VW to integrate ChatGpt into vehicles by mid year.

I bought my 2017 VW GTI for other reasons, didn't even know what Apple Car Play was but I have found it very useful, particularly interfacing with Waze on the cell phone for directions: a GPS map shows up on the car's screen. Also great for music selection. The car also has voice commands but I never use that.

I bet a good portion of people poo-pooing this are sitting next to an Alexa device 🤣
Personally, working in tech, I have voice commands on everything turned off. Siri is unfortunately necessary for CarPlay, so I have it set to require a button push before it listens.

I was reminded about how invasive this crap is over the weekend. Was at my parent's place, who have an Amazon device to show who is at their door (they have the Ring doorbell) and I was enthusiastically describing the "claymore Roomba" home invader clip where there's an Alexa "home invader" command which calls for the lighting to change, the playing of "Welcome to the jungle" and the deployment of the claymore Roomba.

Well, after I've described this, after I'm through it, I realize there is music being played from this device. It's "Welcome to the jungle". 😬 Nope nope nope nope nope.
Vehicle voice control has been around for years, and it has been trash for years because it doesn’t have the smarts to really understand the full variety of human language. This will change that.
I've found Siri works just fine, and, I have to press a button on the wheel to activate it, as desired, rather than it always listening.
Imagine a CEL that reads you the code and tells you what’s wrong.
We've had the ability for cars to give us detailed information about what is wrong, on a variety of screens, forever. Manufacturers choose to not provide us with those details so that we visit the dealer. That isn't about to change.
Imagine a backup camera that recognizes children, animals, and other objects and warns you.
If you can't recognize those objects by yourself, you shouldn't be behind the wheel, lol.
Imagine adding a waypoint to your navigation by just saying “I am hungry.” Imagine navigation that knows when you’ll need fuel and the cheapest place to get it, and builds that into your routing.
Tesla already does that, as does Apple CarPlay with its charging routing. CarPlay 2.0 will be able to interface with climate control and get information about things like fuel level, to advise accordingly. Siri, through CarPlay, responds to a huge list of commands already.

We've had all of these functions before AI.
I guarantee all of us are going to be more heavily using AI in 5 years, perhaps without even fully realizing it.
And that's the scary part. It will get rolled into stuff without the end user knowing.

I bet a good portion of people poo-pooing this are sitting next to an Alexa device 🤣

Vehicle voice control has been around for years, and it has been trash for years because it doesn’t have the smarts to really understand the full variety of human language. This will change that.

Imagine a CEL that reads you the code and tells you what’s wrong. Imagine a backup camera that recognizes children, animals, and other objects and warns you. Imagine adding a waypoint to your navigation by just saying “I am hungry.” Imagine navigation that knows when you’ll need fuel and the cheapest place to get it, and builds that into your routing.

I guarantee all of us are going to be more heavily using AI in 5 years, perhaps without even fully realizing it.
All of those are already possible, and none of them require AI/ self learning.

Lets face it - this is click bait to get people to buy a VW. People that don't have a clue what AI means. Microsoft - a single company - has a market cap greater than the entire Canadian stock market. VW wants in on the AI stock market gravy train.

I could care less if AI or Alexa or whomever listens to me. I just don't see it adding much value to a daily drive, and wish not to pay for it. If you do, feel free.

My car (and phone) respond to voice commands. It's very handy and safer than fumbling around for buttons or a touch screen. For example, Siri combined with Car Play was very nice to use on a recent vacation to Southern California. It was able to route me to the nearest In-N-Out just by asking, "hey Siri, navigate to In and Out". :giggle:

I've found Siri works just fine, and, I have to press a button on the wheel to activate it, as desired, rather than it always listening.
Siri is AI, fwiw.

We've had the ability for cars to give us detailed information about what is wrong, on a variety of screens, forever. Manufacturers choose to not provide us with those details so that we visit the dealer. That isn't about to change.
Yeah, true… but that doesn’t mean there couldn’t be AI-powered 3rd party tools.

If you can't recognize those objects by yourself, you shouldn't be behind the wheel, lol.
Ehh, you could say the same about backup cameras entirely.

Tesla already does that, as does Apple CarPlay with its charging routing. CarPlay 2.0 will be able to interface with climate control and get information about things like fuel level, to advise accordingly. Siri, through CarPlay, responds to a huge list of commands already.

We've had all of these functions before AI.
That is AI.

And that's the scary part. It will get rolled into stuff without the end user knowing.
I don’t know if it’s scary yet. Gen AI is not as smart as people think. It needs a lot of fine tuning to be good at specific tasks.

All of those are already possible, and none of them require AI/ self learning.
Yes, they do. ML is not new.

Let’s face it - this is click bait to get people to buy a VW. People that don't have a clue what AI means. Microsoft - a single company - has a market cap greater than the entire Canadian stock market. VW wants in on the AI stock market gravy train.
I agree.

I could care less if AI or Alexa or whomever listens to me. I just don't see it adding much value to a daily drive, and wish not to pay for it. If you do, feel free.
I think people are way too constrained in their thinking. I suspect the applications aren’t being fully considered yet.

Yes, they do. ML is not new.
ML is not AI. Its not predictive.

ML just recognizes repetitive patterns and logs the response. When I say a word and Siri gets it wrong, its logged. Over and over. So it "learns" what that word means in my voice by finally getting it right by trial and error. That is simply repetitive iteration - matching two data sets - my voice, and the list of known words. Possibly Siri is implementing more predictive algorithms - I don't know - haven't used it in years.

Its no different than a computer playing chess. It calculates some finite number of possible moves, calculates the probabilities, and "decides".

That is different from say AI pattern matching a 5000 year old written text - to which there is no match on the other side. Or it could be the same for modeling a biotech cure, or a medical set of conditions where there is no "exact" match of symptoms, but some combination leads to a diagnosis that would otherwise have been missed. ie there is no matched set on the other side.
I think people are way too constrained in their thinking. I suspect the applications aren’t being fully considered yet.
I agree with this. I don't think most people even know what AI means. I don't think they will like it in the end, but possibly I am wrong.

Although ChatGPT's performance is great on some aspects, it still has chance of AI hallucination - giving you something you never asked. VW is not known for fine tuning AI, what if the AI "misunderstand" and execute something user not intended to? That will make people angry really quick

Siri is AI, fwiw.
Siri performs some AI-functions, because some parts of it leverage machine learning. I don't consider it a full-blown AI. Apple is looking to bring in on-device AI with the iPhone 16, along with a fully-revamped AI-driven Siri:
Apple's AI-powered Siri assistant could land as soon as WWDC 2024 | TechRadar

I am not overly excited about this, but trust that Apple will continue with the ability to keep it off until commanded via a physical button.
Yeah, true… but that doesn’t mean there couldn’t be AI-powered 3rd party tools.
Sure, but then that's not the manufacturer providing it, which was the point I was making. That's like a fancy Amazon OBD tool, lol. There's no real end user benefit as to whether "Right rear oxygen sensor is out of range and needs replacement" is put on the screen or spoken aloud by an AI. This isn't provided to the end user not because it isn't possible to do so, but rather, because taking it to the dealer to get it fixed is a means of maintaining revenue.
Ehh, you could say the same about backup cameras entirely.
Not really. My backup camera shows me space behind both my truck and my Jeep that I physically cannot see from the driver seat. The trailer hitch on the truck for example, being able to see it with the camera is quite beneficial.
That is AI.
Kind of. While parts of it are machine learning driven, in some tasks, and in some respects, it's not like ChatGPT and other more advanced ML AI models that we are seeing emerge on the scene now. Remember, Siri has been around since 2011 and the Tesla Model S, which had Tesla's voice commands, came out in 2012.
I don’t know if it’s scary yet. Gen AI is not as smart as people think. It needs a lot of fine tuning to be good at specific tasks.
It's the collection of data and the "listening" that I take issue with, not just the fact that it's AI. The more immersed we become in this stuff, the more difficult it is to keep what you want to keep private, private, and part of this banks on folks just hitting "yes" on whatever pops up, not really aware of what is being collected, and when.

Last edited:
Why do YOU really need this in a car?

I totally understand how great powerful computers are and can be. I'm in awe really. I have zero problem with active databases with split second information that could be useful to humans.

But no one has directly answered why this chatgbiptripoff data collection is necessary in a car to get from point A to point B.

The question remains unanswered. Vagaries about health care, world a better place, etc are not solid answers. They are more like beauty contestant answers.
It is a stepping stone, like anything new. There are and will be stumbles, mistakes, etc.
Cars can be information giving machines, warning of traffic jams, accidents, etc in real time. Data could be used to time traffic lights. There are accident notifications to Police and others; this will only improve.

Is it big brother? You betcha, no matter what they tell you. The genie has been out of the bottle for a long time.
Didn't you see that movie with Julia Roberts with the big line of smashed up Model 3 attack cars?

My goodness you are misinformed. Yes, it absolutely is. Siri was created from SRI International Artificial Intelligence Center, itself started from DARPA’s CALO project.
I know, I read Wikipedia as well. In the real world though, neither Siri, Google Assistant, or Alexa are AI. Their lack of flexibility alone prevents them from being recognized as such. However, if you want to think of Siri as AI, I'm not stopping you. As @OVERKILL said above, all that these virtual personal assistants are is glorified listening devices for spying on anyone using them.

ML is not AI. It’s not predictive.
ML is a subset of AI and it absolutely is predictive. ML can perform regression and refine models to predict values. AI has been around for a long time now. You’re conflating AI and modern LLM Gen AI.

AI in general is a broad field and ML is a major mechanism by which modern LLM generative AI works. It’s a complex weaving off many ML models on a spectrum with no fully defined boundaries between “this is just ML” and any other term you want to call it.

ML just recognizes repetitive patterns and logs the response. When I say a word and Siri gets it wrong, it’s logged. Over and over. So it "learns" what that word means in my voice by finally getting it right by trial and error. That is simply repetitive iteration - matching two data sets - my voice, and the list of known words. Possibly Siri is implementing more predictive algorithms - I don't know - haven't used it in years.
You’re describing an ML-based AI here.

That is different from say AI pattern matching a 5000 year old written text - to which there is no match on the other side.
Pattern matching no pattern? You’re imagining things here. AI is not magic. Its basis is in ML.

Or it could be the same for modeling a biotech cure, or a medical set of conditions where there is no "exact" match of symptoms, but some combination leads to a diagnosis that would otherwise have been missed. ie there is no matched set on the other side.
Again, ML forms the fundamental basis to find patterns.

I agree with this. I don't think most people even know what AI means. I don't think they will like it in the end, but possibly I am wrong.
Yep.

I know, I read Wikipedia as well. In the real world though, neither Siri, Google Assistant, or Alexa are AI. Their lack of flexibility alone prevents them from being recognized as such. However, if you want to think of Siri as AI, I'm not stopping you. As @OVERKILL said above, all that these virtual personal assistants are is glorified listening devices for spying on anyone using them.
Define AI.

Back