SuperTech Advanced vs High Mileage vs Full Synthetic

I finally got in all the results for samples of SuperTech Advanced, Full Synthetic and High Mileage. Engine is the high output 440 horsepower 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. I have also included results of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 and Quaker State Euro 5W40 just to compare against SuperTech. Pennzoil next column and QS Euro last column on the multi-report.

I did this to see if there was a difference between the 3 SuperTech oils. The "Advanced" version seemed to squeak out slightly better results...

This is in no way a scientific type of sampleing. I really do not have the time or motivation to conduct a thorough rigorous scientific test. This is just a casual test of the oils on the Walmart shelf.

I noted the 5 quart jug of "Advanced" is now $21 at Walmart.

To my eye the formulations and results look similiar, but the "Advanced" version seemed to squeak out less iron wear. 7 vs 9 ppm is not a huge difference. The variance could be do to a lot of other factors besides the oil. I think if you went to Walmart and grabbed any one of the 3 you would not go wrong.

Screenshot_20230531_163638_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230531_163503_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230531_163303_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Wear is a wash, 2ppm is noise.

However, it's interesting to note that both Advanced and High Mileage appear to have more phosphorous. The High Mileage run has a fair amount of fuel in it (like probably around 5%).

At 3000 miles you probably won't see a different at 7000 or 10000 I would say there may be more of a difference.

Thanks for posting. I know it costs extra, but you might've seen a difference at the TBN level. That's what you would expect anyhow: the Advanced should have a higher TBN then the other two at the same mileage. Any idea why the HM result had so much fuel in it?

Thanks for posting these UOA comparisons of the 3 SuperTech full synthetic 5W-30 oils.
The high mileage full synthetic version appears to be the best value giving you the most for the least money.

I have the Walmart credit card, with 5% cash back on all online purchases (either delivery or store pickup).
So the 5 quart jug of SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil is $19.98 * 95% = $18.98 / 5 quarts = $3.80 a quart + tax.
The high mileage full synthetic version has more phosphorous, treats my engine seals, and is marketed as a 10,000 mile oil.
At $3.80 + tax per quart, why pay more?

Last edited:
At 3000 miles you probably won't see a different at 7000 or 10000 I would say there may be more of a difference.
I agree, they are all within their comfort zone at 3K miles.
Curious what the TBNs would have been.

Thanks for posting op!
Advanced has more moly. :ROFLMAO:

You must have a clean engine. But with EcoBoost I wouldn't go more than 6-7K either.

Last edited:
I've looked at the extended ~10k oil change intervals UOA's of SuperTech Full Synthetic oils here on BITOG.
There is no measurable differences in wear metals as compared with any other full synthetic oil.
This has convinced me to be brand agnostic, and to just buy the lowest priced Group III Full synthetic oil, whether it be
SuperTech at Walmart, or other brands on clearance sales at other retailers.

I've looked at the extended ~10k oil change intervals UOA's of SuperTech Full Synthetic oils here on BITOG.
There is no measurable differences in wear metals as compared with any other full synthetic oil.
This has convinced me to be brand agnostic, and to just buy the lowest priced Group III Full synthetic oil, whether it be
SuperTech at Walmart, or other brands on clearance sales at other retailers.
Right there with ya

There is a $40...sometimes $45...12 quart box of SuperTech Full Synthetic. At my Walmart they always have 4 or 5 of these. Basically you get a 6 quart pitcher off of Amazon and thats how you transfer it. So about $3.75 per quart.

Single UOAs and seeing a 2ppm Fe difference and saying that indicates one is slightly better than the other is not how UOA works. The only meaningful difference I see is a bit of fuel dilution and the subsequent viscosity and flash point drops with the high mileage run.

Thanks Navi for the UOA comparisons - The SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 seems like a solid choice as it has a strong amount of Phosphorous and Zinc anti-wear additives in the UOA. It's my strategic oil for all my vehicles going forward. I even think it's a superior oil to Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 as the Pennzoil anti-wear additives for phosphorus / zinc were anemic and were so low they were below API spec. See this thread:

I unfortunately got quite a few of the 5 quart jugs of the Pennzoil Platinum high mileage full synthetic 5W-30 at the Tractor Supply clearance sale for $9.49. So in my stach, I plan to use those Pennzoil 5 quart jugs up first and then after that I'll put Pennzoil on my permanent "Do Not Buy" list.

Thanks again Navi for posting those UOA's. SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 is my strategic choice for all my vehicles.

Thank you.

For a vehicle with high mileage, would the HM be a better choice than the advanced?

2013 F150 5.0
103k miles
5-6k OCI with MC filter

Why is there a need for HM In your engine? 103k without consumption issues or leaks is not a need. Even if your engine was young, still-not a need. When I begin to see new passenger vehicle engines with HM oil used as factory-fill, then I'll start considering using it.

Why is there a need for HM In your engine? 103k without consumption issues or leaks is not a need. Even if your engine was young, still-not a need. When I begin to see new passenger vehicle engines with HM oil used as factory-fill, then I'll start considering using it.

I figured condition the seals to avoid leaks.

I tend to think the new formula required for API SP is tight and little room for adjustment. Thus there isnt much difference between the oils on the shelf.

I plan on testing more soon...

View attachment 158906
The extended 20k mile line might have a little ester or something to help with deposits. Might have a better base stock. Unfortunately the UOAs can’t tell us.
The difference is probably not very significant.

Back