Average age for a car on the road equals average age for an EV battery to fail

I believe the average age for a car on the road these days is around 12 years old. Also, I believe the average age at which modern EV batteries will get bad enough to become nonfunctional is 10-12 years.

So what does an EV future look like? A lot of cars with failed batteries that are too expensive to repair, I'm afraid. You won't be able to buy a 15-year-old well-designed auto and keep it running great for another decade with good maintenance. I think this is a big "paradigm shift" that people aren't ready for.

Meanwhile my 20 year old Chevy and 21 year old Toyota are still driving with the original engines and transmissions. I would love to see one of them $20k battery packs in them electric cars last that long, not going to happen.

Unless they get the battery technology a lot better and a lot cheaper the future of EV's look like expensive repairs for consumers. But I do believe one day they will get the technology good and electric cars are the future. But hell I might still be driving my 20 year old Chevy and 21 year old Toyota another 20 years down the road if gas remains available.

Meanwhile my 20 year old Chevy and 21 year old Toyota are still driving with the original engines and transmissions. I would love to see one of them $20k battery packs in them electric cars last that long, not going to happen.

Unless they get the battery technology a lot better and a lot cheaper the future of EV's look like expensive repairs for consumers. But I do believe one day they will get the technology good and electric cars are the future. But hell I might still be driving my 20 year old Chevy and 21 year old Toyota another 20 years down the road if gas remains available.
Gas will remain available. But it’ll get more expensive to discourage usage of it. Even though it should actually get cheaper as demand went down but we all know that’s not gonna happen.

I test drove a Tesla model 3 and I was not impressed. I liked the acceleration from a stop, but that was about it. The seats are horrible. The overall quality of the interior is cheap/flimsy. I can’t imagine how the car battery would be after 10-years but I don’t want to be the guinea pig.

I believe the average age for a car on the road these days is around 12 years old. Also, I believe the average age at which modern EV batteries will get bad enough to become nonfunctional is 10-12 years.

So what does an EV future look like? A lot of cars with failed batteries that are too expensive to repair, I'm afraid. You won't be able to buy a 15-year-old well-designed auto and keep it running great for another decade with good maintenance. I think this is a big "paradigm shift" that people aren't ready for.
I believe in a lot of things and know a lot less. It's hard to say what will happen with EV batteries. Perhaps on some models it'll be plug-n-play from a donor vehicle or there will be an aftermarket solution.

Do you have the data showing EV batteries will last 10-12 years?
If someone wants an EV, I do believe they should get the best battery they can. For example, the early Leaf batteries proved to be pretty bad.

When I was a kid, my dad had to go out of his way to get leaded gas for his 64' Pontiac Grand Prix 389. One station in Toledo sold the non racing leaded gas.

What does "bad enough" mean? I know any product I own with a battery, like my cell phone is great when new but that capacity doesn't seem to be as stout a year in. I don't own and EV but have heard from owners the range is similar to EPA ratings...not always up to that higher mark advertised.

I wouls think the battery of an EV or hybrid is also susceptible to the games Apple was caught playing with updates. Software intended to decrease battery performance to induce a new purchase.

Well as long as you "believe" the lifespan of the EVs battery to be that it must be true.

Solid science.

It would be interesting to see average age on the road by area/zip code.

I rarely see cars over 12 years old in my area, most are in the 1-6 years old range.
There's some young cars in your area. I do see a decent amount of 15 year old cars here, but the average is probably around 8. There's still plenty of new cars here, but it's not the most affluent area. Heck, I have a neighbor with a 2015 Tesla Model S 70D.

What does "bad enough" mean? I know any product I own with a battery, like my cell phone is great when new but that capacity doesn't seem to be as stout a year in. I don't own and EV but have heard from owners the range is similar to EPA ratings...not always up to that higher mark advertised.

I wouls think the battery of an EV or hybrid is also susceptible to the games Apple was caught playing with updates. Software intended to decrease battery performance to induce a new purchase.
On the cars I'm somewhat familiar with, typically a bad cell or two results in a lower voltage than the rest of the battery. The car senses this difference in voltage and throws an error code and refuses to charge the battery.

Eh, I guess we'll see, once the market is there for replacing battery packs, I imagine it will get cheaper. Also odds are batteries will be getting cheaper per kwh as well.
Its probably a good reason to buy a Tesla Model Y or 3, if you keep cars for a long time, as the Y is soon going to be the most popular vehicle sold world wide. So even if Tesla wants to gouge you for battery replacements 10 years from now, with millions sold, someone will fill the gap for reasonable priced battery replacements. For 2023 Tesla is projected to sell about 2M in total Model Y's and 3's.
Pretty soon, you might have better luck with servicing an electric car in the future, compared to a relatively rare gas car.

In theory, electric vehicles should be easier to keep on the road in the future, if we get some decent right to repair legislation passed.

Correct, on both points. Prior to the boondoggle cash-for-clunkers which sent a lot of serviceable but somewhat inefficient ICE to early graves, along with all those spare parts, the average auto age was much higher I believe. It was a boondoggle as bad for the environment (terminating lifecycles prematurely representing resources going to landfills), and the taxpayers who are still paying for it, along with all the scams. Nevertheless, for an "average" of 12 years, there needs to be a lot of 20 year cars, some 25, and even 30 year old cars on the road. "12 years" is the bell curve peak. My vehicles are about 20 years old. I tend to see mostly 10-15 year old cars as the peak of the bell curve, however I do see some 30-40 year old vehicles and some new ones too.

Correct inasmuch as the articles I have read credibly state a owner can expect around 10-15 years on a battery, and replacements cost around $10-$20k. Further it is widely reported that EV repair costs are extraordinarily complex and high. So for anyone experienced in auto ownership, there comes a time when the vehicle is "totaled" due to high repair costs. Using the same bell curve, assuming EVs go to "early" graves around year 15, then naturally that bell curve peak for EVs will be around 6-7 years as the average EV age. This all, of course, could change with radical improvements in battery life and lowered size and costs. That will probably improve in the next decades.

Do you have the data showing EV batteries will last 10-12 years?
Yes, a number of tech oriented articles seemingly with high credibility.

But more important: With decades of life experiences, seeing thru corporate over-promises, living thru numerous financial collapses and tech bubbles bursting (almost universally the common theme is deception and fraud), and using a myriad of batteries in my lifetime that rarely life up to the projections, I believe my life experiences over some tech company illusory promises.

Simple hand tool lithium batteries are a great example. I have a Dewalt drill from probably 10-20 years ago. Both battery packs are shot. One is completely dead and the other very weak. Dewalt redesigned the battery fitment, to frustrate consumers. It's cost prohibitive to try to source a new "old design" battery, so I have a drill that is near useless and less expensive to replace, than get a new battery for. Meanwhile, I have my original corded Sears drill from 1992 that works perfectly, and a collection of garage sale corded drills that are 30-40-50 years old that work just as good as new.

Cellular phones and laptops are another example. These batteries never meet expectations, batteries get redesigned so they no longer fit, and the product then becomes disposable. That is the purposeful designed obsolescence of these EVs that people are foolishly demanding and transitioning to. Around year 10 - 15 these become too expensive to repair so they are disposed of in favor of new and better...

In other words:
519e34b31999776b87dc5939bead9e89.jpg

Back