Intersting Article on Gas Detergent Quanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'm surprised they didnt test Chevron and Mobil,two of the brands that hyped the heck out of detergency for 30 years now.(remember the Mobil commercial with the live image of sloshing fuel in a clear container,claiming it drives your car clean?).

They did test Mobil....ExxonMobil.

i presume Chevron, as a top tier, is up there with shell and exxon on regular and premium fuel.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
So they used a test that determines the level of detergent in gas. And they didn't test how effective that detergent or level of detergent is. How is that a good test?

It's good in that it's doable on a wide range of fuels relatively quickly and cost effectively.

$10k scan to determine the molecular structure would limit the scope severely...and besides, they tell us what the limitations of the test are, so it's not junk science.

0.2g/L tops...maybe dyno-tab are onto something.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'm surprised they didnt test Chevron and Mobil,two of the brands that hyped the heck out of detergency for 30 years now.(remember the Mobil commercial with the live image of sloshing fuel in a clear container,claiming it drives your car clean?).

The test was done in Metro Detroit and used samples from local stations. There are no Chevron stations in Michigan.

I actually had to look at Google Maps to find an Exxon station in the area. Lots of Mobil stations here on the East Side, but only one Exxon station.

Based on the usage of Exxon (which are primarily located Downriver and toward the west) and Pilot (of which the only one is located on I-94, outside Ann Arbor), I would be willing to bet that the tests were done by a lab in the Ann Arbor area.

As a coincidence, the EPA's National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory is also located in Ann Arbor.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
What about using MMO....in a non top-tier gasoline?

what benefits, pray-tell, does adding stoddard solvent into gas you hope to get?

better lubricity(no factual evidence)? higher detergency(not proven, only PolyEtherAmines are known/recognised/proven so far)?

I don't think by adding stoddard solvent would you even be able to raise the Octane (ROM+MON divide by 2) at all.

Come to think of it: that budt-dyno effect can be achieved by simply adding a cup full of kerosene into gas tank everytime I fuel up my gas tank. Benefits? I doubt it.

Q.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the placebo "feel good" that you are somehow making it "better", IE "adding value" to your gasoline. Out-thinking the gas company, or somehow bettering a product they MUST be skimping on in some manner to "stick it" to you.
grin.gif

Adding more detergent can help get some deposits out, for example if a car was neglected for some time, or if it was ran in the city without getting up to operating temprature, it would help clean it out.

Personaly, if you cannot find top tier gas near ya, just get some decent fuel from a chain station, dump some Techron concentrate in before you fill, so the gas entering the tank can mix it in, and just have fun.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
What about using MMO....in a non top-tier gasoline?

what benefits, pray-tell, does adding stoddard solvent into gas you hope to get?

better lubricity(no factual evidence)? higher detergency(not proven, only PolyEtherAmines are known/recognised/proven so far)?

I don't think by adding stoddard solvent would you even be able to raise the Octane (ROM+MON divide by 2) at all.

Come to think of it: that budt-dyno effect can be achieved by simply adding a cup full of kerosene into gas tank everytime I fuel up my gas tank. Benefits? I doubt it.

Q.

Agreed 100% I'm a born skeptic, but I've tried numerous products just to see if there was more than what could be considered placebo, and every time the "benefits" were lost in the wash.

I am a big fan of throwing in a nice dose of PEA every so often, usually in the form of a bottle of SI-1

Last edited:
Tell me that study wasn't paid for by a couple oil companies.

As long as you buy gas from a high volume station it will be fine. Doesn't matter what brand it is, or what you pay.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Tell me that study wasn't paid for by a couple oil companies.

As long as you buy gas from a high volume station it will be fine. Doesn't matter what brand it is, or what you pay.

And your basis is what....?

There's plenty of automaker analysis that the EPA standards are too low. Go look at the conferences that automakers have presented at.

All depends on how long you plan to keep your car. Over a 100k miles, it is a problem. Have seen it personally.

The idea of having a national standard that wastes gasoline as gas age and change owners, is simply idiotic when it could easily be prevented for 1-2 cents and the fuel savings over time will easily prevent it. It is a long term build up issue and easily solvable.

No one complains about hardening of the arteries after a cheeseburger until years later, why would they notice this?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I have starting buying gas from top names only. I was always of the opinion that "gas is gas", and wouldn't put a second's thought into which brand I was buying. But I've owned at least one vehicle recently (a 2011 model) that seemed particularly sensitive to the brand of gas. I thought I had a moderate engine ping, and I did, but the fix was buying gas from Exxon or Shell instead of from the very high volume AAFES station.

So at least one part of that article rings true with me: modern cars are (or at least can be) more sensitive to gas quality than older vehicles are. And most people have a good selection of quality fuel available to them, generally with little or no price difference. Heck, the Shell down the street from us is cheaper than the Murphy USA at Walmart.

Before I got my diesel, I'd buy gas from whenever. But when I did my research on my diesel car (before buying) I read plenty about buying fuel from trusted places. Since then, I haven't been interested in buying the "cheapest", just "trusted".

Now, I'm less worried about putting any old gas into the Camry, but if I had my druthers it'd be from a reputable place. False economy to buy the cheapest. [Although, if I had an old beater, carb'd even, I'd buy the cheapest--as it likely wouldn't care nor need.]

Actually, that now reminds me: I oughta this to my wife. I recall hearing lots (ok, relative term here) of reports of Toyota's needing catalyst replacement shortly after 100kmiles. I wonder if running top-quality fuels would put that off for longer. Cats are not cheap these days, and it seems doubtful that one would save enough over 120k (or whatever) to pay for one--and even if one did, it's a bit easier to pay for it, a few cents at a time.

I wonder where Irvings comes in. I usually buy my diesel from there, and often buy gas (on the rare occasions I drive the Camry).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Actually, that now reminds me: I oughta this to my wife. I recall hearing lots (ok, relative term here) of reports of Toyota's needing catalyst replacement shortly after 100kmiles. I wonder if running top-quality fuels would put that off for longer. Cats are not cheap these days, and it seems doubtful that one would save enough over 120k (or whatever) to pay for one--and even if one did, it's a bit easier to pay for it, a few cents at a time.

I wonder where Irvings comes in. I usually buy my diesel from there, and often buy gas (on the rare occasions I drive the Camry).

hearsay?

I have yet to come across a Toyota (in our fleets, incl. 2 corollas 1 matrix and 1 camry) to have suffered from cat problem.

Mind you though: we have to go through exhaust emissions testings every 2 yrs here.

Q.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
All depends on how long you plan to keep your car. Over a 100k miles, it is a problem. Have seen it personally.

Two of my vehicles have well over 100K, and I've always filled up at whatever station is closest when I need fuel-I don't think I've ever filled up with a "top tier" gas. I've also never run anything other than gasoline in the tank. No cleaners, no magical mystery oils, nothing. Both vehicles run perfectly and there are no drivability issues whatsoever. I've never had a check engine light on either vehicle.

Tell me-exactly when should I expect to see these all these problems that magically happen at 100K miles?

Sure shoots down my work vans longevity. I guess my Savana 3500 with 400k miles that works every day is in for a LOT of trouble.

never had anything but Racetrack or Hess because they're cheap, busy, and close by.

I wish they would have tested ARCO. They are typically the least expensive major brand here in CA. I don't really trust the off-brands. I have to run 91 octane in my Nissan 370Z. I typically add a bottle of Techron every 3000 miles or so, and a dose of MMO about every 2000 miles. Never had any problems with injectors on my last car, and Infiniti G35 using the same brand and octane and cleaning regimen, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
I wish they would have tested ARCO. They are typically the least expensive major brand here in CA. I don't really trust the off-brands. I have to run 91 octane in my Nissan 370Z. I typically add a bottle of Techron every 3000 miles or so, and a dose of MMO about every 2000 miles. Never had any problems with injectors on my last car, and Infiniti G35 using the same brand and octane and cleaning regimen, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Arco=BP

Originally Posted By: Quest

hearsay?

I have yet to come across a Toyota (in our fleets, incl. 2 corollas 1 matrix and 1 camry) to have suffered from cat problem.

Mind you though: we have to go through exhaust emissions testings every 2 yrs here.

Q.

Yes, hearsay, as this is my first Toyota: going off what I’ve read from what I’ve considered reputable posters. I do know one coworker who did have to replace a cat on a 8 or so year old Camry; and it wasn’t cheap (CA emissions, car was from MA, so it was well past $1k). I do know I can tell what cars are Toyotas just by the smell on one of the hills to work, if I have the window down.

In your fleet, how many are past 100k? We have yearly OBDII checks here, BTW. Most everyone in my family takes vehicles out well past 100k.

In your fleet, how many are past 100k? We have yearly OBDII checks here, BTW. Most everyone in my family takes vehicles out well past 100k.

Ray's dad's 99 Corolla, when bought, was already @ 225k, currently on 250k on original CAT, still passing tests yearly. Wifey's 04 camry already clocked 136k; sis -in-law's is @185k; the matrix is over 115k (last that I checked approx. 4mnths ago).

All pass emissions testings and are on regular motor oil (5W30), no oil consumption, etc. CATs are all original (except sis-in-law's, pre-cat wideband O2 sensor was intermittent.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back