The many varieties of M1 full synthetic - all the same for 3-5k OCIs?

When perusing M1 5W30 at the big box stores (Walmart, Costco, etc) and online I noticed that there are about a half dozen M1 lines in most popular weights - Advanced Formula, Triple Formula, Truck/SUV, ESP, FS, etc. I did see some had longer OCI recommendations than others but aside from the Euro formulas and their associated Euro certifications, it’s hard for me to discern a difference.

Being ultra cautious and doing 3-5k OCIs would there be any difference really at all between their different versions on my new Mazda I-6T? I found a full bottle and about 1/3rd left bottle of the regular M1 I bought at Costco months ago for the initial big service on my Acura so if it’s all the same for my vehicle and OCIs this would be a good way to not waste what I already have some remnants on hand.

*pic of what I do have, not sure what version to actually call this…

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpeg
    IMG_3123.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 82
Not trying to hijack your thread, but... What do you think of your CX-90 so far? I have a 2016 CX-9 that is getting a little long in the tooth and was in the beginning stage of researching a replacement. The CX-90 is one of the candidates on my list, along with the Toyota Highlander and Kia/Hyundai Telluride/Palisade.

I'd love the hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but... What do you think of your CX-90 so far? I have a 2016 CX-9 that is getting a little long in the tooth and was in the beginning stage of researching a replacement. The CX-90 is one of the candidates on my list, along with the Toyota Highlander and Kia/Hyundai Telluride/Palisade.

I'd love the hear your thoughts. Thanks.
I do work for Mazda so I will try to be objective. We had a ‘21 CX-9 Signature which fit our needs very well. Our family is composed of myself, my wife, and our 2 medium sized dogs. So the 9 was essentially a 2 row suv with a big cargo area that our larger dog was posted in on longer trips. So far, the 90 feels like an even more solid vehicle. To get the 2nd row bench seat for the dogs did require us to downgrade in trim levels a bit but overall the trade in has been worth it.

I will say that our car was manufactured in July and the transmission is notably smoother (still not ZF8 smooth, I expect numerous software updates over the years) than the cars made earlier in the year. The 280hp “standard output” engine in ours is perfectly fine and builds power very linearly; the CX-9 hit you with a surge of torque at low rpm’s but was completely out of steam last 4500rpms. While this car is no X5M no matter what the YouTube reviewers say it does drive so much sharper and solid than say a Highlander or any of those class of 3 rows.

The combo of Eplan pricing, Mazda loyalty rebates for current CX9 owners, and 2.9% 60 month financing in this market made it a no brainer for us. My wife adores this new color too - Platinum Quartz over Greige (Mazda made up word for a mixture of gray and beige) leather. The icing on the cake is the fuel economy. I drove to our other location this morning for a meeting and even with only 350/ish miles on the car my 25 mile trip mpgs on 90% interstate was 30mpg.

Attachments

• IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3021.jpeg
    IMG_3021.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3023.jpeg
    IMG_3023.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3119.jpeg
    IMG_3119.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 44
When perusing M1 5W30 at the big box stores (Walmart, Costco, etc) and online I noticed that there are about a half dozen M1 lines in most popular weights - Advanced Formula, Triple Formula, Truck/SUV, ESP, FS, etc. I did see some had longer OCI recommendations than others but aside from the Euro formulas and their associated Euro certifications, it’s hard for me to discern a difference.

Being ultra cautious and doing 3-5k OCIs would there be any difference really at all between their different versions on my new Mazda I-6T? I found a full bottle and about 1/3rd left bottle of the regular M1 I bought at Costco months ago for the initial big service on my Acura so if it’s all the same for my vehicle and OCIs this would be a good way to not waste what I already have some remnants on hand.

*pic of what I do have, not sure what version to actually call this…
They are NOT same oils!
Ep has better base stocks.
ESP is for Euro cars with min HTHS 3.5, more sophisticated package.
FS is also for Euro cars, High-SAPS, min. HTHS 3.5 (3.6 in that oils case). It is positioned also by Mobil1 as entry track oil.

They are NOT same oils!
FS is also for Euro cars, High-SAPS, min. HTHS 3.5 (3.6 in that oils case). It is positioned also by Mobil1 as entry track oil.
Interesting. I’ll use what I have left for the basic version and look at trying out EP after that.

I was at Costco a short while ago and picked up a 6qt case that had a $10 instant rebate at the register. Maybe this could be found for slightly cheaper elsewhere but I did notice with the rebate it was $5 cheaper than Kirkland in the same weight 6qt case.

Attachments

• IMG_3131.jpeg
    IMG_3131.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 30
FWIW I got 12 qts of Kirkland Dexos spec delivered for $39 plus tax last week. I typically don't buy quart bottles but I'm educating my grandson in keeping his beater car topped up and wanted a container that was more user friendly.

Use Mobil1 ESP 5W30.
The way things are going in few pages:
1. Does it have to be synthetic?
2. It would be good if it had 4 speed hydramatic.
I have searched for 5W30 ESP and it seems to be hard to find. Do most people special order this flavor?

I have a 3.5 EB F150. It has 67k miles and I have used the dealership for OC thus far. First time ever I’ve let the dealership change my oil. Now I have regerts! Should’ve done my own with Full Synthetic all along. Just watched the YouTube video about the turbo oil screens! Yikes!

I just got 2 jugs of Kirkland for $38.99 at the store. I’m going to stick to 5k OCI which seems more than reasonable for this oil.

Good luck with the Mazda. I just dumped my 21 Palisade for an older GX460. The wife actually likes it better! 185k miles and it just purrs along. I’d stay away from Hyundai Kia. It was eating coolant somewhere but never leaked it. I could smell it after driving though. Now, no more payment!

They are NOT same oils!
We know they’re not the same base oils. But at 3-5k OCIs as OP has relayed, any M1 will work fine and the less expensive works just as well as EP/ESP in that instance.

We know they’re not the same base oils. But at 3-5k OCIs as OP has relayed, any M1 will work fine and the less expensive works just as well as EP/ESP in that instance.
I agree. IMO, given a specific base oil, the only likely difference between Euro oils and API oils other than viscosity/HT/HS is possibly the AO content, but even that is not an issue if you use one of the extended performance oils.

Back