1995 Honda Odyssey (RA1)

Replaced the thermostat, and figured that I might as well clean out the EGR ports while I'm in there. I'm glad I did... Those ports were plugged solid, literally. Cleaned it out the best I could, considering the tools & time available. Not 100%, but better than it was for sure. I'm surprised OBD1 didn't trigger the CEL for that.

Old thermostat, replaced with FailSafe:
PXL_20230719_154033113.jpg

Plugged EGR ports in the intake manifold and EGR plate:
PXL_20230719_140227711.jpg
PXL_20230719_140243805.jpg
PXL_20230719_140300237.jpg

A small improvement. Not perfect, but will do for now. Only had a screwdriver and lavender household all-purpose cleaner to work with. Smells delicious.
PXL_20230719_143342806.jpg
PXL_20230719_143434098.jpg

Last edited:
These are so cool. They are the perfect size when you don’t want to cruise full boat. And there are so many things you can do to take care of and love on a honda 2.4.

how’s the trans? hows the suspension?

it’s almost like this one has aged back into current modern style!

These are so cool. They are the perfect size when you don’t want to cruise full boat. And there are so many things you can do to take care of and love on a honda 2.4.

how’s the trans? hows the suspension?

it’s almost like this one has aged back into current modern style!
I like it. These came with a 2.2L F-Series engines. 2.4L is a K-series and never came in an Odyssey in USA. It did come in the Odyssey/Shuttle overseas though.
Trans is very long-geared for the 2.2L sub-130hp engine. But plenty to keep up with traffic and even pass a slowpoke here and there.
PXL_20230720_002801332.MP.jpg
Pretty stable at 100mph. Shifts are so firm that it'll crack your neck. But should continue to be reliable, I'll do drain and fills occasionally.
Suspension is typical 90s "wishbone" Honda. Handles more like a wagon, rather than a van. I like it, good balance of being comfortable and able to curve some twisties. May need a bushing or two in the rear.

I remember when those came out, such a revelation - a minivan from Honda! OMG!
In reality, just a very tall Accord wagon, but nothing wrong with that, that 2.2 Accord engine is seriously bulletproof.
Never, ever see them up here anymore, rust got them years and years ago. Cool find!

That’s a clean dash!

srs, I wonder if the clock spring to the steering wheel is shot. do all of the other wheel controls work?
So far yes, with all of those wheel controls being two "Horn" buttons. Turn signals still turn off when straightening the steering wheel, so clockspring is likely ok. One day I'll get around to it with a wire jumper and see what that SRS code is about.

So far yes, with all of those wheel controls being two "Horn" buttons. Turn signals still turn off when straightening the steering wheel, so clockspring is likely ok. One day I'll get around to it with a wire jumper and see what that SRS code is about.
Turn signals won’t use the clock spring. Just the horn and airbag. Cruise control if you have it?

Turn signals won’t use the clock spring. Just the horn and airbag. Cruise control if you have it?
For some odd reason I thought the clockspring triggered the turn signal to reset after a turn. I guess not.

Cruise control does work. It didn't initially, because of a worn out grommet on the brake pedal switch. Quick fix, works now.

Remember that recent video about project cars? Where it took a week to install the air box in a Viper? Well, I had a mini version of that...
PXL_20230921_144207357.jpg

It all started with "I need to change the washer fluid pump."
Turns out I'm the first person ever to remove this bumper since 1995, as it had all the original brittle annoying clips.
Headlights are in the way of the clips to remove the bumper. And bumper happens to be in the way of bolts to remove the headlights. Nice dead end loop...
Well, my gorilla 🦍 mode kicked in and I ripped the bumper out, destroying those clips I couldn't get to. In Hindsight I should've just removed the whole crashbar. That would save the 28 year old plastic clips.

Then, while I'm at it - I decided to finally fix the air intake. As it looked like this:
PXL_20230921_144235808.jpg

Ripped out the leftovers of stock air intake system (big white plastic box) and replaced the whole assembly with premium, best of the best, eBay CAI. Also known as the Deep Puddle engine drink pipe.
PXL_20230921_144219780.jpg
PXL_20230921_144223149.jpg

Then, while I'm at it, I decided to install the Accord bumper lip. I think it turned out ok for the hackjob that it is...
PXL_20230921_171537561.jpg

Then, while I'm at it, I changed the oil and filter. In went Mobil 1 Delvac Extreme 15W-40. With SuperTech oil filter.

I think that's enough for today. Lots of hiccups along the way (split washer fluid line, gummed up connectors, rusty bolts, etc.) and somehow this minor job to "replace the washer fluid pump" took me almost 5hrs. Not gonna lie, it was fun though.

Next time I gotta replace the lower knuckle bushings in the rear, but chances are - I'll end up lowering the van on all 4 corners, while I'm at it... :D

Back