We Bought a 2024 Odyssey

Exactly......give them time.
The engines and mounts are the same.

Never again a Honda product for me thanks .

They are just riding their past reputation wave.
Vcm should have been removed after gen 3.

No joke, every week 1 or 2 new people would joing odyclub to ask for advice with the 3k bill from their dealer to replace their oil drinking piston rings.
Or shot mounts, or shot front axles, or shot front brakes, or peeling off paint, or shot alternator, or broken door motors,.....all under 100k.
Dealers do it and laugh ever time, saying see you soon, again.

It's sad. I have owned many Honda's prior to the Odyssey.
But surfing the civic and pilot forums it's not much better at all
I think you’re being a bit harsh.

After owning and driving this Odyssey for several weeks, I really enjoy how it drives, and it really does have a feeling of quality to it. And im not just saying that because we bought one.

Of course, it’s more complex than our old 4Runner, and they made some reliability compromises for economy and convenience. But, then, even reliability and longevity king Toyota is now making compromises (they’re being forced to) to keep up with the rest of the industry, which keeps adding more and more electronics (which they say customers demand), and making engines more and more complex (downsized forced induction engines) and less reliable in the name of efficiency.

But I think, truthfully, most of the deposits brought on by the VCM system can probably be avoided with frequent oil changes, using a really good name brand synthetic known for keeping an engine clean, such as PPPP or PUP or M1, to name a few. Dirty oil = more evaporation in the crankcase = more deposits left behind on rings, and in the intake tract.

Personally I decided to just muzzle ours. But I’ll still change the oil frequently (I changed it at 2500 miles using PPPP 5W-30, and will change again at 5000, and then every 5000 miles thereafter.

This next oil change, for the hot months, it’ll be getting the M1 ESP 0W-30 that I got for $27.99/jug at Walmart. That 3.5 HTHS will give me that warm & fuzzy feeling when I redline it through a couple of gears on an on-ramp with a rooftop cargo carrier when it’s 97° outside this summer!

It’s a minivan, do you haul your family around taking curves at redline?

It's more a question of how satisfying is it to drive under all conditions.

In terms of comparative performance to large platforms of yore it's pretty amazing how dynamic they can be.

It's a sweet little rig.

I think you’re being a bit harsh.

After owning and driving this Odyssey for several weeks, I really enjoy how it drives, and it really does have a feeling of quality to it. And im not just saying that because we bought one.

Of course, it’s more complex than our old 4Runner, and they made some reliability compromises for economy and convenience. But, then, even reliability and longevity king Toyota is now making compromises (they’re being forced to) to keep up with the rest of the industry, which keeps adding more and more electronics (which they say customers demand), and making engines more and more complex (downsized forced induction engines) and less reliable in the name of efficiency.

But I think, truthfully, most of the deposits brought on by the VCM system can probably be avoided with frequent oil changes, using a really good name brand synthetic known for keeping an engine clean, such as PPPP or PUP or M1, to name a few. Dirty oil = more evaporation in the crankcase = more deposits left behind on rings, and in the intake tract.

Personally I decided to just muzzle ours. But I’ll still change the oil frequently (I changed it at 2500 miles using PPPP 5W-30, and will change again at 5000, and then every 5000 miles thereafter.

This next oil change, for the hot months, it’ll be getting the M1 ESP 0W-30 that I got for $27.99/jug at Walmart. That 3.5 HTHS will give me that warm & fuzzy feeling when I redline it through a couple of gears on an on-ramp with a rooftop cargo carrier when it’s 97° outside this summer!
It's my opinion based on 2 years of owning an odyssey. I muzzled it first thing and still had a slew of issues.
This was my 5th or 6th Honda.......and it was so bad. It will be my last.
Sure it drove great......that was never the issue.

It was the quality and sheer number of parts to replace very early on.

A few members had one of their rear shocks snap in half while driving .....

And as I said, all my issues were extremely common across club odyssey.

Enjoy yours. Just baby the thing.
Early oil changes to keep those rings clean.

The front bank gets so dirty from the super crappy PCV system.

It looked like tooth plague under there with 0w20 dealer syn.

It's my opinion based on 2 years of owning an odyssey. I muzzled it first thing and still had a slew of issues.
This was my 5th or 6th Honda.......and it was so bad. It will be my last.
Sure it drove great......that was never the issue.

It was the quality and sheer number of parts to replace very early on.

A few members had one of their rear shocks snap in half while driving .....

And as I said, all my issues were extremely common across club odyssey.

Enjoy yours. Just baby the thing.
Early oil changes to keep those rings clean.

The front bank gets so dirty from the super crappy PCV system.

It looked like tooth plague under there with 0w20 dealer syn.
What year was yours?

Honestly, you should have bought a sienna. Even with the inherent failure point of a hybrid vehicle, the Toyota hybrid would have been much lower maintenance and more reliable.

Last edited:
Hasn’t been an issue in about 10 years, at least not widespread.

Those issues were most prevalent between 2005-15.
2011-18 gen 4s are the worst offenders at the moment. Go check.....it's literally 1-2 new people every week.
I don't understand how Honda can say there are no issues. And how they can keep taking money from people who property cared for their vans.

Some Gen5s were starting to trickle in.
It's the same vcm system as gen4 so I don't think they are immune.
We had a late model gen 4.

Honestly, you should have bought a sienna. Even with the inherent failure point of a hybrid vehicle, the Toyota hybrid would have been much lower maintenance and more reliable.
I mean, you may be right about the lower maintenance and higher reliability.

I knew it was a more complex vehicle and potentially had some trouble areas when we bought it.

But it was a compromise I was willing to accept, in order to get the benefits (much faster, more fun to drive, better fit & finish, nicer interior, removable middle row with magic slide, larger interior with larger trunk area, better ride, etc).

Sometimes, ultimate reliability isn’t the most important factor in the purchase decision. Witness the decisions of many here to buy Euro brands. For them, performance and being fun to drive and other things about certain Euro brands ranks above ultimate reliability and low maintenance in their list of priorities.

IDK.

We’ll see.

We planned to keep the 4Runner essentially forever, but we didn’t know how quickly our family was going to grow.

With the Odyssey, I see no reason we would end up needing something else for the foreseeable future, so this should be a good data point for the reliability and I’ll certainly report here about it.

Do you know if anyone here has the new Sienna?

I don’t care what anybody says, the thing is fun to hustle around the curves of the backroads around my house! Of course, on an extended backroad drive, the inadequacies (brakes, suspension, heft) would start to become noticeable. But it’s still fun.

Heck I’ve even thought about taking it for a day trip by myself out to Deal’s Gap/Cherohala, etc.

Can’t take the wife because she gets carsick.

Only problem is that she needs the van to haul the kiddos on the days I’m off.

I don’t care what anybody says, the thing is fun to hustle around the curves of the backroads around my house! Of course, on an extended backroad drive, the inadequacies (brakes, suspension, heft) would start to become noticeable. But it’s still fun.

Heck I’ve even thought about taking it for a day trip by myself out to Deal’s Gap/Cherohala, etc.

Let’s race, my Grand Caravan vs. your Odyssey!

C’mon 62TE transmission don’t blow up now!

My favorite is the cold start exhaust note.

Stand back there when it first fires up.

Back