No sign of Dexos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOG

I picked up some NEW PU in the new yellow bottles, and noticed that there were NO Dexos labels on the bottle anywhere? In comparison, I also picked up some PP in the same new yellow bottle, and it DOES have the Dexos label.

I also have some Ultra which is in their older black bottle, and that bottle shows the designation... so I don't get it. Why would they remove the certification from their new bottles? Website says its the exact same "stuff" inside the bottle... one would think that the label would help sales... after all, it made me think twice (still bought it though!). What gives?

Originally Posted By: RichardS
There's a new Dexos coming out later this year, perhaps they're just preparing for the new label while avoiding have old stock to clear out?

That would be my guess as well. Dexos1 V2 goes live in September, maybe they don't have the v2 license yet, so as a preemptive thing they took it off for now.
Look on the back to see if there is wording for the Dexos1 spec being met.

Last edited:
Still doesn't make sense... if they choose to adopt the Dexos1 v2 designation, then they are STILL gonna have to print new labels to show it off... why not - for the current and present time being - print the label with the current Dexos label? Then change it when the new v2 comes out?

Their regular Platinum bottles have the Dexos label, and thats also in the new yellow bottles.

No sign on the back either....

Since Ultra doesn't have dexos1 Gen2 approval as of now, that may be the reason they decided to leave it off the jugs and bottle labels.
Their lower cost Platinum syn does have Gen2 approval. Seems strange.
Sept. 2017 is the deadline for the new Gen2 oils. I assume dexos1 Gen1 oils can't be produced with the dexos1 symbol after Sept. 1, unless of course they have a Gen2 symbol on the label.

you found PUP in stock? And in the new yellow bottles?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
shocked2.gif

And, we don't get the cool French language words printed on our labels. I don't see PUP in walmarts. Sad.
Legally they can't put dexos1 Gen2 labels on them since they don't pass or they haven't tried passing all the new tests. Could be it has to be reformulated slightly in the future to gain the dexos1 Gen2 status. Not now though. Failed LSPI perhaps??? Likely fixable.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Since Ultra doesn't have dexos1 Gen2 approval as of now, that may be the reason they decided to leave it off the jugs and bottle labels.
Their lower cost Platinum syn does have Gen2 approval. Seems strange.

The same thing happened during the original dexos1 rollout.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
shocked2.gif

You can get it on Amazon. I buy from the Dodge dealer ($6.80 per quart). I noticed the lack of the Dexos label on the new yellow bottles as well.

I have been fortunate that I have never worried about the dexos1 label thing. Be it the 2013 Silverado I had, the current 2015 Silverado I now have, or my 2006 Cadillac (which never had a dexos1 recommendation anyway). I just use a oil that claims a dexos1 compatibility, even though I only moderately concern myself about whether it does, and have never used a oil that had the label or was on the "approved" list. And since the dexos1 Gen 2 thing only goes into effect later this year, it would only apply to 2018 model year vehicles anyway, so I will not concern myself with it either.

We currently have the PUP on sale at our local Canadian Tires for $35 per 5L jug = GREAT deal. Canadian Walmarts do not carry Ultra Platinum that I have ever seen.

I understand the inability to put the Dexos 2 label on the bottles, but why not brand it with the Dexos 1 label?? Thats my question. The regular PP - in the same new yellow bottles have the Dexos 1 label, so they went that far to print it with the Dexos label, but why not on the Ultra? Its the same as the old black bottles of Ultra having the label, those will still be perfectly fine and salable (and will still likely be found on some shelves, albeit covered in dust) right beside some of the new yellow bottles. Why not REPRINT the labels when the new dexos 2 comes out? It will likely be reformulated anyways, so new label for a new product.

Originally Posted By: HOG
Why not REPRINT the labels when the new dexos 2 comes out? It will likely be reformulated anyways, so new label for a new product.

SOPUS seems to be frugal with their labels. Did we ever have dexos1 labels on our PUP in the new style bottles? The stuff is so hard to find, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back