Mobil 1 success

Dont forget Aunt Jemima...and Uncle Bens converted rice...
And then the NFL teams - maybe they are offending some of the animals - don’t want any butt hurt Lions around me 🙄 for sure …
(and, the Texans have offended me with that name) …

In before boomer comments regarding mascotts and woke culture...opps too late!
IMG_1954.jpeg

Mobil schmobile. Those idiots can't even tell us what FS means yet we trust them to make oil?

I need to go look at my oil filter. I put that FS (I think it's probably really Fudgey Solution) in there last time. I am SO ready for the brownies I get to scrape off of the filter!

What an odd thread this is.
Should we add comments about putting magnets on oil filters in here?
Or does a group 3 oil shatter as it passes by a magnet, and lose all of its slipperiness.
By the way, if Santa is not real, who eats so many cookies in my house.

Mobil 1 branding is good. I know what I'm grabbing when I go for it. I still tend to use Castrol just as much, but I feel like every few years I really have to study the bottle to make sure I'm getting the right stuff since their design seems to change more often. My preferred oil is Mobil 1 0w40. I do buy Castrol 5w40 when it's a better price though. Really all I need is a VW502 oil and I stick with Xw40 of some sort because my car is tuned and runs higher boost. Some swear by Liquimoly but it seems almost cult like and I can't buy it on the shelf here and I don't want to pay more to have oil shipped to me.

So yes I apparently fall for the Mobil 1 marketing, but 0w40 Euro is well labeled, reasonably priced, and readily available. I can't always say the same of the Castrol. It's sometimes just not on the shelf here.

Mobil 1 branding is good. I know what I'm grabbing when I go for it. I still tend to use Castrol just as much, but I feel like every few years I really have to study the bottle to make sure I'm getting the right stuff since their design seems to change more often. My preferred oil is Mobil 1 0w40. I do buy Castrol 5w40 when it's a better price though. Really all I need is a VW502 oil and I stick with Xw40 of some sort because my car is tuned and runs higher boost. Some swear by Liquimoly but it seems almost cult like and I can't buy it on the shelf here and I don't want to pay more to have oil shipped to me.

So yes I apparently fall for the Mobil 1 marketing, but 0w40 Euro is well labeled, reasonably priced, and readily available. I can't always say the same of the Castrol. It's sometimes just not on the shelf here.
There is also QS Euro 5W-40 - very good oil.

I had Marrie Callender's chicken in gravy with mashed potatoes and sweet corn for lunch. The best $3.50 I ever spent.

You don't have to spend a bundle to get good oil, that's for sure.

I liked those clear bottles, especially when Ollie’s was selling for $1 a quart.
I keep hearing people talk about Ollie’s and how they have some great stuff, but I haven’t had the same experience. Must be my local Ollie’s sucks (I’m 10 mins away from murdermore I mean Baltimore) and the only stuff I find I mine is shudderfix, and STP oil cleaner. Very depressing

All brands have marketing to consumers and business. Castrol originally competed against M1 with their name Syntec. The rest including Castrol keep changing their names to market synthetic oil. Now M1. They’ve always stayed the same with their M1 marketing Always been Mobil 1 with the 1 in black against a grey bottle. The rest. Change x times a year it seems. M1 also spends billions on pushing to OE Mfg as far as factory fill. Etc. I know on this forum, we all know M1 and Castrol. I myself tend to trust brands that stay true to the original. Imagine if MCD/ in n out changed their logos constantly. Would they still be successful in their respective business?

If you want to bring up the lawsuit with M1 and Castrol. Sorry. But a true synthetic only comes from IV/V base stocks. Anything less you have to heavy modify to make it perform as a group 4/5. It’s sad that court ruled in favor of Castrol.
Nice Friday night drunk rant.

Your opinion doesn’t matter. You buy the product, they get rich.

I keep hearing people talk about Ollie’s and how they have some great stuff, but I haven’t had the same experience. Must be my local Ollie’s sucks (I’m 10 mins away from murdermore I mean Baltimore) and the only stuff I find I mine is shudderfix, and STP oil cleaner. Very depressing
It’s really hit & miss as to what you find there.

The average car on the road in the US these days is 12.5 yrs old (not sure what that means in miles accumulated) but I think this shows we're doing some things right.

The average car on the road in the US these days is 12.5 yrs old (not sure what that means in miles accumulated) but I think this shows we're doing some things right.
How many average miles are on these 12.5 year-old rides?.... my guess would be around 8k per year....100k.

BTW....At the cash register, Franco American would beat the snot out of Chef Boyardee. Frankie would also beat up anyone that took a picture of him and put it on the can of his Spaghetti with Hotdog Franks.

No O's or Meatballs about it.

Last edited:
Back