Average US vehicle age now 12.5 years

Check your info Jeff...
Quote me to me....I said "keep your plastic parts out of my engines." I'm not sure of your mechanical knowledge or abilities, so I'll ask you a question. Where is the the intake manifold? Follow up question: Go anywhere you wish on the internet. Show me one piece of plastic INSIDE a 3800?
Well, the 3.8 in both my 1975 Buick Century and in my 1987 LeSabre had the "plastic" timing set as both jumped time.

Yes, I know it's not the 3800, but yes, even in the 1970s, GM was putting plastic component INSIDE engines. Perhaps looking for slightly better fuel economy and better NVH outcomes.

Well, the 3.8 in both my 1975 Buick Century and in my 1987 LeSabre had the "plastic" timing set as both jumped time.

Yes, I know it's not the 3800, but yes, even in the 1970s, GM was putting plastic component INSIDE engines. Perhaps looking for slightly better fuel economy and better NVH outcomes.
Ford did the same thing with their venerable 4.9l inline 6. They used a fiber / plastic timing gear so it wasn't as noisy, and they often failed with age. Luckily it was not an interference engine so the solution was a tow to the shop and an aftermarket steel gear.

Back