Toyota Camry 2.5-liter Dynamic Force 4-cylinder VS. Honda 1.5L Turbo

Not sure if a lot of you guys saw my other post. But, I'm helping my sister look for a car before she gets married (4~ months). She looking at the new Accords. The new Accord that fits her budget is an EX w/ 1.5L turbo paired with the CVT. I am trying to steer her toward a 2023 Toyota Camry SE just because I feel like in the long run, the Toyota will last longer. I am not really sold on the 1.5L in the new Accord. I feel like it's a small motor for a big car. Plus, the turbo and CVT.

I know Hondas have been using the 1.5L since the 10th gen Accord. I've been reading about oil dilution issues. in those motors Plus, not a fan of CVTs. Dad's Accord has a CVT. It's been flawless but that's because we've maintained the fluid in it. Changed every 40k miles.

I'm not a huge fan of the 11th gen Accord looks. But, the Camry has had the same look since 2018. What's your guy's opinion on the two? Price isn't really a big issue. The Camry SE is like $600~ more. But, it's got more options than the Accord EX.
If possible, buy the April 2023 Auto edition hard copy of the Consumer Reports magazine.
The Toyota Camry is much better than average reliability across the board, while the Honda Accord is Average.
Since gasoline + repairs are the main costs of ownership, the Toyota Camry Hybrid @ 47 MPG overall looks like the best choice (that I would make). I love Honda's, but their cars seem to always have average reliability and low MPG while the Toyota's have much better than average reliability and high MPG for the hybrids.

We looked at the CR-V and Rav4 in 2019 - same platforms, same engines and drivetrains as the Accord / Camry options. Decided on the Rav4 primarily due to the drivetrain perspective seemed more reliable. Were happy with our choice, not to say the Honda wasn't nice also. Of course we keep our cars a very long time. If she is trading it in 5 years it likely doesn't matter.
Doubt she'll trade it in 5 years.

I’ve driven both and hands down the Honda is the better drivers car. So, I’ll be the lone wolf here and vote for the Honda. There are plenty of 1.5t/cvt combos in the Civic, Accord, and CRV that have over 100k miles with no issues. Small displacement engines with turbos are the way of the future until electric cars take over. Time to embrace change.

Buying a brand new car but doesn't have enough for the down payment. Sounds like a great decision. 🙄
We've been car shopping lately... there are NO great decisions in today's market.

Manufacturers have concentrated there limited production ability (chip shortage) on high-end cars. A huge deficit of lease trade-ins over the past 2 years have created a tight used car market, even before considering the pressure of lowered new car manufacturing.

As a result, junky high-mileage cars are going for $5k-10K. New car prices are way up and availability stinks.

Back