies like PB Blaster are making record profits from people keeping their vehicles longer

Back