Next Generation Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any intel on this?

I see that there is a 4 cyl JDM odyssey that went on sale in Japan in late 2008. It is very small, and doesn't look like something meant for the north american market though.

We are very close to buying a 2009 odyssey and I am concerned about doing that if they are changing next year. We went through that with our 2003 Acura 3.2 tl and will be taking a beating on the trade-in compared to the next model year (which sold for almost the same price).

It may all be moot because my wife wants this van NOW and I'm not about to make her wait 2 more years. But if it's expected in 6-9 months, I could probably hold her off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Didn't they change the last Odyssey in 2005? If so, I'd say it's in for another change here soon. Typically every 4-5 years. So maybe in 2010 they'll have a new one. If you change cars that quick you'll take a hit no matter what. Is it worth losing a few more grand in trade in value later on and getting the minivan now? Another thing to think about is that the first year of a model may have bugs that they need to work out. If you end up getting a first year van that has a big bug, then kiss its resale value goodbvye. It's actually not a bad idea to go with a model that's been out for a couple years; in the middle of its production years.

The Odyssey should be due for a redesign with the next model year.

While you may take a beating on the trade-in value, you will be able to purchase a deeply discounted 2009 model once the redesigned one launches. You may even save enough to offset the loss of future trade-in value.

In addition, a 2009 model is less likely to have problems than a freshly redesigned model. Considering that first year Honda products have been less than stellar recently, I would take that into account.

Hmmm, info for me to ponder since the wife is circling the Honda lot like a hungry great white. Although, I'd point out that I bought an 02 CR-V and there was really no benefit to waiting on it. They only thing that changed over time was an extra cog in the transmission and the availability of leather. Then, when the current gen came out, I thought "ewwww!"

Right now is probably a good time to buy the current Gen Odyssey. It has been out for a while and most bugs are probably worked out by now.

Jim, word on the streets is nothing major until 2011. There were also rumors of a diesel option, but we all know how those pan out. It's a great van. I'm afraid I'll never get my wife to part with an Ody and she is NOT a car person. We've got 2 more years on the lease, and chances are we'll get another. I don't see the logic in the $35K loaded Odys, when you can buy a basic LX for $23K, but then again, I drive a Cobalt!

Joel

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
It may all be moot because my wife wants this van NOW and I'm not about to make her wait 2 more years.

Come on, get her a 535i Touring instead. :)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
It may all be moot because my wife wants this van NOW and I'm not about to make her wait 2 more years.

Come on, get her a 535i Touring instead. :)

Or an X5 with the 4.8.

I tried to get her interested in an Audi Q7, but she didn't like it because she said it looked too much like a wagon, which in my books would be preferable to a mini-van.

Anyhow, we have agreed on a price for an Odyssey and the 3.2TL will be traded in for the van. She has this strange desire for a mini-van, can't explain it. Will be easier than the Acura though, which served us well for close to 7 years.

Congratulations. You'll love the Ody, and trust me, you won't miss the Q7.
wink.gif

I've heard that there are some great prices on remaining 2008 honda's if they have one you like. The 08 and 09 Qdy are nearly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back