2018 Toyota Camry / V6 instead of Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me a cynic, but

Quote:
“The American customer loves a V-6, right? That is my understanding of why we have to keep the V-6,”

reads to me as "we haven't figured out turbocharging yet".

Only a 10% take rate on the V6? Would have guessed higher. I know my 2.5L will feel the load a bit, with everyone in the car, once we hit the hills.

It's more for long-term reliability than anything IMHO. That's why they sell so many vehicles

Unlike Volvo who super and turbocharges everything in their premium lineup.
I'd hate to own one of those abominations outside the warranty period!

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Unlike Volvo who super and turbocharges everything in their premium lineup.
I'd hate to own one of those abominations outside the warranty period!

I owned an '86 Volvo 740 Turbo for 18 1/2 years. Never had a bit of trouble with the (oil cooled only) Turbo. Sold it to a friend who kept it for 5 more years without any problems with the Turbo. Volvo knows how to build 'em.

I've owned Toyota 4s and V6s too and they know how to build 'em too.

The Volvo he's referencing is Turbo AND Supercharged.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Call me a cynic, but

Quote:
“The American customer loves a V-6, right? That is my understanding of why we have to keep the V-6,”

Only a 10% take rate on the V6? Would have guessed higher. I know my 2.5L will feel the load a bit, with everyone in the car, once we hit the hills.

Toyota has and still knows how to turbocharge. Quite a few new Lexus are, and the next Yaris will come with that option.

I wouldn't mind having a simple turbo charged AWD Toyota.

Manual, cloth seats etc. You won't find this in a Lexus.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: supton
Call me a cynic, but

Quote:

Toyota has and still knows how to turbocharge. Quite a few new Lexus are, and the next Yaris will come with that option.

2018 Lexus LS500 is twin turbocharged 3.5L V6 to the tune of 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. Claimed 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds.

The Camry platform covers a bunch of models from Toyota and Lexus so they have to design it to have a v6 for their SUVs, minivans, premium models etc.

I like the turbo in the 2.7 pickup and the Chevrolet spark I rented as the low end torque at freeway speeds is very nice and the engines feel twice as powerful as they really are.

The V6 only accounts for 10% of the sales because Toyoter rapes you on the V6 option.
Crazy option up charge...

Yeah that sux Toyota, Nissan Honda all do the same thing. Which leaves you with the American sedans with v6's for under 30K. And if your gunna spend 32-34k might as well buy a fusion sport get awd and 300+ hp.

That V6 is one sweet engine. My aunt bought a new Avalon a few weeks ago, that thing moves really nice down the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back