The many varieties of M1 full synthetic - all the same for 3-5k OCIs?

I have searched for 5W30 ESP and it seems to be hard to find. Do most people special order this flavor?

I have a 3.5 EB F150. It has 67k miles and I have used the dealership for OC thus far. First time ever I’ve let the dealership change my oil. Now I have regerts! Should’ve done my own with Full Synthetic all along. Just watched the YouTube video about the turbo oil screens! Yikes!

I just got 2 jugs of Kirkland for $38.99 at the store. I’m going to stick to 5k OCI which seems more than reasonable for this oil.

Good luck with the Mazda. I just dumped my 21 Palisade for an older GX460. The wife actually likes it better! 185k miles and it just purrs along. I’d stay away from Hyundai Kia. It was eating coolant somewhere but never leaked it. I could smell it after driving though. Now, no more payment!
Our AZ has both 0W30 & 5W30 ESP … sometimes with oil & filter deal …

I have searched for 5W30 ESP and it seems to be hard to find. Do most people special order this flavor?

I have a 3.5 EB F150. It has 67k miles and I have used the dealership for OC thus far. First time ever I’ve let the dealership change my oil. Now I have regerts! Should’ve done my own with Full Synthetic all along. Just watched the YouTube video about the turbo oil screens! Yikes!

I just got 2 jugs of Kirkland for $38.99 at the store. I’m going to stick to 5k OCI which seems more than reasonable for this oil.

Good luck with the Mazda. I just dumped my 21 Palisade for an older GX460. The wife actually likes it better! 185k miles and it just purrs along. I’d stay away from Hyundai Kia. It was eating coolant somewhere but never leaked it. I could smell it after driving though. Now, no more payment!
It is readily available in Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but... What do you think of your CX-90 so far? I have a 2016 CX-9 that is getting a little long in the tooth and was in the beginning stage of researching a replacement.
A 2016 is long in the tooth ? I guess that makes my wife's 2012 plumb ancient . :p It runs fine ,doesn't burn a drop of oil , no rattles or squeaks , etc. She's going to run that thing into the ground ..

A 2016 is long in the tooth ? I guess that makes my wife's 2012 plumb ancient . :p It runs fine ,doesn't burn a drop of oil , no rattles or squeaks , etc. She's going to run that thing into the ground ..
I'm glad your having such good luck with your 2012 model. How many miles do you have on that vehicle? I typically run my cars into the ground as well. Mine is also running well, but it has over 140,000 miles on it. I like to be ready and researched when a car is coming up for replacement. I don't anticipate the life of this vehicle extending too much beyond 200,000 miles based on forced induction and the cars well known and documented likelihood of cracking its cylinder head/cooling problems.

Not really. It doesn’t work that way.
Maybe not exactly, but there’s no data to prove there is a difference, but there are several people (@tig1 for example) who has multiple vehicles and decades on regular M1 @ 10k intervals over 200k miles that show there’s no appreciable difference… short of a tear down. And why would one tear down a well-running engine?

Of course there’s differences between the base oils and additives. But in undemanding environments at short intervals, the performance is indistinguishable to the end user. It’s one reason why HPL does not recommend their oils to people who change at short intervals or OLM, IMO.

I'm glad your having such good luck with your 2012 model. How many miles do you have on that vehicle? I typically run my cars into the ground as well. Mine is also running well, but it has over 140,000 miles on it. I like to be ready and researched when a car is coming up for replacement. I don't anticipate the life of this vehicle extending too much beyond 200,000 miles based on forced induction and the cars well known and documented likelihood of cracking its cylinder head/cooling problems.
I think it has about 150k . Not a lot considering it's age . She retired and then went back to work but it's a very short drive .

Maybe not exactly, but there’s no data to prove there is a difference, but there are several people (@tig1 for example) who has multiple vehicles and decades on regular M1 @ 10k intervals over 200k miles that show there’s no appreciable difference… short of a tear down. And why would one tear down a well-running engine?

Of course there’s differences between the base oils and additives. But in undemanding environments at short intervals, the performance is indistinguishable to the end user. It’s one reason why HPL does not recommend their oils to people who change at short intervals or OLM, IMO.
There is more to it. Noack, deposits, cleaning etc. There are numerous cars running regular M1 EP, then there are numerous whose engines don’t run well on it.
One thing is for sure, more stout oil means less probability of an issue. At least in an engines that don’t require specific approval. In those that require, there shouldn’t be any discussion.

It's your choice. Close your eyes pick which ever one you'd like. For the CX-90, Mazda specifies basic API ILSAC recommendations. 3-5k mile oci will be no issue for any M1.

Last edited:
According to this, (for a 2024) CX-90 with the inline 6 turbo ...

The only mention I can find of the oil specs are:

Specifically on page 5-256
1696975456300.png

and on page 9-18
1696975621044.png

The only mention I can find of the oil specs are:
- USA/Canada ... 0w-20 with API certification
- other than USA/Canada ... 5w-30 with API of SM or higher

IOW, any of the Mobil 1 varieties would suffice, especially for such short OCIs.

Also, the Mobil 1 product selector does not yet have the Mazda brand in the 2023 or 2024 years loaded into its system yet, so the recommendation(s) for this engine are not yet published. However, given the fairly "broad" (benign) Mazda oil "recommendation", I don't think it's critical to debate the nuances of which PAO synthetics are "needed" for short OCIs in this application.

Last edited:
Back