New Odyssey EX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Though I mentioned this in another thread, I'll start a new one as a running Honda Odyssey thread. We just got a new one, sort of right place, right time. Was sort of an accidental thing but we just happened upon a situation where we ran into a van at an unlikely dealer due to rain when we were at the beach. We were about 60 miles from home, beach day, showed up in our bathing suits and left with an extra car.

What we got was a brand-new never registered 2014 Odyssey EX in obsidian blue pearl.

We got it for a very good price, negotiated to include the all weather floor mats, cargo tray, roof cross rails, a voucher for a brand-new free battery (we knew it was flat, the car was sitting inside, off to the side as part of a display), vouchers for free oil changes, and the trailer hitch tow package being installed at cost.

The car was never registered so the warranty started yesterday when we signed the papers. I didn't actually look at the door tech to see which month in 2014 it was built but I do suspect that it was a late build.

We are super happy with it, everything about it is really great, though I am rather uneasy about having two giant touch screens on the car. what made me a little bit more easy about that is that I can turn them both off completely. I like also that you could turn off the electric door is just completely and the doors moved as fluid and easily as the nonexistent ones on the LX model.

The blue is a really nice color very close to the Lemans blue on my BMW.

i'm very pleased with the breaking, the acceleration, the noise level, and the fit and finish of all the materials. The automatic transmission takes a little bit of getting used to and it does exhibit some slight clunk at very slow rolling or a rolling stop but it appears that there is a TSB for it.

We have a few hundred miles on the van already just from the weekend of use, and in mixed driving with a bunch of idling but slightly over 50% highway use, The computer claims that we have averaged 27.9 miles per gallon. We will see.

C837A7C2-8E36-42F9-B407-0EC5332F93BC_zps9qhtxzk0.jpg

3C8201FF-4EC7-48F0-BC8D-B2C02C7090A6_zps2tlmrgtd.jpg

E4410D1F-1928-4E88-AA60-5A6EE112FD4F_zpstrpvtxsi.jpg

I will fully disclose that we DID finance the car. Because we showed up in bathing suits with one credit card, and weren't about to drive home at 5pm on a Saturday, we had to get creative. They let me charge a bunch on my credit card, which is great for me because I used the citi double cash card and effectively got a 2% discount on that much. They would have gladly taken a personal check, but we didn't have one, so we just put the rest on the current deal, 0.9% for 36mo IIRC, which let us leave with the van. American Honda or whomever will get a check as soon as I get the papers.

We're really happy and excited. Everything about the van is right. They really do make a great one. I will watch for the AT and the VCM. The AT is part of the reason I haggled for the factory kit, to get the AT cooler.

So, what do I need to know about these? I'm a bit surprised to see the OLM at 90% already (yesterday I confirmed it was 100.

Can anyone confirm Honda v6 FF is a true break in oil? If so, I'll leave it for the distance.

After that and the freebie changes, what oil? I was thinking M1 AFE or EP.

When should I change the at fluid, and should I use amsoil, Honda, or something else? Is it a spin on at filter?

Are there oversized filters for Honda 3.5L engines?

I recall my wife and a friend who had integras always had issues with the plastic radiators, anything to keep tabs on?

A cousin in laws Acura had a seemingly unsolvable PSF leak. I'm guessing a tl is a similar platform to an odyssey. There's a lot of mass and tire to turn. Anything to watch with the PSF?

Anything else??

Thanks!!

Nice ride! That clunk-i-ness at low speed is a Honda trait as far as I am concerned. My previous and current Honda are like that. Its hardly jarring, but you know its there. Enjoy!!!

Very nice!
My wife and I are going to Tour the factory where the Odysseys/MDX/Ridglines/Pilots are made - in Alabama this coming Thursday.
Hopefully she will like it enough to actually want to agree to purchase one.
She's hung up on the - "It's A Minivan" argument right now.

Very nice colour!

Pretty sure Honda wants you to leave FF in until 15% on maintenance minder...after that any 0W-20 will fit the bill.

Do these Oydyssey 3.5's have the cylinder deactivation? If so, could be an issue with oil breakdown and sludging, although I don't think this model has that issue.

Very nice! Congratulations! Now you too can obsess over which 0w-20 is 'best.'
wink.gif

To address two things:

The clunk on s rolling stop is mentioned in an odyssey TSB, so I suspect we will get some software. It's tough to get to happen all the time.

There is VCM apparently when the Eco light is lit. I think I can feel it on the highway because it's not clunky but you can almost feel a hiccup, sort of like when the ac compressor clutches on.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Very nice! Congratulations! Now you too can obsess over which 0w-20 is 'best.'
wink.gif

I've got enough cars that take 40wt oils, maybe I'll rebel and use it here.

Or not.

Nice van, congrats. I'd run either m1 or pp. A good coat of sealant like klasse, and some scotchguard on the seats ( juice is going to get spilled back there.) and you are ready to go!

P.S. being up north, are you going to fluid film it?

Last edited:
Congratulations ...!

We have an 06 and the car has had a mostly steady diet of M1 0w-20 for most of its 78k miles. Threw in TGMO 0w-20 once and noticed a big difference - much quieter.

Most recent fill is M1 0w-20 EP... Not a fan. Seems loudest of all

Good luck... A great, versatile vehicle

I was wondering about scotch guard and if I should get a few cans and go wild....

I'm up towards Albany every so often, so I'll probably drive it up and go to the carwell distributor up there which Donald has used.

Or if we end up in Canada I'll go to krown possibly.

Nice looking van!

From what I've read about Honda FF, it's a special break-in oil high in molybdenum. The OM will say to leave it in til the MM is down to 15%. My Pilot has the same 3.5 VCM engine and I left the FF in til 15%. The filter is spin on.

Regarding VCM, I'm not a fan. It's too complex a system to squeeze out a few MPGs. You feel vibrations from the system engaging/disengaging and it's kind of annoying in city driving. The vibrations tend to be stronger in colder weather. On the highway it sometimes sounds like you're driving on those shoulder rumble strips. This requires accelerating out of the roughness. The clunk you're feeling from the tranny could possibly be from the VCM. Some people are more sensitive to the VCM's roughness than others.

Honda recently settled a class action lawsuit regarding the VCM system prematurely fouling out spark plugs and increasing oil consumption. The rear engine mount supposedly also fails early due to the strain from the system going from 6-to-3 cylinders. Some things to keep and eye out for.

Regarding maintenance, I choose to ignore the MM and change my oil every 6 mnths/5K miles using whatever 0W20's on sale at Wally World. VCM is indeed hard on oil as evidenced by the UOAs on here. I'd use Honda filters while you're under warranty. I recently did a tranny D/F at 15000 miles to get all the break in material out and will keep doing this every 15K miles due to Honda's shaky tranny history. For PSF, stick with only the Honda stuff. The PS pumps in 90s/early-2000s Hondas had a tendency to leak at the pump cover seal. There was also a TSB on the high pressure hose o-ring sucking in air on some V6s but that has since been addressed. Plastic radiators in general have a tendency to leak. The one in my Accord has almost 200K miles on it and is still good *knock on wood.* The one in my Infiniti, though, didn't even last 100K miles. Go figure.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I just wanted to offer my $.02 about this engine. My best advice to you is to do the following:

The VCM loves kicking on at 65 mph on level ground. If you notice excess vibrations, rumbling or jerkiness here, take the van back to the dealer and have them open up a case with Honda. Cruising at 65 mph on the highway is when VCM should technically be the "smoothest"
and if it isn't, it's a sign that it'll only get worse as the van ages.

Last edited:
Love the color of the Van...

Our friends have a 2014....nothing but smooth sailing at almost 30k.

(They use Amsoil every 7-9k)

Quote:
Are there oversized filters for Honda 3.5L engines?

Wix 51344 is the biggest oil filter ** if ** you have space around the housing.

Nice Odyssey, love the color.

I was a mechanic (now a UPS semi mech) at a Honda dealer in the 90's. That oversized filter won't do a thing other than make a warranty claim denial possible. Keep your oil change receipts in a safe place and write the VIN number along with the date and mileage on them. As with any manufacturer, a certain number of failures will happen.

Last edited:
I'm doubting I'll have any oil-related failures, but I do keep receipts and logs. I'm figuring OCI is around 7500 miles like our old integra, but tbd. First few changes are at the dealer which helps with the paper trail...

Congratulations!

Now join the odyclub. Those guys have already come up with a solution for the VCM which is completely reversible and absolutely no factory wiring is cut. Just buy it from the person who makes it.

I love that color but be aware that this is the color which Honda had problems in the past. This color had been included in the paint peeling recall for many different Honda models. Odysseys of different generations, I have seen paint peeling off only on this particular color. Given how meticulous you are in maintaining your vehicles and the paint, you should have zero problems but just something to keep in my mind.

Come to the other side and join us as a participant :)

I'm already a member at odyclub
wink.gif

Interesting about the blue paint... Have to think about the "right" protection then... Especially (I assume) on the roof and hood)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back