We Bought a 2024 Odyssey

Trust me.
Your van will destroy that crappy OEM fluid in short order.
Especially if it's always full of people.

30k tops if you want it to last a long time.
Anything to back up your claims?

Not trying to be rude or confrontational or anything.

Just genuinely curious.

Does anyone have evidence that the OEM transmission fluid is conventional?

Has anyone gotten a VOA?

Is there a UOA posted here?

All the same, I'll be doing a spill and fill every 30k on mine. I'll probably be there this weekend on my '22.
I mean, yeah, a person can do a d/f whenever they want. It's just that it's not like the old DW-1 days or the ZF trans.

I mean, yeah, a person can do a d/f whenever they want. It's just that it's not like the old DW-1 days or the ZF trans.
The bottles say "SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING" in big red letters which I've never seen before.

I'm assuming it's some secret sauce. At least it's inexpensive.

The bottles say "SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING" in big red letters which I've never seen before.

Pretty sure when I was part of a discussion last, almost all Honda ATF says that. I think they're just giving people a pre-emptive heads up to avoid what Pennzoil has had happen at the bottom of some of their jugs. And idk if I'd call $10-15/qt ATF "inexpensive" when you can buy jugs of Maxlife for $17-25 of 4 quarts. :LOL::ROFLMAO::alien:

Anything to back up your claims?

Not trying to be rude or confrontational or anything.

Just genuinely curious.

Does anyone have evidence that the OEM transmission fluid is conventional?

Has anyone gotten a VOA?

Is there a UOA posted here?
Just experience of owning one and all the feedback on odyssey forums from other users.

The Honda 5,6,10 speeds are not like conventional autos.

They are very hard on the crappy OEM fluid.
Which is not a syn.

Big vehicles ody and pilot that get driven loaded really toast the fluid.

It has the 10 speed, not the 9 speed ZF. Super frequent ATF changes are not needed on the 10 speed like they are on the 9 speed.
The zf is horrible.....

The Honda auto is very different from conventional autos......
Almost like auto standard transmissions.

Vcm active odys are even worse because when vcm activates the trans locks and unlocks multiple times. Generating excessive heat

I’d guess just a precaution against the add pack settling at the bottom.

I always shake oil bottles just in case anything has settled out.

Just experience of owning one and all the feedback on odyssey forums from other users.

The Honda 5,6,10 speeds are not like conventional autos.

They are very hard on the crappy OEM fluid.
Which is not a syn.

Big vehicles ody and pilot that get driven loaded really toast the fluid.
Eh, an oil being synthetic does not equate to long life.

The DW1 issues seem to be related to the deterioration of the friction modifiers, not the base oils.

Eh, an oil being synthetic does not equate to long life.

The DW1 issues seem to be related to the deterioration of the friction modifiers, not the base oils.
Sure
Synthetic fluids are not more shear stable?

Both maxlife and amsoil stay in grade for more than twice the length.....as per various uoa reports.
We are talking base fluid not friction modifiers.

Honda even changed the shifting points and torque converter lock function for the gen 4 ody because of this.
The trans was generating too much heat for the fluid in the 30k change interval.

Using maxlife I and many users experienced no shift degredation at all.

I'm putting tires on it this weekend, so be ready for that. 30k on the OEM Bridgestones to the wear bars.

My Grand Caravan ate through the OEM Yokohamas in about 40k miles.

I installed Michelin Defender LXT and they are closing in on 60k miles and still not on the wear bars. I rotate every 10k miles or so.

Maybe the Odyssey is more aggressive with the camber or something, but still, expect more life from quality tires vs the OEM. I would not sweat it. 50k-60k is probably achievable.

My Grand Caravan ate through the OEM Yokohamas in about 40k miles.

I installed Michelin Defender LXT and they are closing in on 60k miles and still not on the wear bars. I rotate every 10k miles or so.

Maybe the Odyssey is more aggressive with the camber or something, but still, expect more life from quality tires vs the OEM. I would not sweat it. 50k-60k is probably achievable.
I switched to the Continental CrossContact LX25 on our 2019 Odyssey Elite. They were phenomenal tires right through to when we traded the van in. There's a thread somewhere with some pictures and feedback.

Edit - Found the thread

I also had Michelin Defender LTX on our 2015 Sienna AWD. They were great tires as well and wore like iron, which is uncommon on a minivan that gets frequent city driving.

Sure
Synthetic fluids are not more shear stable?

Both maxlife and amsoil stay in grade for more than twice the length.....as per various uoa reports.
We are talking base fluid not friction modifiers.

Honda even changed the shifting points and torque converter lock function for the gen 4 ody because of this.
The trans was generating too much heat for the fluid in the 30k change interval.

Using maxlife I and many users experienced no shift degredation at all.
Staying in grade doesn't seem to be the issue. DW1 shears pretty quickly but works perfect until the friction modifiers do not function effectively.

Also, IME, all of the multi-vehicle fluids shift poorly in the Honda 5 and 6 speed autos. Sometimes not right away, but after 20-30k, the shift quality is never identical to OE.

Back