Toyota Camry 2.5-liter Dynamic Force 4-cylinder VS. Honda 1.5L Turbo

Not sure if a lot of you guys saw my other post. But, I'm helping my sister look for a car before she gets married (4~ months). She looking at the new Accords. The new Accord that fits her budget is an EX w/ 1.5L turbo paired with the CVT. I am trying to steer her toward a 2023 Toyota Camry SE just because I feel like in the long run, the Toyota will last longer. I am not really sold on the 1.5L in the new Accord. I feel like it's a small motor for a big car. Plus, the turbo and CVT.

I know Hondas have been using the 1.5L since the 10th gen Accord. I've been reading about oil dilution issues. in those motors Plus, not a fan of CVTs. Dad's Accord has a CVT. It's been flawless but that's because we've maintained the fluid in it. Changed every 40k miles.

I'm not a huge fan of the 11th gen Accord looks. But, the Camry has had the same look since 2018. What's your guy's opinion on the two? Price isn't really a big issue. The Camry SE is like $600~ more. But, it's got more options than the Accord EX.

Strictly from a looks perspective, I've been calling the Camry a "refrigerator" for years, but this year, the tables have turned and it is now the better looking of the two. I hate to say that Honda actually put effort into making the new Accord ugly and plain, but it sure seems like they did.

I'm with you on the 1.5's problems with fuel dilution. Also hard to believe that this is now the sole gas engine offering in the Accord. Seems like a big heavy car for such small displacement. They can't have killed the 2.0 due to low takers, because I see them on the roads all the time. I don't understand Honda's direction with the Accord this year, and this makes the Camry my new preference of the two.

Strictly from a looks perspective, I've been calling the Camry a "refrigerator" for years, but this year, the tables have turned and it is now the better looking of the two. I hate to say that Honda actually put effort into making the new Accord ugly and plain, but it sure seems like they did.

I'm with you on the 1.5's problems with fuel dilution. Also hard to believe that this is now the sole gas engine offering in the Accord. Seems like a big heavy car for such small displacement. They can't have killed the 2.0 due to low takers, because I see them on the roads all the time. I don't understand Honda's direction with the Accord this year, and this makes the Camry my new preference of the two.
At the end of the day, it's her car her money(somewhat). She asked me what I thought was more reliable. I told her IMO the Camry because it's got a N/A 4 cylinder and a normal transmission.

Last edited:
Long or short term ownership?

Hard to beat a simpler 2.5na/8speed in the Toyota
For altitudes/mountains, I'd take the 1.5T and cvt. CVT in the Honda might need a little more preventive maintenance.

Turbo's perform best on premium fuel. NA shouldn't make too much of a difference unless loaded or desert heat driving. Toptier for both regardless of cheapskate owners octane choice.

Coin toss if both are cared for really well.

And, research the 1.5T head gasket eating after 80k miles.

D4-S vs TGDI.... The former is less of a headache when compared the latter.

Long or short term ownership?

Hard to beat a simpler 2.5na/8speed in the Toyota
For altitudes/mountains, I'd take the 1.5T and cvt. CVT in the Honda might need a little more preventive maintenance.

Turbo's perform best on premium fuel. NA shouldn't make too much of a difference unless loaded or desert heat driving. Toptier for both regardless of cheapskate owners octane choice.

Coin toss if both are cared for really well.

And, research the 1.5T head gasket eating after 80k miles.

D4-S vs TGDI.... The former is less of a headache when compared the latter.
Not sure. Probably long-term. Knowing my sister, she doesn't know Jack about cars let alone maintaining them. Her fiancé is a car geek like me. So, hoping he'll guide her. This is her FIRST car she's actually going to pay for. Other two, my dad paid and took care of.

Just ran across this @Greasymechtech

Honda and Toyota probably make the most reliable CVT's in the world.

With that being said the Camry is the better option in my opinion, but as a Toyota owner myself do believe the fanboys out there who think Toyota is some God that will never break down because I got thousands of Rea$on$ why that is not true.

Honda and Toyota probably make the most reliable CVT's in the world.

With that being said the Camry is the better option in my opinion, but as a Toyota owner myself do believe the fanboys out there who think Toyota is some God that will never break down because I got thousands of Rea$on$ why that is not true.
Hell, we've had luck with Toyotas. Dad had a 1998 Toyota Camry. The thing was bulletproof. It had close to 190k miles on it. All we did was regular oil changes and that's really about it. The 2011 Sienna has 85k~ miles. The car has been problem free since we brought it in 2010.

The Honda we've had two issues so far. 1. Starter went out at 34k miles. 2. Timing chain rattle. Known issues with those 2.4L engines. No real fix. 3. Rust issue. Brought it new in 2013. Sitting at 94k~ miles.

What you should do is point out each cars strengths and weaknesses and go with her to test drive a Camry, an Accord 1.5 and an Accord Hybrid.

The Accord Hybrid doesn't use a belt and pulleys CVT.
I don't have the time to. The only day she's home is Saturday. I work Saturday unfortunately. The Accord Hybrid is out of her price range. On the other hand, she doesn't really want a Hybrid.

We looked at the CR-V and Rav4 in 2019 - same platforms, same engines and drivetrains as the Accord / Camry options. Decided on the Rav4 primarily due to the drivetrain perspective seemed more reliable. Were happy with our choice, not to say the Honda wasn't nice also. Of course we keep our cars a very long time. If she is trading it in 5 years it likely doesn't matter.

Back